Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are all religions equally harmful? (Islam)
Are all religions equally harmful? (Islam)
Sometimes this question bugs my mind. Atheists criticize religion, but we don't criticize all religion equally. If you asked me which is the most criticized religion by atheists I would answer (without a fucking doubt) Islam. For American atheists criticizing Christianity seems like a civil rights necessity and I completely understand the cause. But let's get the facts straight:

- If we simply look at the wikipedia page about terrorist groups and organizations we will see that the majority of them are Islamic based (there are also separatist, communist and white supremacist ones). Islam is undoubtedly the most harmful religion in the world nowadays. You don't need to be a genius to realize this, if someone decided to claim today that Mohammed spoke to him that person would be labelled as clinically insane

Answer to my own question:
- I don't think all religions are equally harmful - I recognize some cause more harm and need larger criticism or counter-attacks. My priority is to criticize Islam since in my country the number of Catholics is progressively decreasing and I don't have to deal with many religious nuts in positions of power.

I think atheists can and should criticize all religions, and every individual person can set up his/her own priorities. But make no mistake, some religions are way worse. Islam, at least Islamic terrorism, is our higher priority right now.

The west's failure to acknowledge the fact Islamic terrorism is due to religion and not exceptional mentally handicapped incorrect and twisted ideologies perpetuated by crazy people has to end. If you interview a Jihadist or a guy from Al-Qaeda you'll see that religion is what motivates them, it's all about religion, it's not about excessively violent people - Muslim terrorists rationalize their behaviour and think they are 100% right, and their ideology is based on Islamic holy books (Quran, Sharia and others).

Don't bring the argument that Christianity was bad with the crusades and the inquisition - I don't care about the past right now, we have managed to domesticate Christianity (Catholicism at least, and Anglicanism, Lutheranism and Calvinism) and even if we compared the Christian theocracies with the average Muslim country, the latter still wins the contest of Who's more harmful?. I know that in the US there are problems with Christianity that should be actively fought, and it's a pressing concern. But do you want to compare the Westboro Baptist Church with Islamic terrorists? Shit, even the KKK and the European Hammerskins/Aryan Brotherhood seem weak. This isn't meant to imply you can't solve problems in the US related to a lack of secularism but Islam is still the world's most harmful religion and it's something that can be objectively measured.

What do you think? Is my reasoning correct? If you answered no (Like I'm doing), then what are your priorities? Which religion is worse and which is more harmful to you?

Final thoughts - I think all religions are equally false and I can't stress this one enough, but there are so many false claims in the world to fight against that we ought to worry about harmful false viewpoints. Islam is one example, but I don't allow Christianity to get a pass. Buddhism also gets the occasional criticism when shit happens. Judaism goes unnoticed and should get a bit more of criticism, particularly in Israel. (I'm not talking about Jewish culture and ethnicities, only about Judaism as a religion regardless of the practitioner's race)
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Are all religions equally harmful? (Islam)
Of the Protestant ilk, Christian Science has recently come up as a particularly vicious false religion.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 15, 2015 at 11:14 pm)Dystopia Wrote: but we don't criticize all religion equally.

I do.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Tough for me to relent on Mormonism, it seems EVERY revelation, rite, belief, stricture, edict, history, etc. has been befouled by the church hierarchy.

LDS is especially false.

ROFLOL
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 15, 2015 at 11:47 pm)Sionnach Wrote:
(February 15, 2015 at 11:14 pm)Dystopia Wrote: but we don't criticize all religion equally.

I do.

I'm pretty sure that's a false statement. You probably can't name every religion on earth (including small sect religions with little believers) and you probably don't criticize all religious as frequently and with the same intensity. You are not going to tell me you criticize someone who believes in reincarnation the same way you criticize someone who blows everyone sky high around him
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(February 16, 2015 at 12:08 am)Dystopia Wrote: I'm pretty sure that's a false statement.

It is not, but thank you for playing.

(February 16, 2015 at 12:08 am)Dystopia Wrote: You probably can't name every religion on earth (including small sect religions with little believers)

Irrelevant. I do not need to personally know all the world's religions. If it is under the category of religion, then I criticize it for preferring the comfort of fantasy over the harsh truth of reality.

(February 16, 2015 at 12:08 am)Dystopia Wrote: You are not going to tell me you criticize someone who believes in reincarnation the same way you criticize someone who blows everyone sky high around him

I am going to tell you that I to criticize them the same. See how easy that was.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Hell, I'm not consistent at all. The Baneemyites are more fucked up than the Mormons, and I speak glowingly of them. Of course, they've been defunct for over a century now, and as all the adherents realized, it was a criminal enterprise to enrich their elder Thompson whom they nearly lynched when they FINALLY caught on to his scam.

I lurv the name, Baneemyite !! They were also known as the Conjespresites, which is almost as good.

Con - - - Congregation of

jes - - - Jehovah's

pre - - - Presbytery of

sites - - - Zion

Quote: Atheists criticize religion, but we don't criticize all religion equally

Well, they're all bullshit. In this century, islam is more dangerous.
(February 15, 2015 at 11:14 pm)Dystopia Wrote: Which religion is worse and which is more harmful to you?

No religion has ever harmed me. A few little twerps may have dented me a touch, but I ascribe that to their internal dipshittery, not to their faith.

Religion itself hampers free and rational thought so it is dangerous, but most are dangerous only to it's followers, while some like islam are a threat to everyone.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 18 910 January 23, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How would Abrahamic religions end? mota 18 8645 August 2, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Does atheism oppose the world religions? cosmology 31 6060 January 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheistic religions Der/die AtheistIn 21 6671 August 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Do religions represent God? Little Rik 138 22384 February 3, 2017 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Let us think why humanity developed several religions but only one science? Nishant 10 2871 January 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religions future in the world... Won2blv 21 3508 June 15, 2015 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Religion is Harmful to Society z7z 24 4651 May 23, 2015 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: comet
  Do we need to study all the religions to know that God doesn't exist? Twisted 14 4351 May 9, 2015 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  pointing out the unethical treatment of women in religions makes me a meanie? justin 4 2767 March 2, 2013 at 3:35 am
Last Post: justin