Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing
Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing
Yikes! Signed on to a similar site that is not like this one, I guess!

Tried to point out the need for scientific proof of spiritual healing before assuming it's bogus. And got jumped on for not providing scientific proof, when that's what I am asking to set up. Duh.

I get it that people aren't used to the idea of using science to prove something not established yet as far fetched as spiritual healing.

I've got a live one or two on my tail. I don't know how to calm them down, as they have me pegged as something else, I'm not sure what.

Feel like I opened a can of worms.

Is anyone else on other sites? Can you help me out, please PM me. if you are on the same site, can you invite the two posters there to come here, where there is not this jumpy attitude.

Why can't we discuss this rationally how to set up scientific studies so there is no need to jump on people for asking? Jumpin Jehovah Jelly beans!
RE: Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing
I would suggest brevity.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Spirituality will be in their minds outside of what science can discover. it is the new hiding place of all woo including the Christian god.
I think the phrase is "non-overlapping magisteria"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-overlapping_magisteria

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

You'll have to define what 'spiritual healing' is and then ask for suggestions on setting up a double-blind experiment to test it - assuming it is testable in that way. If it isn't, forget it.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
If you can't demonstrate a spirit, then you can't move on from there. Don't put the cart before the horse.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Hopefully someone can aid my ailing memory, I believe about ten years ago the John Templeton foundation funded some research into the effectiveness of prayer in healing.

I think Dawkins referred to it in the God Delusion too due to what a spectacular failure it was but it's been too long since I read it. It's a good starting point, because it was organized by Doctoral tier Theists from the great "Theologian families" in the U.K, long regarded as leading lights in modern Anglican and Roman Catholic Theology and it largely blew up in their faces. I just can't remember what the project itself was called.
1) Ask them to define spirit.
2) Ask them how it is falsifiable
- If it is not falsifiable, it is not scientific.
3) Ask them how they ruled out all the other natural explanations
- The "tell me what the natural explanation is in X phenomena" is an argument from ignorance. They have to prove that a natural explanation is impossible.

That should be enough.
(February 16, 2015 at 7:10 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: If you can't demonstrate a spirit, then you can't move on from there. Don't put the cart before the horse.

"Spiritual" doesn't require a spirit any more that "elfin" requires an elf. You still know the referent.

(February 16, 2015 at 7:22 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote:
(February 16, 2015 at 7:10 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: If you can't demonstrate a spirit, then you can't move on from there. Don't put the cart before the horse.

"Spiritual" doesn't require a spirit any more that "elfin" requires an elf. You still know the referent.

If this is true. Revise my first quetion "what is spiritual healing?"
Spirituality = woo.

And I don't do woo.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 6635 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Seeking meaningful advice from atheists Ad Astra 85 5565 May 15, 2022 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: h311inac311
Lightbulb Grad student seeking atheist to interview brookelauren25 97 6462 February 21, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3648 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2556 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Is atheism a scientific perspective? AAA 358 59437 January 27, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 45400 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge LadyForCamus 471 67455 February 17, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12452 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  A question about the lifespan of scientific theories. Hammod1612 35 7063 January 16, 2015 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Alex K