Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One question I don't see asked enough.
One question I don't see asked enough.
In my 14 of online debate I have learned lots of arguments for and against god claims and religion. But one thing I do not think is asked enough by skeptics is this.

Ok, you have billions of people making all sorts of competing claims as to the nature of reality. So to those reading this, what is the best way settle disputes in competing claims? (This is more for the theist to answer, atheists already know the answer).
RE: One question I don't see asked enough.
See who can watch 2 girls 1 cup, goatse etc without vomiting after a session of prayer. I'm pretty sure we'd all be worshipping lord Anusius after that. Tongue
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Is our children learning?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 19, 2015 at 1:53 pm)Brian37 Wrote: In my 14 of online debate I have learned lots of arguments for and against god claims and religion. But one thing I do not think is asked enough by skeptics is this.

Ok, you have billions of people making all sorts of competing claims as to the nature of reality. So to those reading this, what is the best way settle disputes in competing claims? (This is more for the theist to answer, atheists already know the answer).

Uhm... By flicking through holy books and cherry-picking verses, that can be interpreted in a way serving one's viewpoint?

If that fails - crusading/jihading the shit out of each other, until all but one of the parties are exterminated, or forced into submission.

That's how we roll in the Bronze Age!
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
It seems the traditional way to demonstrate a religious belief is correct is to wipe out anyone who disagrees with you.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 19, 2015 at 2:05 pm)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(February 19, 2015 at 1:53 pm)Brian37 Wrote: In my 14 of online debate I have learned lots of arguments for and against god claims and religion. But one thing I do not think is asked enough by skeptics is this.

Uhm... By flicking through holy books and cherry-picking verses, that can be interpreted in a way serving one's viewpoint?

If that fails - crusading/jihading the shit out of each other, until all but one of the parties are exterminated, or forced into submission.

That's how we roll in the Bronze Age!

Cherry picking isn't providing evidence, it is excuse making.

Yes, when you cant beat them with logic or evidence just beat them into submission.

You summed up the human ego which is what religion really reflects. It is the dark side of our species evolution.
You compare miracles and characters like some sort of game of top trumps.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(February 19, 2015 at 2:08 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Cherry picking isn't providing evidence, it is excuse making.

Yes, when you cant beat them with logic or evidence just beat them into submission.
[...]

Well, sure... If you want to bring logic and evidence into this. Or we can just beat them. It's faster and requires - on average - less reading, thinking, debating and all that other "gay stuff".

(February 19, 2015 at 2:09 pm)robvalue Wrote: You compare miracles and characters like some sort of game of top trumps.

OMG, yes. There totally should be a multi-religion "Magic, the Gathering" type card game competition. After all, religious people are just nerds, only - you know - not smart.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Lol yeah that would be cool Big Grin they already started putting "God" cards into the game now. And a hilarious one called "deicide", which I misread as "decide" to begin with, that exiles a god. Haha!

But yeah. The nearest thing we have is god fighter by darkmatter2525, which you've probably all seen :p

Index of my best videos
(February 19, 2015 at 1:53 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Ok, you have billions of people making all sorts of competing claims as to the nature of reality. So to those reading this, what is the best way settle disputes in competing claims? (This is more for the theist to answer, atheists already know the answer).

This is the essence of Peter Boghossian's "Manual for Creating Atheists". If the religious have a good, working process for gaining knowledge about their sky daddy, why don't other competing claims come to the same conclusion? What are good and not-so-good ways to determine the truth of a claim?

It's like Chinese medicine - no agreement among practitioners on the required treatment or efficacy. No double-blind trials, no data, no nothing. The instant they did have that, it would become real medicine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  See Uranus and moon in binoculars, March 6, 2022 Jehanne 3 464 February 28, 2022 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Enough with the cliches Foxaèr 41 2581 October 24, 2021 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Your chance to see Melania standing next to a horse's ass...that isn't named Trump arewethereyet 8 678 November 24, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Let's see your electric car do THIS... onlinebiker 18 1149 November 11, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Don't be a shrimp. Ok, be one, but...... Brian37 100 6560 May 13, 2020 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  T-shirts you would like to see onlinebiker 10 1334 August 9, 2019 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Long time no see T.J. 15 1338 August 8, 2019 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? Drich 120 10759 February 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  If you see something, say something Foxaèr 24 2161 February 1, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Which types of threads would you like to see more from me? Foxaèr 21 3325 April 21, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: vorlon13