Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving force of an Atheist
Driving force of an Atheist
Alright, I'm sure all of us have pondered this question at least once, which is why i'm here. I've been an Agnostic for around 6 years now after I left an oppressive fundamentalist church, since then I was pretty content about the existence of no God, until last night.

I started a discussion within my head that lasted until the early morning about my life, and what the point was. If you work so hard in life, how does it pay off when you die? I understand I'll have no idea when I die.. because I'll be dead, but still what is the point in making strides in life when in the end you can't take a step back and say "Yep, I accomplished this"?

I'd like to make a point that I normally don't carry such depressive thoughts, actually I'm a pretty happy guy naturally, but this question is really pressing into me. The only answer I could really fathom is to make strides in life in hopes of making a difference in further generations.. but of course that clashes with the thought of "Well my life meter is going to reach 0 someday, so why not just do what I want?" Within federal laws of course.

So I ask you, how did you get over this hump?
RE: Driving force of an Atheist
I don't see it as a hump. I am well aware that when I die that is it. I see life as something to enjoy in the here and now, not just for yourself but also for those around you. Just because someone can't accept that when you die it is really over is irrelevant to the question whether it really is the end or not. And I see no reason to believe that death is not the end of my existence as a person. My molecules will be scattered eventually and end up some other place, but me as a person will seize to be.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Indeed what is the point? Why not just enjoy life now and give no heed to tomorrow?

I don't see it as a hump... it's just the reality (that we can do with our life what we will, but that others will also do with their lives what they will). It turns out that what I want to do is enjoy my life (currently a harder task than it should be)... and I want to let other people enjoy their lives so long as their doing so doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of life. And then, even if it does: it's just the reality that they have a life too... and that nothing is inherently right or wrong... and further that neutrality is the base position.

It's foolish to think that by a thing not being eternal... it is somehow weakened where it matters: the here and now. Extending a the time of a thing (such as life or love) does not make it more any more potent along any point of its being... similarly it is its being that must be remembered more than its time of being (for what is age but continuity over time?).

So I may have previously been in "this hump"... but no longer. It does not matter if it might make a difference after you are gone... unless its doing so makes a difference to you in the here and now (Example being I build a house for myself and my family... and it brings comfort to me that my house will be the house of several others... therefore I have mattered in their lives wether they realize it or not. The fact that you built it changes not that it is a house, and it might serve others after you are gone whether twas your intention or not. Similarly it may be scrapped to make way for a new supermarket.). All that matters to me really is that I enjoy my life and enjoy it more (which I enjoy making people happier... therefore all the more reason to do it). Smile
(March 16, 2010 at 10:30 am)leo-rcc Wrote: And I see no reason to believe that death is not the end of my existence as a person. My molecules will be scattered eventually and end up some other place, but me as a person will seize to be.

But you as a person will also continue to "live on" in what you have done and in the memories of others. Death is a derogatory term that means "lootable", so I've heard Wink
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(March 16, 2010 at 10:30 am)Saerules Wrote:
(March 16, 2010 at 10:30 am)leo-rcc Wrote: And I see no reason to believe that death is not the end of my existence as a person. My molecules will be scattered eventually and end up some other place, but me as a person will seize to be.

But you as a person will also continue to "live on" in what you have done and in the memories of others.

Memorable is also relative. Those that have interacted with me directly for as long as they live perhaps, but I can hardly remember anything notable from my own grandfather and he lead a much more interesting life than I have so far. I doubt that in 50 years time I will be remembered by someone for anything special.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
You will certainly fully die one day... but there are some who have "lived" for some time indeed... example being Plato.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I'm sure that more than 99% of people in history go unremembered by anyone in the future. I'm not quite sure where we all acquire a desire for worldwide admiration after our deaths. Maybe the key to getting over the hump is just having more humble goals. Go play guitar in the park with your friends and know that life's just a ride and you're lucky to have a front row seat. Do what you can to reach out to people and allow them to enjoy their ride too. Even if that only means helping out friends and family, just be a positive force and take people along with you. Do what you can to contribute to the wider community and world, but don't be discouraged if you can't donate as much money as Bill Gates. Your impact on the world, however humble, will surely matter to somebody more than you can appreciate in the only time that matters- the present.

Take care.
You know what's funny?

You're the fastest sperm.

You won.
(March 16, 2010 at 12:39 pm)tavarish Wrote: You know what's funny?

You won.

What about the other sperm that failed to win? They should at least be given a certificate for good effort or something!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Quote:What about the other sperm that failed to win? They should at least be given a certificate for good effort or something!

You mean like a participation trophy in Little League?
(March 16, 2010 at 12:48 pm)Ace Wrote:
(March 16, 2010 at 12:39 pm)tavarish Wrote: You know what's funny?

You won.

What about the other sperm that failed to win? They should at least be given a certificate for good effort or something!

Every sperm is sacred,

Every sperm is great,

If a sperm is wasted,

God gets quite irate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A higher force Excited Penguin 66 9083 August 12, 2015 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  "Don't force your beliefs on others" FreeTony 10 4573 January 6, 2014 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pastafarian wins right to wear spaghetti sieve on driving licence. downbeatplumb 20 12771 July 14, 2011 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Violet