Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newer Quran Translations
Newer Quran Translations
It was just by chance, but, when I was having a look at various translations I saw something interesting with Quran 51:47. Newer translations mention an expanding universe and older translation just say that the universe is vast. Have you found any verses like this, where the translator has let their desires cloud their view of the Quran?

It was in 1980, by the way, when the science in the Quran narrative really kicked off because the Saudis tricked all those scientists into saying the Quran was miraculous. (YouTuber TheRationalizer has subsequently interviewed [most of] the surviving scientists. Keith L. Moore is a notable exception.) This all started with Maurice Bucaille's book "The Bible, The Quran and Science". He wanted a quick buck, you know what I'm saying? If he actually believed the things he said in his book then he would have recited the Shahada. There is no evidence he ever converted.

Maybe this is just paranoia. However, I feel that the word "expanding" has been forced into the verse because newer translations have the benefit of newer science. And this is why I'll never accept free religious texts from people - because they clearly have an agenda. It's similar to how never Bible translations may sugarcoat the word "slave" with words such as "manservant" and "maidservant", or so I've heard (the Bible never interested me in the way the Quran has).

Below are some old Quran translations into the English language which you can compare to the never ones I have provided. You can verify all the translations by going to Quranx, which lets you pick which Quran translation (or none at all) you wish to view on a verse by verses basis.

1. Marmaduke Pickthall (a convert) translated the Quran into English in 1930 with his book "The Meaning of the Glorious Koran: An Explanatory Translation".
Pickthall
We have built the heaven with might, and We it is Who make the vast extent (thereof).

2. Abdullah Yusuf Ali (a Shia I think) published his Quran translation into English in 1934 with his book "The Holy Qur'an: Text, Translation and Commentary".
Yusuf Ali
With power and skill did We construct the Firmament: for it is We Who create the vastness of space.

3. Arthur John Arberry (who, to my knowledge, never converted) translated the Quran into English in 1995 with his book "The Koran Interpreted".
Arberry
And heaven -- We built it with might, and We extend it wide.

Now, compare those three to a couple of recent translations:

1. Saheeh International published their translation of the Quran into English in 1997 (source).
And this is their translation:
Sahih Intl
And the heaven We constructed with strength, and indeed, We are [its] expander.

2. Talal Itani published his translation of the Quran into English in 2012 (source).
And this is his translation:
Talal Itani
We constructed the universe with power, and We are expanding it

Are these people dishonest or am I just paranoid? Thoughts?

RE: Newer Quran Translations
I'm re-reading Robert Spencer's "Did Mohammed Exist" right now and in chapter 9 he is discussing how the earliest versions of the koran had similar problems.

Apparently, just like all religious horseshit, it says whatever the powers that be want it to say.
I don't know how to read arabic but I know that these days, Muslims who are into proving the quran is scientifically accurate tend to use this translation

Quote:Shakir
Surely your Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in six periods of time,

On the quran website all other translations say six days.

There are others but I can't remember now, it's been ages since I joined in a good Islam debate, I'm getting rusty.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Hmm, I don't know anything about this, but to me it does sound like trying to sneak stuff in that wasn't there to make it more credible.

But really, it's so much of a crock of shit that it would have to be entirely rewritten before it would represent reality in any serious way. No one with a brain is going to be fooled by this, it may be just massaging the ego of believers, giving more pseudo-scientific reasons to try and rationalize their belief.

But since I don't know anything much about it, I could be way off :p
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I smell a coverup
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

It won't be long before they'll start inserting the words "didn't" and "wasn't" to try and reverse the meanings of sentences. Not that religious people have any problem doing that themselves!

Eventually the bible and quran are going to end up like these books:

[Image: 220px-Houseofhell.jpg]

If you believe in evolution, go to verse 34. Otherwise, go to verse 2.

If you think god likes slavery, go to verse 98. If you think he finds it objectionable, go to verse 102.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Sounds like some rewrites to me. Pretty soon we'll see "Mohammed didn't punch the moon in half, but it'd be cool if he did!"
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Actually, the word "metaphorically" might start making frequent appearances.

The problem with them trying to pull this kind of stunt is that we're in the internet age, and people are going to see very quickly that the perfect word of god has been altered. You can't just get away with it like you could when it was written on the back of fag packets or whatever.

Index of my best videos
[Image: zakir.png~320x480]
(February 25, 2015 at 5:42 am)robvalue Wrote: The problem with them trying to pull this kind of stunt is that we're in the internet age, and people are going to see very quickly that the perfect word of god has been altered. You can't just get away with it like you could when it was written on the back of fag packets or whatever.

The internet is where religions come to die.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Quran support Theocracy? Leonardo17 76 2582 8 hours ago
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  New Controversies around the Desecration of the Quran Leonardo17 100 8622 August 20, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Quran and Hadiths annatar 34 20552 October 11, 2022 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Nas" is probably my favorite arabic word in the Quran Woah0 22 1279 August 22, 2022 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  [Quranic reflection]: The Big Bang theory in the Quran. WinterHold 62 4369 June 14, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How I'd Reveal the Quran To Humanity ReptilianPeon 23 2892 May 11, 2022 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Cavalry
  2-big bang theory in the Quran mo3taz3nbar 108 48866 April 3, 2022 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Quranic Reflection]: Quran vs Hadith- why the Hadith is false WinterHold 176 12297 January 15, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Quranic Reflection]: On reading the Quran.. WinterHold 1 860 July 24, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Quranic Reflection]: moon absorbed by the sun in the Quran: far future. WinterHold 253 14309 December 18, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: polymath257