Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is science educantion enough
Is science educantion enough
This article suggest that science education is not enough to persuade people to change their beliefs. It focus on the anti-vaxxers but the points it brings up are applicable to all science misconceptions and maybe even religion.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-med...e-hardline

Quote:You might think that climate sceptics would be likely to be more ignorant of science than those who accept the consensus that humans are causing a global increase in temperatures. But you’d be wrong. The individuals with the highest degree of scientific literacy are not those most concerned about climate change, they are the group which is most divided over the issue.

If this is true, how should you go about changing someones mind?
RE: Is science educantion enough
In the case of climate change, it's a case of them refusing to hear what they don't want to hear: That we need to make sacrifices in the short run and big changes in the long run. The fear is mostly based on economics. It's very short-sided IMO. They should see it as an opportunity to develop green tech and make a killing.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Intro science + Critical thinking classes + some basic logic classes = enough.
CT and logic would at least teach people how to evaluate an argument. It's disturbing that many people can't think a straight thought.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
Little/partial knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(February 25, 2015 at 2:46 am)Pizz-atheist Wrote: Intro science + Critical thinking classes + some basic logic classes = enough.
CT and logic would at least teach people how to evaluate an argument. It's disturbing that many people can't think a straight thought.

I tend to agree...

Isn't it spelt "edumacation" though?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 25, 2015 at 4:50 am)Alex K Wrote: Isn't it spelt "edumacation" though?

"Edumancipation", actually.
It's spelt, "Infodocu-edutainment".
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 25, 2015 at 6:00 am)robvalue Wrote: It's spelt, "Infodocu-edutainment".

I love that one! They had giant shark vs mermaid docu!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Is there room for listicles?
(February 25, 2015 at 6:19 am)Cato Wrote: Is there room for listicles?

10 astonishing reasons why listicles suck

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7636 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4240 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe