Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new, New Atheism
The new, New Atheism
So I came across this on FB.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/8885...s=og.likes

Who is ready for the new, new atheism? Is this really a thing? I guess I'm in. Religion, at least any variety which does't strive for some form of Sharia law, is fine with me. I just respond the same way I do when passed the lima beans, not for me thank you.

Supposedly we're experiencing a back lash of non-believers who are less anti-religious, who mine religion for practices of value for a secular life. Can't say that I personally am looking for more ritual in my life. Of course there is the example of one of the champions of atheism (names are more and more elusive for me) who advocates meditation.

I hadn't heard that 9/11 is thought to have spurred a more public stance against religion, attributing the acts of terrorism to the religiosity of those who carried it out. Maybe yes, maybe no. But the suggestion is that that has now burned itself out and in the reaction to that over-reaction, there is emerging some anti-anti backlash. News to me. But then this is the only site where I regularly hear from atheists.

I wonder if the new, new atheism will be the sort of thing around which communities will grow. There doesn't seem to be as much to rally around.
RE: The new, New Atheism
Needs a better, and more accurate name.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
How about "God is Bullshit?"

Should go over big in the south.
The author of the article seems to suffer from the same type of thinking I see in many atheists that want to distance themselves from the New Atheist movement, and that is that any critique of religion inherently ignores the benefits that religion can provide. It's easy to make that mistake with images of a seething Richard Dawkins running through your mind, but just because someone criticizes religion does not mean that they can't acknowledge that people have benefited from religion.

I realize that the New Atheist movement ended up simplistic, emotional, and reactionary, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. We could have endless threads about how religion harms us and holds us back as a species, so I think the benefits of religious ceremony and talk of psychological comfort are all secondary when compared to the legitimization of irrational thinking for which religion is responsible.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I swear, that I've seen a dozen articles saying ''Richard Dawkins has lost'' and ''Richard Dawkins no longer has any influence'' --- only to then see him gain more influence.

That article to me seemed like a hit-piece on Dawkins.
I'm with the OP - I fuckin hate Lima beans.
"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
I know, right?
So this is the Pibb Xtra of atheism?
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Pibb?
Pibb is clone of coke Pibb Xtra is a Cherry flavored soda.
They are pretty good and the other flavor is vanilla.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27093 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12463 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12135 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10472 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12004 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38063 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack