Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Pope has said sorry..
The Pope has said sorry..
Finally, after decades of child abuse by catholic priests and the shameless cover-ups, silence and self protection by the church the Pope has finally apologised and said sorry. But has this gone far enough?

What has the Pope apologised for? He's apologies for the crimes of individual priests. Well, I'm sorry that children were raped and abused in Church, I'm sorry that terrible things happen in the world, I'm sorry that they're happening right now in churches and beyond, but I'm not responsible for them. What the Pope is responsible for and what he has totally failed to acknowledge and apologise for is, in my opinion, the deliberate, clinical and systemic cover-up of these crimes by the institutional church in the interests of protecting its power, influence and its wealth.

And that's not just my view, it's also the view of three state inquiries as well as a number of inquiries around the world and it's not at all acknowledged in the Pope's letter.

Basically, he's shirked all personal responsibility and has failed to answer any of the charges levied at him and the authority of the church and has deflected this by simply and cowardly apologising on behalf of individual catholic priests.

So, he's not apologising for himself, he's apologising on behalf of others and at worst, this is a straightforward deceit as he's refused to engage with that which he's been asked to engage with and at best it proves that he just doesn't understand the nature of what he's being asked to deal with and that's a huge problem.

And what are the concrete actions that the Pope and the catholic church are going to take to ensure that these abhorrent and monstrous crimes can never be committed again? Well, it beggars belief and this I think is the whole problem with this church and it's refusal to engage with reality.

What is he going to do? Is he going to mandate and require under church law a protection policy that requires all Bishops to hand over information about priests who rape and abuse children to the authorities? No! His solution is to request all catholics in Ireland (and only catholics) to pray, to fast and to do penance, because that will fix everything Dodgy and secondly there's going to be an apostolic visitation which can be no more than paying lip service in the hope that people think something is being done. No mandatory handing over of information of abusive priests to the authorities, no action on the global scandal, no attempts to protect people in the developing world where cardinals still say this problem doesn't exist, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

These are the gross failures that the church has committed and the lack of any real and concrete action to address the crime of abuse as apposed to the need to evangelise people to try and get them back in the church show exactly where the priority of the Pope and the Vatican lies.

An apology is and should be a recognition of fault, and with that recognition should come a certain understanding of where the fault lies. It is clear to me now, with the publication of this letter, that the Pope sees no, or very little fault with the authority and structure of the church itself but instead with individual priests and the damage they have done. Until a realisation is made that the problem lies with the very way that the structure and philosophy of the church itself is formed and severe and far reaching changes are made, especially the absurd celibacy law, these words are going to do nothing to address the real problem.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: The Pope has said sorry..
words seldom do much against any real problems.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Child abuse is an institutional part of the church.

Many if not all of the bishops and archbishops that are now covering up the crimes of their priests

will themselves be guilty of the same crimes when they were priests.

To have an all encompassing and through investigation would decimate the catholic church at all levels.

(Not a bad thing IMO)

But they won't let that happen.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
It may be a notorius and horrid pasttime, but it's not a part of the institution of the church or part of it's doctrine.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

Doesn't say much for its fucking doctrines, does it?
(March 20, 2010 at 11:31 pm)tackattack Wrote: It may be a notorius and horrid pasttime, but it's not a part of the institution of the church or part of it's doctrine.

Not officially, no.

But what can you say about an institution that will excommunicate a priest for having an affair

with an adult woman but only transfer one that molests young children?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
That it's a corrupt institution?
(March 21, 2010 at 5:26 am)Zen Badger Wrote:
(March 20, 2010 at 11:31 pm)tackattack Wrote: It may be a notorius and horrid pasttime, but it's not a part of the institution of the church or part of it's doctrine.

Not officially, no.

But what can you say about an institution that will excommunicate a priest for having an affair

with an adult woman but only transfer one that molests young children?

A bit ironic,although here they also tend to simply move priests who are naughty.The age, gender and marital status of the owner of the orifice seems irrelevant.

In my opinion the issue has nothing to do with Christianity and everything to do with organised religion protecting itself ad its privileges

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The claim that religion is about fear as a general principle is simplistic to the point of idiocy. Religion is a human invention, it's purpose is to meet a range of human needs. Just as religious forms and individual commitment vary,so too do the needs addressed. The needs include; facing the fear of death, a deep need for some feeling of order, meaning and control,the need to feel a sense of belonging to community,and the feeling of being valued and loved. Above all, the appeal of religion is emotional and a-rational. THAT'S what makes it so powerful, pervasive and often pernicious.
That the people of the institution are corrupt, and working against their doctrines. Well put Padriac.

The problem with the catholic priesthood was a perceptional one.
When all sexual encounters are bad they all dealt with in the same way.
So the kidie fiddlers were dealt with in the same way they dealt with the ones having affairs with parishioners.
In the minds of the church it was all the same.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Straight from the Pope's mouth Foxaèr 27 1934 December 20, 2021 at 7:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why does the Pope wear such funny clothing? GODZILLA 22 3307 June 27, 2018 at 2:24 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Amazon Alexa said Jesus/God is fake/made up/fictional? uncool 33 5546 February 2, 2018 at 12:05 am
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Sorry about my "Hating Christians" post GoHalos1993 11 1589 June 4, 2016 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  For anyone who likes Pope Francis Creed of Heresy 26 3903 February 7, 2015 at 6:34 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Pope Francis even brings the Gospel to your pets Mudhammam 12 3118 December 14, 2014 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  As progressive as the Pope is, he's still a Pope... Napoléon 21 3907 November 18, 2014 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Pope Francis The Antichrist Christian 43 6265 October 30, 2014 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  you can read how great the Pope is piotrniz 11 2618 September 7, 2014 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  A friend said peace in the middle east is soon and god will return? masterx1234 25 5428 July 21, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda