Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 5, 2024, 3:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's a hard time being an atheist politician...
It's a hard time being an atheist politician...
It seems it's a hard time for one who is an atheist politician if he's fighting for the rights of man and for the rights of the non-believers.

This is a facebook post I came across today, of an ordinary guy:

"Today, while walking throughout the city, my eyes were watering. I've taken down my glasses and I continued to intuitively step on the sidewalk of the University, in a blurry world, with fantomatic citizens.
I've been sweared twice until I reached the trolleybus, by people who confounded me with Remus Cernea. The first I ignored, I wasn't even curios to see how he looks like, and traversed forward. Old, according to the voice and according to how I could distinguish with my myopia, he was shouting to me from behind, "Remus Cernea, you faggot, you'll burn in hell!" plus a few threats from which I managed to distinguish something with "We're gonna castrate you!"

The second one, a corpulent lady somewhere older than 50, started directly with "You pedophile!". I took my glasses from the pocket where I was hiding them, I put them on and I asked her if she knew me from somewhere. She hesitated a bit, then, shocked, she realized she's confounded me. Anyway, her anger was too strong her remain steady. She told me to cut my hair, because I look like "the Atheist Cernea". "Where do you know Cernea from?" I asked. "I've seen him last evening at Reality TV, damn him and all of his kind of unbelievers!" she answered wheezing - she was holding a heavy bag.

Sad, too tired for an anger or revolt, I said "Good bye!" and I resumed my walking. She added harshly, "And cut your hair. It's written in the Bible, the man must not look like the woman!"

I start to wonder what essential differences would be between the Islamic State and the Orthodox State if we loose our battle for the freedom of conscience.
"

I would add that this such an attitude is not everywhere in Romania. Mostly, east side and south. In the north west, where I live, I can criticize Christianity in public and laugh of it, even talk about satanism without anybody around saying anything to me, at most, but very rarely, frowning or looking strangely at me. But nothing more. Unfortunately, the region of Romania I consider more 'bright minded' take at most 1 / 3 of the whole country.
RE: It's a hard time being an atheist politician...
Can't imagine something like that in Austria. We have an openly agnostic president for the last 11 years. It's certainly not as powerful an office as in America or France, but he's the one representing the republic abroad. Nobody asks or talks about a candidate's religion here. Well, probably the conservatives are leaning more to the christian side, but they don't usually wave the Jesus flag either, since nobody cares.

What we don't have, as opposed to Germany or France, are openly gay politicians. I kind of wonder why that is, since the climate isn't particularly hostile against homosexuality. Apart from the usual suspects of course. The conservatives, as always, are still fighting tooth and nail for what they call "traditional family values" around the world. It gives me some satisfaction that the supreme court has given them quite the slap recently by ruling that gay couples are allowed to adopt without any restrictions.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: It's a hard time being an atheist politician...
(March 6, 2015 at 6:25 pm)abaris Wrote: Can't imagine something like that in Austria. We have an openly agnostic president for the last 11 years. It's certainly not as powerful an office as in America or France, but he's the one representing the republic abroad. Nobody asks or talks about a candidate's religion here. Well, probably the conservatives are leaning more to the christian side, but they don't usually wave the Jesus flag either, since nobody cares.

What we don't have, as opposed to Germany or France, are openly gay politicians. I kind of wonder why that is, since the climate isn't particularly hostile against homosexuality. Apart from the usual suspects of course. The conservatives, as always, are still fighting tooth and nail for what they call "traditional family values" around the world. It gives me some satisfaction that the supreme court has given them quite the slap recently by ruling that gay couples are allowed to adopt without any restrictions.

I am pretty sure this atheist politician fighting for our rights is NOT homosexual. Brainwashed people call him faggot because they know, from what they've heard or seen from the West, the atheists are totally cool with homosexuals.

In Romania, even during the communistic / atheistic period, the homosexuals were hated and, back then even thrown to jail. Modern Romanian atheists, mostly men, shun the homosexuals (pretty sure many are homophobes) and laugh of them, you know, like "that's gay! : ))))". Women seem to be more friendly towards them. So this politician is "homosexual" and "pedophile" and "satanist" and whatever, for the simple reason that he's an atheist FIGHTING for his and our rights - which happens to come into conflict with the interest of the All-Powerful Church.

I also find it odd that that woman said about the BIBLE, it's not as if the Orthodox people ever READ it. We never had in our country banners with "God hates fags!" or "God hates you!" or "Go to hell!" or etc. The Orthodox Church was and is there just to keep traditions and to be an authority taking money from the people, not to teach them to be 'moral' (whatever you understand of the word) or anything.

P.S. Our last presidential elections went, for THE FIRST TIME after the 2nd world war, with open declarations of FAITH. The two candidates were, the current and past Prime Minister, a "true Romanian" (basically I've read on wikipedia that he's of Albanian origin, but everywhere on news was told to the people that he's "totally romanian") of Orthodox Religion, and the other was german ethnicity and lutheran faith. The Orthodox Church preached everywhere to people that they must vote the one who is Romanian ethnic and of Orthodox faith. The Prime Minister was going so far as to preach to the public about God, saying, like a retard, that "God is a good man!". During the campaign he went in many places kissing relics, surrounded by the media all over, to show to the public how religious he is (obviously, he never did that before the campaign and stopped doing that after). I was completely surprised that the german guy became president, but that was 90%+ because we feared like hell the idea that the Prime Minister would become president (lying continuously even about things it was obvious to everyone that it's totally otherwise, etc.). A good candidate (she lost in round 1, she had ~4% votes), she had lost a lot of reputation because: a) she was a woman; b) she declared openly that "religion' place is not in school!". She was asked about her faith, at TV, and she said she was greek-catholic, which was a BAD THING, because the great majority is Orthodox. The german guy was also asked directly what religion he is. And btw, after the german guy won, when we started to pride ourselves that our people had proven to be more opened minded, a petition was signed by hundreds of people, asking the president to change his faith (what retards!)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  School of Hard Rock Hotel knocks. Brian37 5 658 October 15, 2019 at 5:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Typical Politician onlinebiker 12 1068 June 2, 2019 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Its Hard To Comprehend Stupidity of This Magnitude Minimalist 23 6235 August 23, 2017 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Stupidity of This Magnitude Is Hard To Fathom Minimalist 7 1098 August 8, 2017 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  No Matter How Hard I Search Minimalist 3 1203 December 9, 2015 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Where being an atheist can get you murdered Brian37 2 762 May 23, 2015 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Teacher accuses school firing for being atheist. Brian37 5 1187 January 30, 2015 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus