Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deliberate use of fallacy
Deliberate use of fallacy
Is it right to deliberately use fallacy in rhetoric if one thinks it will get a point accepted?

For example, if I know Republicans won't "get" logical arguments-- statistics on gun deaths, for example-- is it right to use appeals to emotion, appeals to authority, and argumentum ad populum? Or does this introduce a kind of Achilles heel-- you'll plow through the masses, and then end up getting embarrassed when you eventually come across a decent debater? Or, on the other hand, will you end up so wrapped up in the web of bullshit that you are spinning, that you will ending degrading your own intellect?

It occurs to me that the Fox News people, for example, may actually be highly intelligent. They may know their crowd, and may be manipulating that crowd in a measured and deliberate way.
RE: Deliberate use of fallacy
If you know your opponent is ignorant use it - I used lots of fallacies in my course about debate and communication - In fact what I've learned is that convincing the audience and winning matters more than using rational arguments.

Always know the audience, their age, literacy and political opinions. Manipulate them. That's how you win
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

It may be the lesser evil. So long as you aren't being blatantly dishonest. Actually now that I think about it, appeals to emotion for example are only fallacious if used as an argument for the truth. You could word an appeal to emotion to be more an argument to persuade people to reevaluate their values and beliefs. Hitchens was good at that.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
You need to tailor your argument to the context you're in. If you're aware of the fallacy and are well stocked with non-fallacious arguments in favor of the same conclusion, but won't get through to whoever you're talking to without the fallacy, I'd feel safe in using it. Just make sure you're on solid non-fallacious ground too, before you dig yourself in too deep.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 7, 2015 at 8:48 pm)Esquilax Wrote: You need to tailor your argument to the context you're in. If you're aware of the fallacy and are well stocked with non-fallacious arguments in favor of the same conclusion, but won't get through to whoever you're talking to without the fallacy, I'd feel safe in using it. Just make sure you're on solid non-fallacious ground too, before you dig yourself in too deep.
If your fallacies are revealed by a more worthy opponent, wouldn't this lead to a counter-fallacy -- that the fallacies you've used should invalidate the point you were supporting with them?
It invalidates the argument you were throwing unless that argument is the only basis for your position
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(March 7, 2015 at 8:59 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(March 7, 2015 at 8:48 pm)Esquilax Wrote: You need to tailor your argument to the context you're in. If you're aware of the fallacy and are well stocked with non-fallacious arguments in favor of the same conclusion, but won't get through to whoever you're talking to without the fallacy, I'd feel safe in using it. Just make sure you're on solid non-fallacious ground too, before you dig yourself in too deep.
If your fallacies are revealed by a more worthy opponent, wouldn't this lead to a counter-fallacy -- that the fallacies you've used should invalidate the point you were supporting with them?

Which is the point that you can bust out all those non-fallacious arguments I talked about before. Wink
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I might look at the results of how the greatest orators and authors and poets of all time have gone about moving people. Historically, "spiritual" and political movements have been headed by those who used rhetoric and base level emotional metaphor to "grab and move" their audience. From Socrates, to Hitler, to Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr., Gandhi to JFK. , Basically everyone who has ever said or written anything worth quoting , has had to use these tactics to create a visceral response from their listeners.

I will add that pure debaters like Stephen Hawking and Neil DeGrass Tyson tend to have a much harder time winning over their audience or doing anything other than "entrenching" their Nay-sayers into their own side of the debate.

Not sure that applies to exactly what you mean , but food for thought.

Doc
I argue sincerely for all the reasons you listed, and additionally, I have to be satisfied with my own efforts. And there's little point in sacrificing my own credibility for the sake of the agreement of others, imo.

(March 7, 2015 at 9:19 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I argue sincerely for all the reasons you listed, and additionally, I have to be satisfied with my own efforts. And there's little point in sacrificing my own credibility for the sake of the agreement of others, imo.

I don't think anybody I listed under either side of the subject sacrificed their credibility in any way? Maybe Hitler? Undecided

Doc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Fallacy List Foxaèr 12 3650 May 26, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  On the consistent use of "objective" and "subjective" Ignorant 22 4274 November 15, 2016 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Good Use for religion? maestroanth 12 1939 October 30, 2016 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  fallacy ref! - funny and informative drfuzzy 3 996 November 17, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The Existential Fallacy Pizza 6 2264 March 20, 2015 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The naturalistic fallacy and masturbation Clueless Morgan 22 3611 October 31, 2014 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I am coining a new fallacy - the Wiki fallacy Simon Moon 8 2513 August 10, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  The hovind fallacy Lemonvariable72 18 4585 October 7, 2013 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Chronological Snobberry Fallacy Tea Earl Grey Hot 8 3647 August 11, 2013 at 10:32 am
Last Post: genkaus
  would you use a time machine to change your past dj-hato 34 8888 April 10, 2013 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Violet