Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My personnal views on irrationality
My personnal views on irrationality
Hello, i am new both to Atheism ( coming from a catholic background) and to these forums.
Also, i am french, hence my English is far from perfect, please do not flame me for grammatical mistakes.

I often read about non-believers (as in, no religion) arguing that they believe in some sort of plan, some sort of spiritual universe, that we cannot quite comprehend and that has no real intention or purpose.

I can understand that feeling, first because i feel it too sometimes (weird coincidences for example), and because believing in nothing at all, and only seeing our mortality and purposelessness is a terrifying thought.
However, my point is that believing in something outside of what we can observe and prove is, in short, a slippery slope.

Imagine there is a line, one end of the line is religious fundamentalism, believing in God no matter what, and the other is being almost, but not entirely, sure that there is nothing outside the physical plane. If you are anywhere on that line, there is a chance that you can move on it, either way. My problem is that when believing that there is something outside our world, you can start believing in all kinds of irrational ideas that can be even more dangerous than religion because they go unregulated. It can range from Astrology, to voodoo, to ghosts, to luminescent healing crystals, all the way to sects of all kinds.

Of course, i am sure 99% of non-believers who think/hope that something else exist will NEVER go down that path...however to me this 1% is already too much of a price to pay for the relative safety of placing hopes in irrationality.

This is why i now personally believe in absolutely nothing irrational, to be sure not to be tempted. I consider myself as not on the line at all: that way i am sure never to fall prey to all the bad things irrationality brings.

I hope this does not look too much like someone boasting about how much his view is better than anyone else's, i still have trouble expressing emotions in English...

Any thoughts ?
RE: My personnal views on irrationality
First of all, I don't think you have anything to worry about where you understanding of English is concerned. If only I could speak French as well. As it is I can count to about 6, say hello and that's about it...

As for me, well, I believe all sorts of weird things, admittedly most of them are to do with quantum physics, string theory, the many worlds theory etc. but still, they are pretty odd and counter intuitive. The problem lies in the belief that somehow there is a reason why things are the way they are and that somehow, humans are important.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this so better leave it and just say welcome.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Yeah, don't worry about the language.....wait till some of the southern bible- thumper types show up...they can't speak English either in spite of being born here.

Religion is about fear. Specifically fear of the unknown as in what happens after you die. For reasons mainly of ego, people love to think they are so fucking special that the world CANNOT possibly go on without them hence they invent all sorts of scenarios in which their consciousness (or "soul") continues afterward.

It's laughable really. The world did just fine without us before we were born and it will do just fine without us when we are gone.
(March 20, 2010 at 6:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Yeah, don't worry about the language.....wait till some of the southern bible- thumper types show up...they can't speak English either in spite of being born here.

Religion is about fear. Specifically fear of the unknown as in what happens after you die. For reasons mainly of ego, people love to think they are so fucking special that the world CANNOT possibly go on without them hence they invent all sorts of scenarios in which their consciousness (or "soul") continues afterward.

It's laughable really. The world did just fine without us before we were born and it will do just fine without us when we are gone.

i agree, however it is still a hard thought to face Smile
Fantastic into Rwandall. I agree there's a real danger in ignorance, which is a huge risk for atheists and theists alike. Great point.
Welcome, despite what min says, religion isn't "about fear" fear pervades humans in general:
" can understand that feeling, first because i feel it too sometimes (weird coincidences for example called synchronicity), and because believing in nothing at all, and only seeing our mortality and purposelessness is a terrifying thought."
Hopefully you'll gain a better understanding of religions purpose and further logical and rational thinking. Fear is no reason to believe anything.
Your English seems great to me and I look forwars to reading your posts and interacting.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
i am not familiar with the concept of synchronicity, what is it ?
Shit. Your English is better than mine. My question is "Why are you on a British board?" Don't the French discuss atheism?
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
(March 20, 2010 at 7:36 pm)LEDO Wrote: Shit. Your English is better than mine. My question is "Why are you on a British board?" Don't the French discuss atheism?
We aren't a British board. We're an international board.
(March 20, 2010 at 7:36 pm)LEDO Wrote: Shit. Your English is better than mine. My question is "Why are you on a British board?" Don't the French discuss atheism?

they do, sadly the french are really not present on the internet: most of us that can speak english go to english boards since America and Great Britain represent a much bigger population. Also the issue of religion is much less present over there, it is more interesting to see what happens in countries where church and state are not always completely separate

also, thanks for the praises on my english Angel Cloud

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My views on God and religion ShinyCrystals 72 4291 October 30, 2023 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Your personal views on the Afterlife Mystic Monkey 31 18710 May 12, 2023 at 10:36 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3948 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Views that are compatible w/ Atheism free_thinker_at_last 8 1523 August 11, 2016 at 3:27 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My views on religion dyresand 19 4926 December 24, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Your Views on Dawkins? clemdog14 93 27442 January 29, 2013 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Zone
  Attacked in student paper for my atheistic views Candles 14 5529 March 15, 2012 at 11:17 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Interesting survey of Australians religious views Justtristo 20 7773 November 28, 2011 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Soul - your views on it? Diamond-Deist 100 23866 September 17, 2011 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: BloodyHeretic
  Science experiments - Atheist views? Diamond-Deist 14 4250 September 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Diamond-Deist