Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indoctrinating Children in Religion
Indoctrinating Children in Religion
Parents are responsible for making a lot of important choices for their children. Religion can sometimes be part of the culture of a certain region that parents might want to pass on to their children. At the same time, adolescents should be allowed to reject their parents' religion without having to fear that they will be thrown out of the house. I have known families that spend every weekend, Sunday morning and evening in church and also take part in their church's various celebrations. A lot of these parents have the mindset that their children will attend their religious functions if they live under their parents' roof. That means that their children are forced to spend a lot of time in church.

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread dedicated to the indoctrination of children in religion. How far is too far? If you are a theist, would you force your sixteen year old to attend church if they disagreed with your religious views?
RE: Indoctrinating Children in Religion
It didn't work very well i was only a christian for such a short time and when ever i had a question about god i was told to read the bible so after reading it so many times trying to figure it out and already having feeling iffy about it i pretty much figured out its a bunch of bullshit.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I think religious education is absolutely fine, although there's really no need to begin it at an early age. Kids do not need to know about all that. If you can't parent them without using religion, then you just suck.

Sadly, I doubt many parents would be capable of even realizing the difference between education and indoctrination.

I say, if you're so sure of your stuff, let the kid grow up free from it all, then explain it to them when they're 16. It's then up to them whether they accept it or not. And if you treat them any differently for rejecting your beliefs, you are a horrible person. If you must mention it earlier then that, own up that these are your beliefs and not simply facts. Again, difficult for many theists to understand that distinction I know.

Is there any religious theist on the board with children, who has not indoctrinated them at an early age?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Keep your silly superstition to yourself and leave the fucking kids alone.
That would certainly be ideal!

If only that would happen.

See how they get on without all that crap in their heads, and you'll find out that they don't need it.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(March 9, 2015 at 10:56 am)Norman Humann Wrote: Keep your silly superstition to yourself and leave the fucking kids alone.

Good luck with that. Apparently, parents have some special "right" to treat their kids the way they desire ... as if kids are just objects/property and not individuals with their own rights to free thinking.
I have the right to force my kid to believe whatever I want regardless of the long term effects on it.

It's another form of silent harm, like feeding your kid so much that it gets really fat at an early age and has health problems. Some forms of damage are socially acceptable, whereas a good whack round the head now and again would probably be less damaging overall but will get your kids taken away.

Not that I support whacks round the head either.

Also, smoking all around your kids and giving them an increased risk of lung cancer... acceptable yet demonstrable harm apparently.

Index of my best videos

Indoctrination and circumcision should be against the law.

Teach your kids how to think, not what to think. Encourage questions. Provide them with good source material so they can learn to look up things themselves. And if you must bombard them with religious instruction at a young age, then respect them enough to expose them to a variety of religious and non-religious traditions and let them come to their own conclusions. Your children are people in their own right -- not your property and not clay you get to mold into your own misshapen image.

I know, I know . . . it's pie in the sky, at least as far as most religious households are concerned. The last thing they want is a real marketplace of ideas where their bullshit competes on an even footing with other points of view. But I can dream.
In the US, it might help if schools taught all the facts, philosophy, and critical thinking skills that would protect them from the inevitable indoctrination at home.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suffer the little children to come unto me LinuxGal 2 637 August 7, 2023 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Children removed from Jewish sect's jungle compound in Mexico zebo-the-fat 3 630 September 30, 2022 at 5:12 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10721 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The problem of evil/suffering when it comes to children Redbeard The Pink 163 24825 February 26, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4906 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Study: religious children are less generous and more judgmental Aroura 17 4501 November 7, 2015 at 2:42 am
Last Post: GoHalos1993
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19820 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49314 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Should children be violently abused without their permission. Oldm8 86 11245 August 9, 2014 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Religion and children CindysRain 37 6744 June 28, 2014 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd