Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deist vs Christian debates?
Deist vs Christian debates?
Does anyone here know of any debates where a deist debates a Christian, especially debating the Bible being inspired by a god?
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
RE: Deist vs Christian debates?
I can't recall ever seeing any debate featuring a deist position. Are there any well-known deist debaters?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
We have DeistPaladin
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(March 12, 2015 at 3:54 pm)Pizz-atheist Wrote: Does anyone here know of any debates where a deist debates a Christian, especially debating the Bible being inspired by a god?

I was a deist fot the longest time of my life. My god concept was that of a neutral uncaring force, neither good nor evil. I wouldn't have debated or challenged the bible any differently than I do.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I'm more interested in what a debate between the Christians and non-religious theists would be like, since the issue isn't whether or not a god exists, but rather whether this being revealed himself/herself/itself to humans via the Bible.

I guess the same could be said of non-Christian theists who believe in miracles but question the resurrection of Jesus and other Christian claims of miracles as the real deal.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
What's a non-religious theist supposed to be?
(March 12, 2015 at 5:50 pm)abaris Wrote: What's a non-religious theist supposed to be?
Believes a god exists and is not a member of any religion.

(March 12, 2015 at 5:51 pm)Pizz-atheist Wrote: Believes a god exists and is not a member of any religion.

Then they're deists and not theists.
(March 12, 2015 at 5:52 pm)abaris Wrote:
(March 12, 2015 at 5:51 pm)Pizz-atheist Wrote: Believes a god exists and is not a member of any religion.

Then they're deists and not theists.
That's a mere verbal dispute. Point is about talking about people who believe in a god and don't believe in religion.

Another name for that might be 'agnostic theism'.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life as a Deist FallentoReason 48 10592 March 6, 2013 at 3:01 am
Last Post: EGross