Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truth in context vs ultimate truth
Truth in context vs ultimate truth
I've often talked about truth only being contextual. For example, in the context of everyday life, Aunt Ethel is definitely very real. In the context of QM mechanics, you'd be hard-pressed to find her anywhere. In the context of QM, things are intrinsically unpredictable. In the context of mundane reality, billiard balls bounce the right way every time no matter what.

But here's my question. Should something that we take as real in context, like love or beauty, be called real? Or must reality be based on an ultimate truth, something which holds true in ALL contexts?
RE: Truth in context vs ultimate truth
"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet"
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(March 13, 2015 at 10:39 pm)bennyboy Wrote: I've often talked about truth only being contextual. For example, in the context of everyday life, Aunt Ethel is definitely very real. In the context of QM mechanics, you'd be hard-pressed to find her anywhere. In the context of QM, things are intrinsically unpredictable. In the context of mundane reality, billiard balls bounce the right way every time no matter what.

But here's my question. Should something that we take as real in context, like love or beauty, be called real? Or must reality be based on an ultimate truth, something which holds true in ALL contexts?
Sure, within the framework of reality under discussion, love is only a word used to capture a phenomenon that is every bit as physically reducible to the same common stock of energy particles that other physical objects are arranged by.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
ultimate truth, moral codes, principles and supposed to's are all over-rated terms coming from the ego of the humans and them thinking that there is a meaning to this meaningless life.
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(March 13, 2015 at 10:56 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: ultimate truth, moral codes, principles and supposed to's are all over-rated terms coming from the ego of the humans and them thinking that there is a meaning to this meaningless life.
I think the bigger problem is that they're quite under-rated by people who don't care to think about the nature of reality on levels deeper than their everyday intuitions and experiences.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(March 13, 2015 at 10:39 pm)bennyboy Wrote: I've often talked about truth only being contextual. For example, in the context of everyday life, Aunt Ethel is definitely very real. In the context of QM mechanics, you'd be hard-pressed to find her anywhere. In the context of QM, things are intrinsically unpredictable. In the context of mundane reality, billiard balls bounce the right way every time no matter what.

Shouldn't we look at Aunt Ethel as a statistically probable structure of events which we would expect to be able to model in QM if only we had capacity to handle the complexity of the math?
I keep my own definition of truth, to wit:
A proposition is true directly proportional to the degree that it will be shown to have accurately predicted the future.

As such, nothing can be said to be true in the present (neural processing time & light cones involved here). Billiard balls have been shown in the recent past to have been accurately predicted in the farther past as to how they would bounce in the middle past. The most we can say about truth in the present is that some classes of propositions, say about billiard balls, have always been shown to be true in the past.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(March 13, 2015 at 10:59 pm)Nestor Wrote:
(March 13, 2015 at 10:56 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: ultimate truth, moral codes, principles and supposed to's are all over-rated terms coming from the ego of the humans and them thinking that there is a meaning to this meaningless life.
I think the bigger problem is that they're quite under-rated by people who don't care to think about the nature of reality on levels deeper than their everyday intuitions and experiences.

My brain gets overloaded and shuts down when I think about stuff like that...
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(March 13, 2015 at 11:41 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote:
(March 13, 2015 at 10:59 pm)Nestor Wrote: I think the bigger problem is that they're quite under-rated by people who don't care to think about the nature of reality on levels deeper than their everyday intuitions and experiences.

My brain gets overloaded and shuts down when I think about stuff like that...

Quite understandable, Marsellus, but it can be dangerous.
You have to keep up at least a little or you can't, with confidence, rebut those who make unwarranted claims.
For instance there are a couple of problems that NOBODY has been able to solve, EVER.
1) Is there actually a reality out there AKA the hard problem of solipsism.
2) Will the future be largely similar to the past; the problem of induction.

People who claim to have solved these problems (or make arguments dependent on their having solved them) are deluded or liars and should be confronted as such. You personally don't have to have a correct solution or feel inadequate that you don't. Just making shit up is uncool.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(As far as I am aware...)

Love can be recognised as a physical brain state, as can the interpretation of beauty by the guy staring at the painting or whatever. But the painting is not inherently "beautiful" because it depends entirely on the reaction of the observer. It could be voted beautiful by a large group of people, but again it's a human thing.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I have a hard time even coming up with a sensible definition of true to address the question concerning qm. But let's maybe separate love and such things, and the physics if possible.

My first try would be :In the and the quantum thing boils down to saying something true about probabilities, not something true about the outcome. This is also largely the case in non qm situations (bc of our ignorance) and not something entirely new...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves. Mystic 210 23850 November 18, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Is subjectivity just a matter of context? Coffee Jesus 24 6484 May 15, 2014 at 8:43 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Does objective truth mean the existence of absolute truth? rybak303 7 7034 November 1, 2010 at 4:50 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet