Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deism, Atheism, and False Dilemmas
Deism, Atheism, and False Dilemmas
I am concerned that I may have inadvertently committed a False Dilemma fallacy when I concluded that the existence of God is improbable. No, I am not saying that the conclusion that I reached is wrong --- it could very well be correct. I am just saying that the means by which I reached the conclusion may be flawed, and that therefore I may have to re-evaluate things while avoiding this fallacy.

How might I have committed the False Dilemma fallacy? I calculated that the existence of God is improbable because I was only considering two possibilities (1) a universe with a somewhat anthropomorphic God or (2) a completely Godless universe.

However, I may have not given adequate consideration to various traditions that hold to an existence of God without such anthropomorphisms - such as Deism and Pantheism.

Any input as I embark on re-examining the possibility of God's existence while keeping my mind open to the possibility of a non-anthropomorphic God?
RE: Deism, Atheism, and False Dilemmas
Did you determine that a particular -archetype- of anthropomorphism was the basis for improbability, or all archetypes? The field may be even larger than you suppose, or can suppose. Wink
(as you said, ought to be thorough with regards to whether or not we've excluded something from our sample)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yes, you could consider those. Though I was never very impressed with deism or pantheism. Probably because I grew up christian, and don't see the point of believing in a god that isn't there, or doesn't care, or is the trees and rivers and rock and such. There's no reason to worship something like that, and I won't be rewarded or punished, so I don't see the point.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Strip God of the anthropomorphism and you're left with a totally inconsequential metaphysical monster defined by nothing but the negation of boundaries... and then suddenly it begins to look suspiciously non-existent.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(March 15, 2015 at 9:48 am)remagination Wrote: Any input as I embark on re-examining the possibility of God's existence while keeping my mind open to the possibility of a non-anthropomorphic God?
My perception is that there is no time and everything just is. If time were to exist, then infinite regression becomes an issue. If time does not exist, then everything just is and no need of a god.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
My opinion is that we have no idea if any sort of "God" is even possible at all. Even if it is possible, we have no experience of it so I don't think we can assign it a probability.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It's just funny that the Abrahamic faiths have a deity that's a narcissist, yet also hides in the ether and refuses to show himself. I know he's not the first monotheistic deity, but was Zoroaster like this? Are there still Zoroastrians around that can tell us if he's as self centered and thin skinned as Yahweh?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...

(March 15, 2015 at 10:25 am)Nestor Wrote: Strip God of the anthropomorphism and you're left with a totally inconsequential metaphysical monster defined by nothing but the negation of boundaries... and then suddenly it begins to look suspiciously non-existent.

Very well put. If you use too unspecific a definition for your estmate, the result will be misleading to many who automatically associate God with their personal God concept. This kind of equivocation is already too common and imho you'd do well to remain more specific in your language.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 15, 2015 at 10:07 am)Rhythm Wrote: Did you determine that a particular -archetype- of anthropomorphism was the basis for improbability, or all archetypes? The field may be even larger than you suppose, or can suppose. Wink
(as you said, ought to be thorough with regards to whether or not we've excluded something from our sample)
Let us see --- I could come up with a partial list of anthropomorphic traits.

Anthropomorphism #1: God has agenda: Whether it be God's vast Master Plan or simply God's plan to teach you strength by giving you a medical condition that will preclude you from ever having a normal life ---- all these things imply that God has some kind of agenda -- which is an anthropomorphism.

Anthropomorphism #2: God as a parent: And as the patriarchial culture is so pervasive, "parent" becomes "father". Anyway --- any notion of God loving us is an extension of this anthropomorphism.

(March 15, 2015 at 10:21 am)Chad32 Wrote: Yes, you could consider those. Though I was never very impressed with deism or pantheism. Probably because I grew up christian, and don't see the point of believing in a god that isn't there, or doesn't care, or is the trees and rivers and rock and such. There's no reason to worship something like that, and I won't be rewarded or punished, so I don't see the point.
A valid point ---- seeing as I have determined that the term "God" is actually a title. From that, one could suggest (though not necessarily prove) that God is whatever being you worship. But it would also beg the question of - how do you define 'worship'? Building altars and sacrificing goats and pigeons? Not all conventional religions do that.

So how do you define 'worship'?

(March 15, 2015 at 10:25 am)Nestor Wrote: Strip God of the anthropomorphism and you're left with a totally inconsequential metaphysical monster defined by nothing but the negation of boundaries... and then suddenly it begins to look suspiciously non-existent.
Not necessarily.

For example --- if one sees God as being whatever is all-powerful --- and then determines that the laws of physics are all-powerful --- then would the Laws of Physics not be that person's non-anthropomorphic God?

(March 15, 2015 at 11:36 am)Chad32 Wrote: It's just funny that the Abrahamic faiths have a deity that's a narcissist, yet also hides in the ether and refuses to show himself. I know he's not the first monotheistic deity, but was Zoroaster like this? Are there still Zoroastrians around that can tell us if he's as self centered and thin skinned as Yahweh?
Zoroaster isn't considered a deity in Zoroastrianism, but a prophet. The supreme godhead deity in Zoroastrianism is Ahura Mazda.
Oh, sorry. Shows how much I know about Zoroastrianism.

Christians would define worship as who or whatever you put first in your life. They expect you to put Yahweh/Jesus first, but if you're playing video games instead of going to church you're committing idolatry towards your games.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your opinion on deism and pantheism? Dystopia 2 1203 August 1, 2014 at 7:08 am
Last Post: vodkafan
  whats your opinion of Deism? Ervin 66 30514 September 6, 2011 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Deism! (and pantheism and Pandeism, and polypanendeism...) Darth 22 13054 June 27, 2011 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: fr0d0