Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mom has suddenly become devout. Could I have something to do with it?
Mom has suddenly become devout. Could I have something to do with it?
I'm a bit worried, not because she's suddenly out of nowhere devout, but because this is exactly what I did as soon as I had religious doubts, and when I had begun to realize I was becoming an Atheist. I couldn't handle the fact that I was becoming something religion demonized so horribly, so I did everything in my power to fight. I'm worried because when having these discussion with my mother, my intention was to point out inconsistencies, but it was never my intention to cause her to doubt her religion. The thing is I don't know for a fact that she's doubting her faith, because she's denying that, which is exactly what I did too.

I'm afraid because she believes God saved her from an abusive relationship with her then husband, and I've been asking questions because I was, 1) trying to understand why make a conclusion involving God, and 2) pointing out flaws and try to get an explanation for those, which almost always ends up resulting in more questions, I worry I may have started to give her doubts, and because she cries when talking about being rescued(tears of joy), I feel like maybe by asking questions, I did more harm than good. But the problem is this is tough to avoid, because even if I stop starting these discussions(which I have done a good job with, I think), she will still occasionally start one, and then I, as usual, go into skeptic mode and ask my questions for the above reasons. I do my best to keep the discussions short, and quiet so to not cause too much of a ruckus, but sometimes I feel like I'm not being heard so things get heated up, unintentionally, of course.

I don't know if she's doubting her faith, and I can't know for sure because she denies that its happening, but this degree of devoutness is not like her. It seems like she's struggling with something. Maybe my questions, maybe my atheism(however unlikely it may be since she denies that too), or maybe something else in her life. What if she is doubting and I'm the reason for it? Could I be the reason for this? Could I be overreacting?
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: Mom has suddenly become devout. Could I have something to do with it?
Can you ask her, without bringing up the subject of religion, if something is wrong with her? Like you, I temporarily became more religious right before I lost my faith. Your mom could be going through the same process or something else could have happened. It is hard to tell.

One of the reasons that I never try to deconvert people is that I don't know the real reason why they have faith. Some people are happier belonging to a religion.
(March 15, 2015 at 10:55 am)Nope Wrote: One of the reasons that I never try to deconvert people is that I don't know the real reason why they have faith. Some people are happier belonging to a religion.

That's part of then reason I stopped worrying about deconverting people. I'd love a world where religion is the minority because of the harm that has been done in its name, but I accept some people are religious because it makes them feel better.
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
Quote:What if she is doubting and I'm the reason for it?

Be happy. The road to freedom begins with those doubts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Something to watch for (or avoid) The Valkyrie 24 2266 October 4, 2023 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Mom is 102! Gwaithmir 20 1607 September 23, 2023 at 7:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Something to think about .... scamper 16 1636 November 13, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  A hint at something deeper Ahriman 0 212 October 5, 2022 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Something for nothing onlinebiker 92 4791 September 14, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The really real Something For Nothing no one 1 396 September 12, 2021 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Where would you go if you could? Brian37 24 2034 August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Pizza, just bit the bullet, trying something new. Brian37 19 1314 June 14, 2021 at 11:58 am
Last Post: brewer
  Become indistinguishable from a gangster Foxaèr 9 332 August 25, 2020 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I could change my username again...... Foxaèr 29 1519 June 7, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr