Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Democracy fails...
Democracy fails...
Living in a democracy sounds fab, until you let in lots of people who have lots of kids and they all have different ideas to you....

Can you tweak democracy, so that the 'invited in' majority don't get their way on laws and things?
PS if you're about to post a reply and your response is going to be negative, improper, average, odd, obtuse, irrational, an argument, might change the focus, going off at a tangent or just mean ... go and find a maths forum to post on instead, they'll love you !!
RE: Democracy fails...
I don't live in a democracy, the EU is not approved by the people and we don't elect representative governments for the EU - We only vote for the EU parliament that has little to no power compared to the European commission that is not elected by us and makes most big decisions.

I pick democracy because it is the only reliable choice right now - I support Churchil's ideas:

[Image: churchill_democracy_quote.jpg]

[Image: quote-the-best-argument-against-democrac...-37246.jpg]
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Someone got to the Churchill quote before me. A representative republic is good, as long as the representatives actually listen to the people instead of their rich donors. That would be an oligarchy, which is what the US has right now.

We're not really supposed to have a democracy, because democracy means majority rules, and the majority doesn't always have good ideas. Representative republics are better.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

So what if the majority goes apeshit?!!!!
PS if you're about to post a reply and your response is going to be negative, improper, average, odd, obtuse, irrational, an argument, might change the focus, going off at a tangent or just mean ... go and find a maths forum to post on instead, they'll love you !!
(March 15, 2015 at 5:21 pm)lifesagift Wrote: Living in a democracy sounds fab, until you let in lots of people who have lots of kids and they all have different ideas to you....

Can you tweak democracy, so that the 'invited in' majority don't get their way on laws and things?

So, you want a democracy that is filled only with people like yourself, and the people with '...different ideas to you...' have no say in how things work?

You wouldn't be 'tweaking' democracy, you'd be tossing it in the bin and replacing it with something horrific.

Boru

(March 15, 2015 at 6:29 pm)lifesagift Wrote: So what if the majority goes apeshit?!!!!

That's why you have democratic institutions. In them, the majority doesn't rule. Democratic forms of government exist precisely to prevent the majority from running roughshod over the rights of the minority.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
[quote='BrianSoddingBoru4' pid='898975' dateline='1426458744']
So, you want a democracy that is filled only with people like yourself, and the people with '...different ideas to you...' have no say in how things work?
/quote]

No, absolutely not! See you can get things wrong.

I want the most sensible ideas to rise against the most populous !
How are we going to do that?
(March 15, 2015 at 6:56 pm)lifesagift Wrote: I want the most sensible ideas to rise against the most populous !
How are we going to do that?

So who's to determine which ideas are most sensible?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The inerrant, unchanging, perfect Word of the Lord Jesus Christ!! Who else? The bible totally advocates democracy, I'm sure. Somewhere.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Democracies and democratic republics, or any form government for that matter, are only as good as the people who comprise them. If the people of nation are immoral, then they will elect immoral people. I'd rather live under a benevolent dictator than in a corrupt democracy.
(March 15, 2015 at 8:47 pm)Lek Wrote: Democracies and democratic republics, or any form government for that matter, are only as good as the people who comprise them. If the people of nation are immoral, then they will elect immoral people. I'd rather live under a benevolent dictator than in a corrupt democracy.

And that's how fascist ideology was born Wink Shades
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social democracy in Europe without 5 minutes Interaktive 1 590 January 3, 2023 at 4:55 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Real democracy Macoleco 23 1215 March 17, 2022 at 9:06 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  The Future of Democracy JairCrawford 49 3154 March 11, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can Democracy NOT lead to Oligarchy? ignoramus 4 352 July 18, 2020 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Porcupine
  Anti Trans And Why It Fails Amarok 78 7955 December 27, 2018 at 6:27 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Democracy is fucked up Zenith 31 8484 February 25, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  The States Are The Laboratories of Democracy! Minimalist 12 2034 August 19, 2016 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  US Puppet Democracy Aractus 18 2195 June 20, 2016 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Aractus
  They’re all bought and sold: American democracy belongs to the billionaires now Heat 70 8452 February 7, 2016 at 2:50 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Talking about dictatorships and mafia and theocracy and democracy. A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 32 3842 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: Reforged