Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psi: How Open Minded are You Really?
Psi: How Open Minded are You Really?
Here is one of the best lectures ever summarizing the most recent findings in parapsychology. While you watch, please pay attention to your own reaction.

RE: Psi: How Open Minded are You Really?
I'd be interested to hear your reaction when you watched it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
{I'm in a rural backwater, with my slow internet it would take about 3 1/2 days for me to watch that)

Having said that, imagine the impact from a Darwinian perspective for a prey animal to be able to reliably sense a nearby predator animals thoughts.

I'd posit if any kind of psychic ability were possible, the survival advantage would be overwhelming, and we would already have absolute proof of it.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Just shy of empty minded, just further than close minded. Whats your personal favorite portion of the uploaded clip, and what does it have to do with any given persons open-mindedness? If I don't have an "open mind" will I laugh and call massive bs?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
How can we tell psi from not psi? Does the video cover that issue? Honestly I don't feel like watching an hour long lecture on psi that doesn't cover that important issue.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
For wooters, "open mind" means that precise degree of gullibility which would enable a fool to take wooters with some minimum degree of seriousness.
t l : d view

However I did go out and get a few samples of what others think of his "research."

http://skepdic.com/essays/radin.html
Quote:The evidence Radin presents, however, is little more than a hodgepodge of occult statistics. Unable to find a single person who can correctly guess a three-letter word or move a pencil an inch without trickery, the psi researchers have resorted to doing complex statistical analyses of data. In well-designed studies they assume that whenever they have data that, by some statistical formula, is not likely due to chance, they attribute the outcome to psi.

https://spiritualityisnoexcuse.wordpress...ean-radin/
Quote:The lecture is titled Science and the Taboo of Psi.

Despite what any reasonable person would expect of a lecture with a title like that, Radin in fact does not attempt to argue that there is a taboo against psi in science.

Instead he simply asserts there is a taboo, and then interprets everything as if that assertion were true. He also dismisses all criticism of psi research as being merely the result of the taboo.

Just to make it clear, Radin also does not present a shred of evidence for psi in this lecture either, (though he talks about the subject a lot).

More importantly, Radin’s documentation sucks. His refusal to properly reference his sources (name, title, journal, date) causes problems for his argument which only become clear when you check the sources yourself. When you do this, it becomes clear that Radin is being less than accurate and less than honest with the information he provides his audience.

Further reading in the above URL review yields comments that Radin does not cite his sources well enough to independently investigate them.

Most of the Google hits not obviously associated with this guy (e.g. coming from http://www.deanradin.com) were neutral(book review) to highly critical.

I don't think he's worth my time to listen to. If psi were real, it would be used in business.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
True JuliaL, the private sector and the government would be all over that.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(March 15, 2015 at 10:45 pm)JuliaL Wrote: I don't think he's worth my time to listen to.
I'll put that down as a no.
Are you open minded enough to deal with criticisms of your pet beliefs? I guess not, Chad.