Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(western) classical music discussion
(western) classical music discussion
Jesus H. Christ has proposed to have a thread on western classical music, or western art music, in the widest sense, and who am I to contradict our half-chromosomed Lord.

I'd say anything from posting or writing about something you've just discovered, discussing recordings, asking for recommendations, to pretentious (or actually competent Tongue ) music theory discussions is encouraged. Let's avoid snobbery unless absolutely necessary, and not be too strict about genre boundaries, for example if there is orchestral film music to discuss.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: (western) classical music discussion
I get about as pretentious as Nutcracker Suite. I likes me the Nutcracker (in fact, maybe there's another thread in the works). So, Tchaikovski is my homeboy.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
If western civilization would be totally wiped out, and I am charged with preserving just a small handful of works from its three thousand years that would best show any appreciative posterity what it had accomplished, beethoven's 9th symphony would most certainly be one of them.
Late in the evening of May 1, 1786 Western music hit its absolute peak when the premiere of Mozart's Il Nozze di Figaro concluded. It declined, slowly at first, from that apex until the 20th century when it fell into steep decline.
(March 16, 2015 at 1:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Late in the evening of May 1, 1786 Western music hit its absolute peak when the premiere of Mozart's Il Nozze di Figaro concluded. It declined, slowly at first, from that apex until the 20th century when it fell into steep decline.

I think western classical music reached its apex with beethoven's 9th.
(March 16, 2015 at 1:32 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(March 16, 2015 at 1:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Late in the evening of May 1, 1786 Western music hit its absolute peak when the premiere of Mozart's Il Nozze di Figaro concluded. It declined, slowly at first, from that apex until the 20th century when it fell into steep decline.

I think western classical music reached its apex with beethoven's 9th.

I tentatively concur Tongue I'm just not a big Mozart guy.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(March 16, 2015 at 1:33 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(March 16, 2015 at 1:32 pm)Chuck Wrote: I think western classical music reached its apex with beethoven's 9th.

I tentatively concur Tongue I'm just not a big Mozart guy.

Interesting. Me either. The Requiem and his three last symphonies though, are glorious. The detached, unemotional nature of much of classical music leaves me a bit cold. Classical in the sense of music written between the baroque and romantic periods. Smile

Obviously.
I tend to get severely addicted to specific pieces for a few weeks.

Right now it is this one:

which I think is one of the most beautiful things I know. This particular recording has a small cast and good soloists, which is great, but they take it relatively fast, which gives it a certain operatic quality. Others, like Gardiner's, sound more monumental and meditative.

Can I lean a bit to Schubert's 8th?
Whenever I listen to it, it always reminds me of a cabin in the woods, snow all around, but still warm inside... I like it.Smile
(March 16, 2015 at 1:36 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote:
(March 16, 2015 at 1:33 pm)Alex K Wrote: I tentatively concur Tongue I'm just not a big Mozart guy.

Interesting. Me either. The Requiem and his three last symphonies though, are glorious. The detached, unemotional nature of much of classical music leaves me a bit cold. Classical in the sense of music written between the baroque and romantic periods. Smile

Obviously.

Exactly, I get the feeling in the Requiem we look deeper into the dark sides of Mozart (but of course it was finished by others according to his instructions), and much of the Viennese Classical style is a bit too detached as you call it. Of the Mozart symphonies I know the famous #40 best, which I find nice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for country music singers similar to Alan Jackson rado84 5 593 July 31, 2023 at 10:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  Christian music you actually like? JairCrawford 31 2603 June 17, 2022 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New Ahem Music Istvan 1 400 March 20, 2022 at 3:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New music, Old music Ahriman 79 6112 November 5, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Listening to music popeyespappy 35 3260 September 27, 2021 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Music Composition FlatAssembler 1 242 May 22, 2020 at 3:08 pm
  Carrie fans and country music. Brian37 13 1089 May 16, 2020 at 8:54 pm
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 570 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Never a flash in the pan. MUSIC. Brian37 19 1535 December 7, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: no one
  Music videos that rep the POTUS'S idiocy. Brian37 9 1630 October 22, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah