Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The rundown
The rundown
Hey guys, wassup...

It's become clear and known to my family that I am no longer a Christian. At first, it was what you'ed expect. My mom bacame upset, as well as my aunts, my dad to a degree, and bassicly all my friends at school save maybe a couple people.

my mom went to the extrem of bassicly villifying me to my brothers and sister (two of which are too young to have opinions of their own) RIGHT INFRONT OF ME.

Now, we've since had our talks and bassicly the agreement between us is "agree to disagree" sorta thing, which is fine, my desire was not to change minds or anything just to make it clear I just couldnt buy into that sorta stuff anymore.

So here i am, a nonbeliever of the christian faith.
If not Christianity, where do I stand?

Well I'll tell you...

I've learned ideas of the left hand path, the ideas of free thinking, inquiry, reason...and the idea that, in our own subjective universe, are our own gods/masters. So Atheist? Welllll...probably more agnostic because to say a god does not exist would mean I have absolute knowlage of the universe, which i do not.

one of my aunts tried argueing with me, pointing out how her stomach tumer vanished seemingly over night, or how her son (my cousine) survived being rolled over by a car despite being really young (we're talking todler). She seems to believe that these were directly related to her god...for some reason. Which brings up the question of miracles.

seeing as how thousands of diffrent gods are beeing worshiped, I dont see how any one person can just autamaticly claim "THIS IS CLEARLY THE WORK OF GOD!!!"

Me:"okay...why?"

"BECAUSE ONLY GOD CAN DO MIRACLES!!!"

Me:"thats a baseless assumption..."

"YOUR HEART IS TOO CLOSED TO REALIZE THE TRUTH!!!"

Me:"nooo...i just realize there is more too the situation then just "God"...and even if it was an act if a god, whos to say it wasnt any other god (Or goddess)? Any Theistic person can claim credit in this situation...

"I made it on time for work...surely Zues is looking out for me."

"That man was cured of his disease, therefor Odin is real."

"The universe is so spectacular...the flying spegheti monster must be alive and well, PRAISE BE HIS MIGHTY MEATBALLS!!! lol"

So yea, left hand path all the way :3

What do you guys think?
RE: The rundown
(March 16, 2015 at 1:25 pm)wolfclan96 Wrote: So yea, left hand path all the way :3
What do you guys think?

I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsdWLtPAVqM
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 16, 2015 at 1:25 pm)wolfclan96 Wrote: I've learned ideas of the left hand path, the ideas of free thinking, inquiry, reason...and the idea that, in our own subjective universe, are our own gods/masters. So Atheist? Welllll...probably more agnostic because to say a god does not exist would mean I have absolute knowlage of the universe, which i do not.

Agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive terms. Anyone who disbelieves in gods are atheists. Not all atheists assert that there definitely is no god.

Quote:What do you guys think?

I think you shouldn't even debate the existence of god with anyone because it's a pointless exercise. Tell them you have your views, and they have their beliefs. Nothing more. If they insist on being cunts about it then they're just stupid fucks and I would just go through whatever motions you have to with them and fuck them off out of your life as much as possible.
Theists constantly seek vindication for their bizarre beliefs. Do your own thing and fuck them. They'll never get any better until they realize that they have been conned.
(March 16, 2015 at 1:25 pm)wolfclan96 Wrote: What do you guys think?

As your family continues to explore your lack of belief you will reflexively start rolling your eyes. Don't be alarmed the day this actually makes a noise as your eyes hit their full stop.
AF rule #32: Alex has an album for every situation. All of them are death metal.

@OP

That sure sucks. That's why I'm not going to tell my family about my atheism, along with many other things I'd rather keep from them. It's good to hear that you reached an agreement, though. I can imagine the situation must've been pretty unpleasant.

There's one issue I'd like to address, though. Being an atheist does not require claiming to possess absolute knowledge about the universe. It is simply the disbelief in god. We can't say for a fact that he doesn't exist, but neither can theists say that he does. Atheism is simply the position of not seeing a good reason to believe god exists.
I think most of us here are 6 on the Dawkins scale:

[Image: The-Dawkinss-Scale-436x372.jpg]
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
I'm 9: I just killed God. Again.

Sorry to hear that Sad The way your mother behaved is disgraceful and a demonstration of how religion rots people from the inside. I think agreeing to just not talk about it is best, unless they are coming to you calmly for an actual discussion and not just mud slinging.

I hope you can worth things out. You're brave to have come all the way out, good for you. The more we have out there, the easiest for the next guy. Most of all, show them atheists can be decent people and shatter their pre conceptions. Don't ever sink to their level.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Congratulations. Smile
To me it sounds like someone is just rebelling against his/her parents and authority. And soceity has provided you with an easy way of doing both... Deny God. You are on the Goat's highway to atheism.