Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion For History Books
Suggestion For History Books
I am currently reading Dan Jones book, The Plantagenets. It is a light read, with lots of little tidbits of information. After I finish it, I will be looking for similar history books. Any suggestions will be appreciated

Because I am probably just of average intelligence, my attention will wander if any book is just dates and facts. LOL I like chatty, gossipy history books that have more of a narrative approach to history but aren't fiction books.

All time periods interest me but lately I have been watching a series on Netflix called Monarchy about the history of English kings and queens. Many historical events mentioned on that program make me want to learn more about those events but as long as a book is about history, I don't really care what period or country it covers.

If you have any ideas of books that I can put on my to read book list, I would appreciate it if any of you could provide a suggestion
RE: Suggestion For History Books
Want to move along to the Tudors? Just about anything by Alison Weir is good.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
One of the best history books I ever read was a little gem called "The Rising Sun" by John Toland. WWII in the Pacific but based largely on Japanese sources.
(March 17, 2015 at 11:36 am)Jenny A Wrote: Want to move along to the Tudors? Just about anything by Alison Weir is good.

Yes. There was one of her books, I am certain, that I thought about buying before settling on The Plantagenets

(March 17, 2015 at 11:40 am)Minimalist Wrote: One of the best history books I ever read was a little gem called "The Rising Sun" by John Toland. WWII in the Pacific but based largely on Japanese sources.
The fact that it is based on Japanese sources sounds interesting.
I enjoyed reading sacred causes by Michael Burleigh when I was doing my undergrad. Informative if a little parsimonious in places.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(March 17, 2015 at 12:35 pm)Pandæmonium Wrote: I enjoyed reading sacred causes by Michael Burleigh when I was doing my undergrad. Informative if a little parsimonious in places.

What is his writing style like?
I quite like my history in fiction form.

So I like the Sharpe books that take the facts and weave a compelling story around them , explaining when liberties are taken with the facts for narrative reasons.

Much better to learn this way than by lists of dry dates and accounts.

Caveat don't watch any American films based in history. Everything done by anyone especially during wars was done by the USA U571 I'm looking at you.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Quote:I quite like my history in fiction form.

Then you must love the fucking bible.
(March 17, 2015 at 2:04 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I quite like my history in fiction form.

Then you must love the fucking bible.

The bible had no coherent plot and I couldn't identify with the main protagonist.

Also none of the "facts" stood up to scrutiny.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Allow me to recommend pretty much anything by Bill Bryson. I find his style remarkably entertaining as well as informative. In fact, Bryson's works often unveil previously unknown curiosities that often lead to passionate reading adventures of their own.

http://billbrysonbooks.com/index.php/books/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Great Man approach to history still have use? FrustratedFool 45 2304 December 6, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Most notorious badass in history? Fake Messiah 67 3690 September 7, 2023 at 6:39 am
  Is history best forgotten? MarcusA 0 321 August 18, 2023 at 12:56 am
Last Post: MarcusA
  The biggest scandal in history Fake Messiah 23 1518 August 14, 2023 at 8:32 am
Last Post: no one
  Want to know WW2 history? Brian37 12 1682 June 13, 2023 at 9:57 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Who was the worst Christian in history? Fake Messiah 29 3670 February 28, 2023 at 1:38 pm
  History is for suckers. brokefree 13 1338 September 2, 2021 at 10:45 pm
  The Bilble the oldest living form of written history we have jasonelijah 37 4022 April 22, 2021 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Presidential history. Brian37 16 1176 January 4, 2021 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Raven about Polls ..... History or myth? Brian37 9 1252 October 14, 2020 at 8:41 am