Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Churches losing membership four times faster than they are gaining it
Churches losing membership four times faster than they are gaining it
Not a recent article, but I think it shows some insight:

http://www.alternet.org/story/151947/goo...generation

It doesn't mention that Gen Y-ers are also growing more skeptical of religion as they get older, a significant difference from previous generations, which is likely to have an accelerating effect.

The article also has a plausible explanation for why both fundamentalist churches and the GOP are getting crazier and crazier, and why THAT is an accelerator for people leaving.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
RE: Churches losing membership four times faster than they are gaining it
Do you think we get better at critical thinking, or is old time religion just not cool any more?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 24, 2015 at 11:22 am)Alex K Wrote: Do you think we get better at critical thinking, or is old time religion just not cool any more?

I wish the former but it is definitely the latter. The kids just don't see why they should hate the gays and perceive their faith traditions as hateful and hypocritical. So they leave. Which leaves their old church even grayer and more old-fashioned, which makes it even less tolerable for moderates and people who don't see why homosexuality is the number one concern of their church.
Both, in my opinion largely due to the vast amount of free, accessible, fact-checkable information made available via the internet and other mass communications.

I mean, one of the pillars of keeping young people in religion is keeping them insulated against competing ideas until the religious ideas have been sufficiently ingrained. Have you tried telling a young person to stay off the internet? May as well hold a giant sign saying "we're afraid you'll figure out our bullshit".
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
That is a factor as well, but far from the whole story. It's likely an additional accelerator, but the trend of each generation being less religious than the previous one has been going on since the forties.
(March 24, 2015 at 11:28 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: That is a factor as well, but far from the whole story. It's likely an additional accelerator, but the trend of each generation being less religious than the previous one has been going on since the forties.

True, but the trend-breaking upward spike of the "nones" in the recent decade or so is (in my opinion, anyway) directly linked to mass information technology like the internet.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Big time. After doing no research I firmly conclude the Internet is a massive factor. Being able to check stuff you are told instantly makes it so much harder to insulate children from reality and scientific knoweldge.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 24, 2015 at 11:22 am)Alex K Wrote: Do you think we get better at critical thinking, or is old time religion just not cool any more?

It's not cool anymore and how the hell do you expect the 90's generation and up to think that the bible is true.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Some more analysis:

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones-on-the-rise/
Add to this the argument can be made that when people have been told "to pray" or to "give it to god" and they do, when nothing changes or when problems get worse, they start thinking about why this so-called "god" didn't do as was expected. If I'm told to give my problems to god, by someone who is witnessing to me, and I do, but nothing happens it's like the salesman really failed at making the convincing argument of why I should buy the product he's peddling. It didn't work, therefore I'm not going to waste my time or money on it.

And then there's also the argument that can be made against tithing. A lot of people are struggling these days. Why should they tithe to a place when they don't really have the money to begin with? It's a weak argument, but one that could still be made.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 7335 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  List of religious end times/Second coming of Jesus predictions purplepurpose 13 4169 November 22, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Famous people losing their religion: stories Fake Messiah 14 2758 May 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Four proofs of the nonexistence of God Interaktive 182 44665 May 6, 2018 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2872 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Even in darkest times here is something that made me smile dyresand 3 1946 May 17, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheist Churches phoenix31 53 4288 January 29, 2017 at 4:10 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  Losing my religion was the best thing that ever happened to me. Mechaghostman2 30 5878 November 6, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Are the churches using atheists to gain more converts? madog 46 7351 June 21, 2016 at 4:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are the far right Christians here in the U.S. just upset they're losing power GoHalos1993 52 7690 June 9, 2016 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus