Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Office [pic-heavy]
My Office [pic-heavy]
As y'all may or may not know, I help manage a small nature preserve in Central Texas, Hamilton Pool Preserve. We're part of the larger Balcones Canyonland preserve, a large swath of land set aside in order to protect the mating grounds of the golden-cheeked warbler, an endangered bird with fewer than five thousand mating pairs in the wild.

Hamilton Pool is a little over 230 acres of juniper savannah -- rolling uplands dotted with ashe juniper, black oak, live oak, and cedar elm. The Preserve includes a box-canyon with an entirely different subtropical forest ecology based on bald cypress, , Mexican sycamore, various oaks, and underbrush such as Virginia creeper, acarita, and persimmon.

We've got your usual small mammals here: raccoons, 'possum, porcupines, skunks, grey fox, and the occasion coyote, white-tail deer, or wild hog. Cougars live in the area, but haven't been spotted in the Preserve in some years. Cold-blooded animals include at least nine different species of snakes, including all four North American venomous types, at least four different species of turtles, and numerous lizards and frogs

The Preserve is named after its most amazing feature, a pool, fed by a waterfall, located in a collapsed grotto at the end of a box-canyon. The entire region was once seafloor during the Cretaceous, though sea would recede and then return several times over 230 million years or so. This resulted in thick beds of limestone separated by thin layers of topsoil.

Around 60 million yeas ago, the sea receded for the last time. As the seafloor was exposed to the elements, rainwater percolated through the limestone, removing the soluble layers of topsoil that had petrified between the limeston. This robbed the beds of limestone of support, so that when an underground spring undermined the area, the sheets of limestone collapsed and formed this beautiful grotto:

Picture from Feb 2015

My job is to process permits, patrol our trails to ensure rules compliance, help keep the Preserve clean, collect data about flora, fauna, and climate, and during the busy summer months, crowd control.

Winter is almost over here, and with an early spring morning and afternoon last week, I got some nice shots.

West wall of the box-canyon

The trail leading into the Pool. This view will be radically different in six weeks once spring is in full swing.

The waterfall where Hamilton Creek feeds into the grotto.

Shot from behind the waterfall, showing the sand-spit where sunbathers lay out to sun.

From deep inside the grotto, looking back at its entrance. The tall, bare trees on the right are bald cypress; in another month, they will have a
new set of needles and provide a cool rain-forest type of cover for the undergrowth. Pardonthe color processing, necessary to tamp down the contrast in the shot.

The other, less popular draw is the trail to the Pedernales River. It's not too long, about one kilometer, but it is a beautiful little hike with sights all its own, running alongside Hamilton Creek (shown in the pics below) downstream of the Pool.

The local residents are rarely visible this time of years. The mammals we have are largely nocturnal, and the reptiles are still in their hibernacula ... but I will be posting pics of them as the season goes along. The snake-squeamish should beware -- others, pull up a chair and we'll take a walk through the summer here in Central Texas.

RE: My Office [pic-heavy]
Beautiful stuff!

I think I'll quit my job. My office is a shithole.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Amazing. Awesome photos, PT! I'm so jealous. I want a job like yours.
To Alex K:

Whose office isn't a shithole compared with that?

To Norman Humann:

You might want to find out about pay and benefits before you sign up, as well as learn about the local weather.

To Parkers Tan:

That looks really nice. It must be great there in the spring and fall.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Beautiful PT!
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
(March 28, 2015 at 1:59 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: That looks really nice. It must be great there in the spring and fall.

It's great in the summer and winter, too.

Now, the summer brings large crowds, and that creates its own set of issues, but I don't mind 105°F afternoons, myself. The wildlife is abundant at that time, and I get plenty of opportunity to observe and learn. The key then is to drink copious amounts of water -- seven or eight liters a day is not unusual for me in that season.

Winters are cool-to-cold, and damp. Temperatures here will occasionally get down into the teens or low twenties, but even so, you heat up quickly hiking three-dimensional terrain. And I'm one of those folks who thinks even the austerity of winter has a beauty all its own -- "January trees with their branches bare."

Quote:Around 60 million yeas ago, the sea receded for the last time

Don't you mean 2,500 years ago....after the fucking flood?

Angel

Spring has arrived at the Preserve. It's been beautiful -- 80° days -- and the leaves are back on the trees. The reptiles are coming out of hibernation.

And the schoolkids are still in school, so it's still enjoyable.

Compare the leaves on the Mexican Sycamore to the first pic in this thread, taken in mid-February.

The turtles are happy spring is here. Here are six of them hanging out grabbing some tan -- three species in this picture.

More marine fossils -- cephalopods here.

The Creek.

Saw my first snake of the season last week, a two-foot water moccasin.

Sunfish. Their mating season is about to start.

Black ground beetle.

Another cottonmouth, this one near the footbridge.

Texas creek frog.

Juvenile diamond-backed water-snake.

Red-eared slider, out for a swim.

Another mocccasin.  I almost stepped on this one -- less than a foot away ... it definitely got my heartrate up when he took off.

The same snake.

Lovely photos, PT. I envy you, as always, since the spring here is only now getting to work. It's still mostly brown and only grayish green.

Those fossils look amazing. I'd love to get a closer look on them.
They are great. You know that limestone is largely a comglomerate of seashells in a matrix, so each of the rocks in each of the pictures is laden with fossils. In the picture below, you can also see both external and internal molds of bivalves. Every boulder in the photos of the grotto are laden with such fossils.

The largest fossil I've seen is this cephalopod impression:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your ideal home office/computer pit. Gawdzilla Sama 4 741 August 25, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Help me catch the office coffee thief J a c k 72 15101 November 28, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Losty
  post pic of your workspace/pc area/personal lair Marsellus Wallace 33 5019 September 2, 2015 at 4:38 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Microsoft office suites certification Shinagami 6 2100 July 31, 2015 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Florida Sherrifs office rug removed. downbeatplumb 6 1381 January 16, 2015 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: abaris
  post a pic of your fav coffee cup! goodwithoutgod 10 1992 January 16, 2015 at 4:01 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  Comic Con! (Image Heavy) StuW 6 3890 April 27, 2014 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  your pet pic Marsellus Wallace 35 5937 February 23, 2014 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: ElleBelle
  US used 'Christian heavy metal' to torture Iraqi militants Gooders1002 10 3381 February 15, 2013 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Anybody else notice the new atheist forums pic? MilesTailsPrower 5 1379 July 13, 2011 at 9:06 am
Last Post: Napoléon