Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't seem to let go
Can't seem to let go
I used to be a Christian until I came accross a Jewish site which convinced me that Christianity is false. Now, I would consider myself an agnostic, but I feel like I should follow a religion simply to avoid a bad afterlife. I know this sounds cowardly and that there are so many choices, but I grew up believing in a burning hell and I find the idea of this terrifying.

But I don't think I can follow a religion that condemns people for their beleifs, sexuality, race etc and this is one reason why I haven't followed a religion yet. There are a few reasons, but fear keeps me in this sort of limbo.

How can I let go of religion?
RE: Can't seem to let go
You need a philosophy, not a religion.. And welcome by the way Smile
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Now you need a site to convince you that all religion is fake.

Perhaps atheistforums will do the trick.
(March 25, 2010 at 11:43 am)sunflash Wrote: I used to be a Christian until I came accross a Jewish site which convinced me that Christianity is false. Now, I would consider myself an agnostic, but I feel like I should follow a religion simply to avoid a bad afterlife. I know this sounds cowardly and that there are so many choices, but I grew up believing in a burning hell and I find the idea of this terrifying.

But I don't think I can follow a religion that condemns people for their beleifs, sexuality, race etc and this is one reason why I haven't followed a religion yet. There are a few reasons, but fear keeps me in this sort of limbo.

Find solace in the fact that the only one controlling your life is yourself. We're all subject to influences and chance, but supernatural influences and haughty judgements are the last thing to think about when trying to live your life the best you can.

Some people enjoy being subservient to an ultimate authority, and truly fear the repercussions of being wrong about such an issue. Fear is something that you have to face head on to eliminate it. Analyze why you have this fear, and realize that everyone has a fear and fascination with the unknown. Mankind is still coming to terms with its mortality. The reward of heaven or fear of hell is a catalyst for those who believe in it to feel morally justified for doing what they did in life. Their actions lend no credence to the notion that these places are real, and there's haven't been any good reasons to think that a heaven or hell exist.

Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent. Smile
Welcome and fear of punishment or reward is no reason to believe in anything.You eiher believe in an afterlife or not, but that has little to d with following any perscried religion. Try some of the godless religions to help your separation, if you can't just break it yourself.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
You're not holding on to religion you're holding on to superstition, which is part of the spiritual experience that would encompass both. Atheism is the denial of reality and the limitation of it to the material, which is ultimately illogical.
Every time I see a post like that I am so glad I was never in that situation. I'm sorry I can't help you much.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
How to let go?

Take it easy, take a deep breath. Look at this wonderful, unexplored universe.

Now live in it.
Quote:Atheism is the denial of reality
Wrong, atheism is nothing more than lack of belief in the existance of god or gods.
Shoulda learnt that by now.:|

Quote:Try some of the godless religions
Lack of belief in god does not constitute a religion.

@sunflash -
There is no logical reason to fear such a place. Religion and it's threats have such a low credibility.
Living isn't about fearing the end but living for the now. Hell is the place for which was created by our very imagination.
Kinda like when you feared monsters under your bed at night as a child. Fearing the dark because you cannot see what lurks in the dark. Our imagination can bring fear, comfort and happiness. My imagination always brings me back to sex.Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(March 25, 2010 at 11:43 am)sunflash Wrote: I used to be a Christian until I came accross a Jewish site which convinced me that Christianity is false. Now, I would consider myself an agnostic, but I feel like I should follow a religion simply to avoid a bad afterlife. I know this sounds cowardly and that there are so many choices, but I grew up believing in a burning hell and I find the idea of this terrifying.

So the idea is to for you to pretend to believe in something to avoid a place you don't think exists. Let me know how that works out.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's be honest Kingpin 109 6496 May 21, 2023 at 5:39 am
Last Post: GUBU
Tongue Let's see some Atheist or Anti Religion Memes Spooky 317 158491 July 10, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Let us think why humanity developed several religions but only one science? Nishant 10 2888 January 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Let's exchange some recipies rado84 1 869 December 1, 2016 at 7:12 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Let's talk about.... dyresand 7 1837 November 8, 2015 at 10:31 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Let's create an eternal blissful life through science FreeAtheist 18 4776 October 12, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Let's answer CARM's Questions for Atheists Dolorian 89 19657 September 17, 2014 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Let's join the dots ignoramus 20 2914 June 20, 2014 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  let the GAMES BEGIN!!!! BlackSwordsman 14 2523 May 1, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  What can we do to promote Atheism? How can we unite? shadowninjax 93 34660 November 20, 2013 at 11:08 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen