Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bait and switch using race to avoid religion.
Bait and switch using race to avoid religion.
I have seen every religion pull this. Muslims and Jews and Christians and Hindus and Buddhists especially. It is possible to be light toned and Buddhist. It is possible to have round eyes and white skin and Buddhist. It is possible to be light skin and Muslim. It is possible to be Korean and Christian. It is possible to be black and atheist.

There are former Muslims who are now atheists. There are former Christians who are now atheist. There are people who are born in and still live in India that don't even buy Hinduism that are now atheists. Not even "atheist" is a race.

Often you get the argument from oppression from any of these labels WORLDWIDE. They have no problem pointing at the transgressions of others and harm done to them, and the atheist while rightfully agreeing no one should be hurt over beliefs, cant even point to people who live there who have the same family backgrounds and facial features and skin tones who no longer buy the religion of the society they live under.

Race is used by every religion to protect the idea of religion itself. This is worldwide and easily negated by posting links of atheist groups that have worldwide backgrounds.......So here are some samples of atheists groups who come from all sorts of religions they left.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IndianRa...sociation/

https://www.facebook.com/IAAMT?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/BlackAtheistsofAmerica?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/groups/368606652484/

https://www.facebook.com/ExposingReligionJapan?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/groups/32133147062/ (Israeli atheists)

Religion is poison, not in the context that it would be a reality to get rid of it completely on a planet of 7 billion. But it is the root cause of human division and by accepting that you can learn to manage divisions better in an imperfect world.

It is simply a call to not allow the CONCEPT itself to be used to distract humanity from the fact that we are the same species. Not even the word "atheist" is a race, it isn't even a political party or economic view.

Religion must be challenged, not to kill it, but to insure it be given no special claims to be a patent holder on our collective species. There still is only one species.
RE: Bait and switch using race to avoid religion.
(March 25, 2015 at 10:58 am)Brian37 Wrote:

Religion must be challenged, not to kill it, but to insure it be given no special claims to be a patent holder on our collective species. There still is only one species.

In this laudable pursuit, I see a need to identify the commonalities among religions that make them what they are. Their mechanisms for mind control, the threats, the actions, their reproductive strategies. Once identified, these should be advertised and their unhelpful qualities condemned. I think it would be good to stay out of the unfalsifiable end of the pool because there is where religions have always been strongest. People actually believe that shit.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Not sure what you mean? I also warn atheists not to try to make their goal a utopia. I am for keeping things on a leash and moving towards a more naturalistic view, but Plato really fucked up human thought successfully selling the idea of "essense" and everything gets treated like a religion, even political views, race, nationality and business models. There will never be a utopia for anyone.

But in saying that religion should never be blindly valued. Humans need to learn to separate rights from issues of credibility. I still get tired of ANYONE using race to avoid the elephant in the room.
The problem is atheism (at least from what I have noticed in the US) has become very much a white identity and atheists haven't done a very good job expanding to minorities (they have been called out many times because of this) and when they do, it's insulting like how they dealt with Jews and how they reached out to African Americans (the slavery billboard)....it bordered on white supremacism in how it appeared to us minorities.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
I'm supposed to be enticing minorities into atheism?

That's news to me.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Gotta keep up on all these little bylaw changes that the Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler sends out.

Oh wait...we don't have a Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler. 

We should appoint one!
(April 5, 2015 at 10:10 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Gotta keep up on all these little bylaw changes that the Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler sends out.

Oh wait...we don't have a Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler. 

We should appoint one!

You mean you want to become a theist?

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(April 5, 2015 at 10:09 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I'm supposed to be enticing minorities into atheism?

That's news to me.

There is a big difference between enticing and alienating.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(April 5, 2015 at 10:17 pm)Polaris Wrote:
(April 5, 2015 at 10:09 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I'm supposed to be enticing minorities into atheism?

That's news to me.

There is a big difference between enticing and alienating.

The thing is, atheism isn't a unified group or organization.  Atheists are people who are not theists, and that isn't an organization or unified group.  Just like the people who are not plumbers or those who are not stamp collectors.

That said, I have little patience for racists, sexists, and other bigots.  Whether they are atheists or not.  There are some vile atheists.  I don't have a problem with saying that, while I am an atheist.  There are also vile people who are not plumbers and who are not stamp collectors, even though I fall into those groups, too.  None of these are an organization or club that has bylaws or rules to which they all agree to adhere.

It would be good if all atheists were good people.  But the simple fact is, the only thing one can say about all atheists is that they are not theists.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion shouldn't be called a race. Brian37 15 1265 July 4, 2018 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Using Data Visualization to View History Horizontally Whateverist 0 885 January 13, 2016 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Whateverist