Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with Windows 8.1
Need help with Windows 8.1
Just got a new computer with Windows 8.1. I installed a USB flash drive and I can't find the icon for it on my screen's desk top. I also tried to download GIMP photo editing and can't get it to open. Everything was much easier with Xubuntu.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: Need help with Windows 8.1
If it's anything like 7, click on "start" and then "computer". You should see it on the left side of the screen. If you do, you should be able to right click on it and make a shortcut to the desktop.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(March 26, 2015 at 3:17 am)Judi Lynn Wrote: If it's anything like 7, click on "start" and then "computer". You should see it on the left side of the screen. If you do, you should be able to right click on it and make a shortcut to the desktop.

There you are thinking that it would be like Windows 7.

You need to go to the desktop by clicking the windows key.
Click on the icon that looks like a folder should be on the ribbon on the bottom of the screen.
find this PC or PC and click.
one of the things this brings up should be the devices plugged into the PC.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Yup. That's me! At least I was offering some help. Smile
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Ah. Metro. Microsoft thought that one of the most iconic features of their OS needed to be dumped, so away with the start menu, hello fucking Metro. Gross.

First thing you want to do is turn off Metro as much as Microsoft will let you.

1) Right Click on the Windows Icon. (This is as close to a traditional Start Menu as you're gonna get!) (The default should have the file explorer icon right next to the start button to find your USB drive, but if it's not, you can choose "File Explorer" from this menu)
2) Click Control Panel, and then "Appearance and Personalization". Then Click on Taskbar and Navigation Properties.
3) Go to the Navigation Tab. You can personalize and get rid of some of the more annoying Microsoft Touch features, like corner navigation and going to Metro when you minimize a fucking window instead of the desktop. (Whoever thought that would be the better default option should be fired!)
4) Check "Show the apps view automatically when I go to Start" <---this will make it so when you do hit the Start button, it will show the apps installed on the computer rather than the useless Metro screen.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
If you need any help smashing the crap out of windows 8, I'm there. I can't stand it! I'd rather keep my bust up laptop with windows 7 forever.

Reality to windows 8: you are not a mobile phone!

God damn.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
You'll be given the option to upgrade to win10 (which gives you a bit more control over that "start menu") for free, once it comes out.... this year.

That said, Winkey+E opens explorer and then you just need to check the drives currently mounted.... one of them should the usb stick.
Know your windows keyboard shortcuts. It helps with stupidly touchy-interfacey crapware.

When in doubt, CTRL+ALT+DEL.
Or Alt+F4.
(March 26, 2015 at 3:03 am)A Theist Wrote: Just got a new computer with Windows 8.1. I installed a USB flash drive and I can't find the icon for it on my screen's desk top. I also tried to download GIMP photo editing and can't get it to open. Everything was much easier with Xubuntu.
Agreed xubuntu is much nicer
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Free download called Classic Shell, makes windoze 8 look and feel like Win7 or XP works well!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

If you must use Windows, visit newegg.com, but a cheap 4G sd card and a an OEM copy of Win 7. Format, install 7 and enjoy the lack of Winblows 8
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows defender has, once again, incorrectly identified my program as malware! FlatAssembler 36 718 February 22, 2024 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  [Serious] Windows Movie Maker Help T.J. 6 682 November 29, 2021 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: AniKoferBo
  Windows Security plus Win 11 Oldandeasilyconfused 2 340 November 25, 2021 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Windows 11. Install it; Yes/ No/Wait Oldandeasilyconfused 24 2132 November 10, 2021 at 10:52 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Windows 11? Angrboda 29 2248 September 23, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: no one
  Anybody ever run Windows 10 on server hardware? popeyespappy 1 528 November 6, 2019 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why isn't Android more serious contender to Windows? Fake Messiah 8 862 June 20, 2019 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Getting a Windows 98 game to run on modern windows vulcanlogician 23 2137 January 19, 2019 at 7:09 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  HELP! The Page Breaks in All My Documents Have Disappeared in Windows 2013 Rhondazvous 18 3812 January 9, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Windows 10 Running Slow A Theist 30 7931 June 2, 2017 at 5:46 am
Last Post: Joods