Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indiana's Govenor Signs 'Religious Freedom' Bill
Indiana's Govenor Signs 'Religious Freedom' Bill
Quote:Indiana business owners who object to same-sex couples will now have a legal right to deny them services after Republican Gov. Mike Pence signed a bill known as the Religious Freedom Restoration Act into law.

The legislation, approved by Indiana's GOP-controlled House and Senate, prevents state and local governments from "substantially burdening" a person's exercise of religion unless a compelling governmental interest can be proved.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015...iesfromnpr

How is ensuring equal treatment not a "compelling governemnt interest?"

The real question, though, is where does this stop? When do you determine an act is too immoral to be allowed in the name of religious freedom? Can an ER doctor refuse to operate on someone based on religious beliefs?

At least this will let us know who the real assholes are.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
RE: Indiana's Govenor Signs 'Religious Freedom' Bill
So because of these assholes' superstition, people can't get married.

Republicans can't marry now, because it offends my irrational belief in the republican-hating sky unicorn. Too bad.
The Virginia Religious Freedom Act penned by Thomas Jefferson, although prior to the Constitution being signed, was a a bill that actually protected religion. It was also what Madison modeled the First Amendment from.

These guys are simply trying to cling to the past and fear change. One lawsuit and this should get thrown out, probably won't make it past an appeals court.
'Religious Freedom Restoration Act' . . . because 'The Pandering to Bigots and Religious Fuckwits Act' wasn't as popular in GOP focus groups.
This is the next step. These assholes know that the Supreme Court is going to overturn all the bans on Same Sex Marriage in June. They are preparing by making it legal to still treat them like second class citizens.

Literally legislating discrimination. It seems so obvious to me that this is the exact same shit as 50 years ago with Jim Crow laws. How do they not see that?

I like this lady's idea:
Oklahoma Rep. Emily Virgin Suggests Businesses Post Notice Before Discriminating Against Patrons
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Don't you just love the eternal fountain of shit that is the religious right? When will the people smarten up and stop voting for these human turds?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(March 26, 2015 at 5:03 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: This is the next step. These assholes know that the Supreme Court is going to overturn all the bans on Same Sex Marriage in June. They are preparing by making it legal to still treat them like second class citizens.

Literally legislating discrimination. It seems so obvious to me that this is the exact same shit as 50 years ago with Jim Crow laws. How do they not see that?

I like this lady's idea:
Oklahoma Rep. Emily Virgin Suggests Businesses Post Notice Before Discriminating Against Patrons

It is a hollow act and short term. This is simply a bone to throw to the public so they ignore corporate welfare fucking them over.
[Image: B-StopUsingJesus.gif]

Welcome to Fucking Indiana where they do this all the time!
(March 26, 2015 at 5:03 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: It seems so obvious to me that this is the exact same shit as 50 years ago with Jim Crow laws. How do they not see that?

I guess they see it all right. And I guess there are some who would like to tunr back the clock some 50 years.

It's always amazing that hatred and exclusion seem to be the hallmarks of some religious people. Hating on someone seems to be the most important things in their lives.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 26, 2015 at 5:03 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: This is the next step. These assholes know that the Supreme Court is going to overturn all the bans on Same Sex Marriage in June. They are preparing by making it legal to still treat them like second class citizens.

I like this lady's idea:

See it? They are enthusiastic about it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bill Clinton and Ukraine Interaktive 4 342 August 5, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 989 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  TX social media censorship bill Fake Messiah 24 2094 September 14, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Crypto bill paulpablo 31 2600 August 19, 2021 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Az Lawmaker introduces scary bill. Brian37 40 3347 February 1, 2021 at 10:29 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 983 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Compare Joe Biden In 2012 To Him Today: Signs of Dementia Are Clear ReptilianPeon 11 1880 April 12, 2020 at 6:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Equal pay for women's soccer or no Fed funding bill brewer 55 4639 August 4, 2019 at 7:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Farm Bill Food Fight The Grand Nudger 20 3526 May 15, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws Mechaghostman2 13 1574 May 1, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3