Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is there gravity?
Why is there gravity?
So gravity is awesome. It keeps my ass in my chair and my beer in the bottle (provided I hold it right side up). But why is it there? What causes it? Just things having mass? I've searched it up and all I got were ambiguous "We don't know"'s or "That's just how the universe works"'s.
Does anyone else know more on this subject? Is there even anyone studying this stuff?
RE: Why is there gravity?
(March 28, 2015 at 7:27 am)urlawyer Wrote: So gravity is awesome. It keeps my ass in my chair and my beer in the bottle (provided I hold it right side up). But why is it there? What causes it? Just things having mass? I've searched it up and all I got were ambiguous "We don't know"'s or "That's just how the universe works"'s.
Does anyone else know more on this subject? Is there even anyone studying this stuff?

The concept was that mass causes distortion in four dimensional space time but there are also particles called gravitons maybe.

It's one of those things we don't really know yet. Like how quantum entanglement works or what dark energy is.

Not to worry, people with brains immeasurably superior to my own are working on it.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Two words.

Noodly appendages.
DBP: Well, as long as there are people wondering there are people searching I suppose. I hope they find the answer soon, I'm pretty curious.
(March 28, 2015 at 7:39 am)I_am_not_mafia Wrote: Two words.

Noodly appendages.

Gives a whole new meaning to quantum entanglement. *chuckle*
Well, why not?
Because floating around as a gelatinous mass could be fun.
(March 28, 2015 at 7:27 am)urlawyer Wrote: So gravity is awesome. It keeps my ass in my chair and my beer in the bottle (provided I hold it right side up). But why is it there? What causes it? Just things having mass? I've searched it up and all I got were ambiguous "We don't know"'s or "That's just how the universe works"'s.

Seriously, this is one of the most fundamental questions in science. The same thing as with the nature of electric charge. We know to some extent the mechanisms of gravitation but not why it is there. Basically, just asking "why is it there?" is not unlike asking "is there God?" or "what is truth?". No one knows and may be no one will ever know. The question is too vague. Science does not answer "final" or "eternal" questions like that (it's what Philosophy tries to do), it creates models that describe the world more and more precise with each step, each new theory. To say it metaphorically, science tries to asymptotically approach reality.
If I remember right, gravity doesn't "happen" instantly but has a delay as simulated by these possible gravitron entities.

Did I get that right wiser ones?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Our universe just barely has gravity.

Really.

It is ASTONISHINGLY weak.

Think about it, the ENTIRE earth is pulling on your kids report card and the puny little teeny tiny Scooby Doo refrigerator magnet COMPLETELY overpowers it !!!!!!!!!

Gravity ?? Meh !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 559 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Professor Sean Carroll on Why there is Something... Jehanne 13 1267 August 25, 2018 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1849 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 5938 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Defy Gravity! Haipule 43 5324 January 26, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  If there's nothing in empty space, then how does it get warped by gravity? EruptedCarcassBloat 31 5522 October 13, 2016 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Is there a real chance that there is a multiverse? SerenelyBlue 127 14909 September 15, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  How exactly does gravity affect time? ErGingerbreadMandude 17 2170 February 21, 2016 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Is Gravity acting upwards or downwards? ErGingerbreadMandude 64 8596 August 7, 2015 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  A Capella Science - Bohemian Gravity! Cyberman 3 1466 September 18, 2013 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: pocaracas