Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 'Murrican 'Xcepshunal' Crowd is Going to Hate This
The 'Murrican 'Xcepshunal' Crowd is Going to Hate This
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/here-...the-world/

Quote:Here are 9 things many Americans just don’t understand — compared to the rest of the world

Quote:3. American Exceptionalism Is Absolute Nonsense in 2015

No matter how severe the U.S.’ decline becomes, neocons and the Tea Party continue to espouse their belief in “American exceptionalism.” But in many respects, the U.S. of 2015 is far from exceptional. The U.S. is not exceptional when it comes to civil liberties (no country in the world incarcerates, per capita, more of its people than the U.S.) or healthcare (WHO ranks the U.S. #37 in terms of healthcare). Nor is the U.S. a leader in terms of life expectancy: according to the WHO, overall life expectancy in the U.S. in 2013 was 79 compared to 83 in Switzerland and Japan, 82 in Spain, France, Italy, Sweden and Canada and 81 in the Netherlands, Germany, Norway, Austria and Finland.

Are we still a first-world country?
RE: The 'Murrican 'Xcepshunal' Crowd is Going to Hate This
Quote: (no country in the world incarcerates, per capita, more of its people than the U.S.)
Like it says- American Exceptionalism.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
In answer to the OP, yes, we are still a first world country, but that sense of momentum so many mistake for forward motion is really us swirling the drain. The Right in this country has done such a 'good' job of framing the so-called debate on issue after issue that a majority (or at least substantial minority) of citizens will gladly vote against their own interests in election after election, all the while thinking they are casting rational, freely-chosen votes in the name of God, freedom, and mom's apple pie. It's mind-boggling to me, since the Right is so transparently full of shit. Then again, a long tradition of populist anti-intellectualism (including religious nuttery) combined with dismal across-the-board educational outcomes that only seem to get worse with time will lead to such sheepish behavior. Sadly, "keep 'em dumb and fearful" seems to work.

But this isn't only about right wing villainy. The left (that overused and meaningless phrase that, in the U.S. really means the moderate center) has utterly abdicated their responsibility to lay out for voters a meaningful alternative and plan of action to counteract this drift to the right and the downward spiral. The differences between the Democrats and the Republicans, though real, are insignificant since they are both fundamentally on board with what business interests and big money donors want. If there was a real Left in this country, there might be enough political push-back on some issues to force things toward the center and some semblance of sanity, but alas . . .

This will only get worse. I don't know if I'll live to see it, but I believe that the U.S. will reach a point at which the disparity between the oligarchs and their political pets on the one hand and the unwashed, manipulated, and ultimately fed-up masses on the other will become so extreme that blood will flow in the streets.

We stumbled into the role of superpower almost by accident. It took the devastation of two world wars and a worldwide depression to allow us (virtually unscathed by the carnage) to assume such leadership. To think that we squandered it within a few generations is almost too depressing to think about. I would love to get a sneak preview of the historical judgement that will be leveled against late-20th and 21st Century America. We have only ourselves to blame.

Fuck.
(March 28, 2015 at 4:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Are we still a first-world country?
That depends on the definition. I do see the downward spiral, but I do not expect to see the result.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(March 28, 2015 at 4:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/here-...the-world/

Quote:Here are 9 things many Americans just don’t understand — compared to the rest of the world

Quote:3. American Exceptionalism Is Absolute Nonsense in 2015

No matter how severe the U.S.’ decline becomes, neocons and the Tea Party continue to espouse their belief in “American exceptionalism.” But in many respects, the U.S. of 2015 is far from exceptional. The U.S. is not exceptional when it comes to civil liberties (no country in the world incarcerates, per capita, more of its people than the U.S.) or healthcare (WHO ranks the U.S. #37 in terms of healthcare). Nor is the U.S. a leader in terms of life expectancy: according to the WHO, overall life expectancy in the U.S. in 2013 was 79 compared to 83 in Switzerland and Japan, 82 in Spain, France, Italy, Sweden and Canada and 81 in the Netherlands, Germany, Norway, Austria and Finland.

Are we still a first-world country?

I firmly believe in American Exceptionalism! We are the exception to the good in the developed world.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1285 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The problem with "Hate crimes". onlinebiker 25 1158 February 11, 2022 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Trump is going to be reelected.... Jehanne 250 11152 January 21, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 847 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  With All the Anti-QAnon Hate, How Come We Never Hear About Christian Zionism? Seax 21 1806 April 6, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  USA politics of hate Richi29 4 367 July 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trump rap: going hard WinterHold 0 352 June 30, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  I am going postal..... Brian37 12 1077 April 30, 2020 at 6:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Biden isn't going down GrandizerII 82 4540 August 16, 2019 at 3:33 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Anyone going to watch Mueller today? Brian37 33 5137 July 26, 2019 at 8:24 am
Last Post: Amarok