Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ultimate revelations of God.
Ultimate revelations of God.
I put a few thoughts together as I started to write a thread of contribution here. Perception and subjectivity are the first ideas which come to mind. There is also some emphasis cold hard facts and lack of inherent meaning in things which I believe is not the case. When I bring this up the first argument I think I'm likely to hear will be against purpose and intelligent design. Neither of which can be substantiated in any convincing way. Just like God can't be proven and to believe is inherently going to be a personally subjective experience. There's no escaping that but to say that personal subjectivity has a bearing on the truth of something, like an emotion, for example.
Your emotions go on all the time and often go unquestioned - even when they're wrong, and there's no real way of escaping this either, yet this is often the sort of thing which is added to the concept that life is this rigid structure of subjectives, interpretation, etc, etc. Where's the love? What is love outside of how it's experienced? Similar to God, in my opinion.
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
RE: Ultimate revelations of God.
(March 26, 2010 at 4:07 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: I put a few thoughts together as I started to write a thread of contribution here. Perception and subjectivity are the first ideas which come to mind. There is also some emphasis cold hard facts and lack of inherent meaning in things which I believe is not the case. When I bring this up the first argument I think I'm likely to hear will be against purpose and intelligent design. Neither of which can be substantiated in any convincing way. Just like God can't be proven and to believe is inherently going to be a personally subjective experience. There's no escaping that but to say that personal subjectivity has a bearing on the truth of something, like an emotion, for example.
Your emotions go on all the time and often go unquestioned - even when they're wrong, and there's no real way of escaping this either, yet this is often the sort of thing which is added to the concept that life is this rigid structure of subjectives, interpretation, etc, etc. Where's the love? What is love outside of how it's experienced? Similar to God, in my opinion.

So God is comparable to an emotional response to stimuli?
Experience is a real occurence regardless of what that stimuli is.
(March 26, 2010 at 5:59 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: Experience is a real occurence regardless of what that stimuli is.

I believe that I have an experience with invisible dragons. The experience by all that I can distinguish, is real. Does that makes dragons real?
I was thinking the same thing as Tav. I had an emotional experiance with an invisible woodland fairie. That experiance, based on all I could distinguish, was real.

Therefore invisible woodland fairies are real.

And they told me there is no such thing as "God".
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Experiences themselves especially those involving emotions are completely subjective and having them does not make them real. For example you are at home watching a very sad movie although you know that the events portrayed on the screen are not real you connect with the actors on an emotional level and cry. This is a perfect example of what I mean.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

(March 26, 2010 at 6:15 pm)tavarish Wrote:
(March 26, 2010 at 5:59 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: Experience is a real occurence regardless of what that stimuli is.

I believe that I have an experience with invisible dragons. The experience by all that I can distinguish, is real. Does that makes dragons real?
The truth of it would be on you to prove, if you were motivated to convince others of their objective existence. It could also be that dragons was the best way for God to reach you, or it could also be attributed to something sinister, or even mental illness.
(March 27, 2010 at 11:17 am)chatpilot Wrote: Experiences themselves especially those involving emotions are completely subjective and having them does not make them real. For example you are at home watching a very sad movie although you know that the events portrayed on the screen are not real you connect with the actors on an emotional level and cry. This is a perfect example of what I mean.
Let's say that the emotional connection we form with the characters is the only cause of feeling this. Isn't it a part of the human condition to believe what we see? I mean centuries ago you couldn't view anything except for what was real. The ideas were there, the concepts of things that are intangible. Theatre, and the arts, literature, etc are all written from another's perception.

The problems I had with atheism were precisely the points of proof. Then with the lack of this it's easy to say there's nothing inherently good or bad in something. Since qualities can't be proven to extremes it naturally follows that they too probably don't exist. Whereas, despite being imperfect - taking a path of faith without evidence allows acceptance of absolute truth inherent in the meaning of life.
(March 27, 2010 at 11:04 am)Dotard Wrote: I was thinking the same thing as Tav. I had an emotional experiance with an invisible woodland fairie. That experiance, based on all I could distinguish, was real.

Therefore invisible woodland fairies are real.

And they told me there is no such thing as "God".
Is this true? I could argue that the fairy was like the snake of deception Wink Shades
Besides this, even Christian doctrine allows for the truth in other faiths of the same God. It is only that the Christian God is the way He reached me. I wouldn't understand God properly otherwise.
I don'tthink atheist believe in subjective truth... Everyhting must be visible to all equally or have 0 value... I think that about sums up the contention between atheists and thesist.. along with a few notes on evidence and uses of faith.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(March 27, 2010 at 8:23 pm)tackattack Wrote: I don'tthink atheist believe in subjective truth... Everyhting must be visible to all equally or have 0 value... I think that about sums up the contention between atheists and thesist.. along with a few notes on evidence and uses of faith.

Subjective truth? What the hell is that? Something that's true for you but not for anyone else?

2+2=4 for everyone, but 2+2=kumquat for me. It's subjective truth, the best kind of truth there is, because no matter what, you're right!
Subjective truth is an oxymoron it's sort of like military intelligence lol. I personally hate when Christians define their beliefs as absolute truth when they base themselves on faith alone as TW did in his last post.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/