Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In honor of the revolutionary known as Jesus, I present: the Radianites
Heart 
In honor of the revolutionary known as Jesus, I present: the Radianites
This may belong in the Humor section, but I wish to address a 'problem with atheism' that was illustrated (by an atheist group) in a youtube video a while back, keyword being unity, and the power that can be expressed when people are unified under a certain banner. Noted was the lack of unity among atheists, and the question was posed: "What do atheists DO?" Do they start up soup kitchens? Do they get together to fix old people's houses or provide homeless shelters? Do they share stories that specifically illustrate examples of doing 'good' in the world? Do they create grand assemblies that incorporate art and music that lift the spirits and that are free to attend? (hopefully I'll get a gaggle of responses after posting this of atheist organizations doing exactly that.) 

The other challenge is the word 'atheism' itself. It uses the word 'theism' or 'theist', and there's nothing less serving than telling someone about the things you are not. To me, 'atheism' is a black hole of uncertainty. It directly reminds us of the thing we are trying to avoid. We need to be reminded of the thing we wish to become.

--
A Radianite:

Conducts one's life according to the scientific method.
Seeks the longest term effects of his/her actions.
Adheres to morals not for the sake of conforming, but the fact of empathy: 'treat others as you would like to be treated.' (or, mirror neurons)
Knows that achievement is sustainable only in harmony with 'nature' or the 'tao' (this includes society, the environment, )

...And maybe a couple more things to add. Hopefully this wouldn't become tl:dr ten commandments.
If you were to teach these concepts to young children, or some adults, how would they act? The ideas are obviously not mine, drawing from (science?,) Buddhism, Taoism, Naturalism, even the Son himself. 

--
Why the word 'Radianite'?
Similar to Scientology (shudders) the word is a portmanteau of several nifty words/verbs:
Radian - the mathematical unit; giving respect to mathematics. 
Radiant - meaning the light (metaphor) comes from within.
The suffix -ite pertaining to inorganic chemistry; metals. Perhaps the symbol itself (see below)
Rad - it is radical.

--
Why 'become' a Radianite? Is it a cult?
It's just a unifying symbol that doesn't mention the word 'theist' anywhere. There are no degrees, no initiations, and if applicable, it might even align with your current religion. It is meant to stir a bit less outrage. I don't know what it should/could be classified as; a movement, fraternity, non-profit, humanitarian organization, a religion itself? (which sure worked for Stranger in a Strange Land!) Hopefully those who adopt its tenets can easily find others to help run soup kitchens or develop cold fusion.

--
*Really-cool highly symbolic logo/symbol forthcoming using elements like:*
The compass rose
Apollo's bow & arrow (pointed at 57.296 degrees)
The 'R'
The carbon atom (6 protons, 6 neutrons, 6 electrons); the basis of life
A clock
It needs lots of work, and probably lots of marketing. Comments and suggestions?[Image: confused-fall.gif]
RE: In honor of the revolutionary known as Jesus, I present: the Radianites
Cool story bro!
It will never get off the ground unless you can reduce it to 140 characters.

This is the modern age, you know?
What happened to LastPoet? Ban hammer?
(April 5, 2015 at 3:19 pm)LastPoet Wrote: Cool story bro!
Alas, there are no epic stories yet to help generate interest. I'll try to write one.

(April 5, 2015 at 3:56 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It will never get off the ground unless you can reduce it to 140 characters.

This is the modern age, you know?
Does it need a slogan? That might fit. "Think, test, build, serve." "What would Gaben do?" "Radianites of the North." Perhaps actions need to speak first, titles later.
Yes.  Slogans are vital.

If advertising has taught us anything it is that the slogan is more important than the product....something religion has known for thousands of years.
Sounds like "Brights."

Meh.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 5, 2015 at 10:19 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Sounds like "Brights."

Meh.
I hadn't heard of this, thanks.
"Stir a bit less outrage?"
But I have so much fun doing it calling myself an atheist!
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 14598 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  An argument for why God would make himself known. Mystic 55 9158 October 29, 2014 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Honor justin 21 2374 November 4, 2013 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: catfish