Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"You wouldn't say that to my face" OP/ED
This OP/ED IS NOT aimed at anyone here on this board, this is in response to something I have seen all my life and it pisses me off way more than getting pissed off. "You wouldn't say that to my face" or "I'll kick your ass" in response to an insult. Is when you are an adult schoolyard bullshit.

Ok let me flat out say that line is not a label thing, it is not owned by atheists, Christians, Muslims, Jews ect ect ect. It is unfortunately a stupid fucking line that should be left back at the schoolyard. 

As much as I blaspheme and cuss I really do get sick, even when atheist pull that crap, of thinking because someone offended you have the right to respond back with a threat. NO YOU DO NOT, respond back yes, but if you are not in high school or grade school, you don't use childish responses like that. 

I was bullied as a kid, and of course as an adult I still get called names even from other atheists. But I never respond with "I'm going to kick your ass". No, you get in my face, I either respond with a "fuck you", or I simply ignore you. I DO understand no one likes to get picked on. But that does not entitle anyone to respond to getting picked on to making threats or implying threats.

Part of the civil west is getting offended, and the other part of that is also the common law of not making threats or responding to getting offended with threats. 
RE: "You wouldn't say that to my face" OP/ED
I try hard not to say anything online to someone which I wouldn't be prepared to say directly to their face.

And agreed, threats are never acceptable.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 6, 2015 at 7:14 am)robvalue Wrote: I try hard not to say anything online to someone which I wouldn't be prepared to say directly to their face.

And agreed, threats are never acceptable.

No see that is just it, it still should not matter what someone says to your face, you can understand the emotional reaction, to being insulted, but unless you are being bullied and or oppressed, in the west, the adult thing to do is leave it at words and or walk away. 
Sure, if someone is getting all worked up with me I leave them to it. I almost never get angry, unless someone is actively doing harm.

It's weird trying to figure out "how" people are talking on the forum. My posts should (hopefully) be interpreted in a calm voice, that is how they are intended. Sometimes I feel people are talking calmly on here, sometimes I'm imagining them frothing at the mouth and yelling. But I can never be sure.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I get in the moment when someone is getting physical and you have no choice because you are defending yourself. Having been bullied, I actually get more pissed sometimes at the left and their good intent. It really is as simple as accepting the imperfect world we live in. If I got to arrest or beat up or murder every single person who called me a name in my life, well, that would be a lot of dead bodies. But no, having been bullied, I grew up and now understand there is a huge difference between captive and getting offended. In the real world, when you are out of school there is just no pragmatic way to force others never to offend you. You make the request, you respond back with your own voice, or you walk away. That is what adults should do.
Same here, I got bullied relentlessly all the way through school.

Index of my best videos
Let's just say that some members say stuff here that would get them killed if they walked in the wrong neighborhood, like say Compton.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
[Image: internet-tough-guy.jpg]
A dipshit and his lackey tried to bully me once. I beat the fuck out of the lackey on the school bus.

The dipshit had failed several grades and was much larger than me. I got a couple of buddies and we beat that motherfucker unconscious, literally. I never had a problem with either of them after that.

I've never been a bully but I've never been a pussy that tolerates them either.

I never say anything online that I wouldn't say to someone's face. It's too easy for someone to trace your ip, track you down, and kill you.

If you think you live in a world where you can say anything to anybody you better have a fortified place to live and a security team to guard you.
(April 6, 2015 at 7:10 am)Brian37 Wrote: This OP/ED IS NOT aimed at anyone here on this board, this is in response to something I have seen all my life and it pisses me off way more than getting pissed off. "You wouldn't say that to my face" or "I'll kick your ass" in response to an insult. Is when you are an adult schoolyard bullshit.

Ok let me flat out say that line is not a label thing, it is not owned by atheists, Christians, Muslims, Jews ect ect ect. It is unfortunately a stupid fucking line that should be left back at the schoolyard. 

As much as I blaspheme and cuss I really do get sick, even when atheist pull that crap, of thinking because someone offended you have the right to respond back with a threat. NO YOU DO NOT, respond back yes, but if you are not in high school or grade school, you don't use childish responses like that. 

I was bullied as a kid, and of course as an adult I still get called names even from other atheists. But I never respond with "I'm going to kick your ass". No, you get in my face, I either respond with a "fuck you", or I simply ignore you. I DO understand no one likes to get picked on. But that does not entitle anyone to respond to getting picked on to making threats or implying threats.

Part of the civil west is getting offended, and the other part of that is also the common law of not making threats or responding to getting offended with threats. 

Honestly, I've seen people type shit online they wouldn't say to anyone's face. No one in their right mind would call my son a "bastard" to my face, yet it's happened online.

It's not about me being Billy Badass with A Stick when I reply, "That's something you'd never say to my face" -- it's pointing out the essential cowardice of someone who'd gladhand me in real life as he shitposts about my boy.

Me, I say carry yourself online as you do in life.  And yes, that means that I am sometimes an asshole. It also means I don't take shit from folks. Don't like it? Call your therapist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ok computer techs, what say you? Brian37 82 6418 October 7, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Do you say anything to anti maskers in public? Brian37 37 2274 January 6, 2021 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Environmental charities, what say you? Brian37 11 886 December 21, 2020 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: no one
  Smile when you say that.... onlinebiker 12 1061 April 11, 2020 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  It’s Christmas so say something nice The Valkyrie 16 1716 December 19, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: no one
  Dumb things people say Lemon Curry 17 1526 April 21, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you see something, say something Foxaèr 24 2162 February 1, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Take It, Or leave it, I can still say Voulez Vous Brian37 7 1091 November 29, 2018 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: adey67
  Say Farewell To An American Icon Minimalist 33 2258 October 16, 2018 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Schwa
  Say the nicest thing about the user above. Mystic 26 1840 October 7, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda