Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many People Would Have To Die?
How Many People Would Have To Die?
Quote:The angel swung his sickle over the earth and gathered the vintage of the earth, and he threw it into the great wine press of the wrath of God. And the wine press was trodden outside the city, and blood flowed from the wine press, as high as a horse's bridle, for a distance of about two hundred miles. (NRSV 14:18-20

This is from Revelation. How many people would have to die for there to be so much blood?
RE: How Many People Would Have To Die?
Let's do a "napkin calculation." This can get us in the right range, give or take an order of magnitude.

Each human has, what, 6 liters or so of blood? Let's say this is 1 cubic foot (guessing based on the size of 2-liter and gallon bottles).

Let's say the flow of blood is like a stream (that is, bound on the edges), because if we just have a 200-mile-wide ocean of blood, we're all screwed (see, e.g., Blood Ocean, starring Dethklok). We'll call a horse's bridle 4 feet off the ground, and we'll say our stream is as high as it is deep. A weird stream, but, mysterious ways, right? We're just trying to simplify the calculations.

So, 1 foot of stream is going to be 4 feet wide and 4 feet high, meaning 16 cubic feet of blood. That's 16 people. Since there are 5,280 feet in a mile, we get about 84,000 people for one mile of stream (assuming everyone's completely exsanguinated, which seems very difficult to accomplish). 200 miles of stream equals, well... 16.4 million people, a little under the population of the Netherlands. This is, of course, for a tiny, odd, square-shaped stream.

If we figure the flow is more natural - that is, maybe, 4 feet high in the middle and 20 feet wide, tapering off to the edges, well, that multiplies things by 2.5, putting us up around 41 million. That's, roughly, Ukraine.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
The average human has "only" 5 liters of blood. Still, great calculations. I was just going to say "all of them". Tongue
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
I'd think if anyone has a press capable of total exsanguination, it would be God.

It's not like he would be stuck with the Chinese knockoff brand at WalMart . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 6, 2015 at 10:18 am)TRJF Wrote: Let's do a "napkin calculation." This can get us in the right range, give or take an order of magnitude.

Each human has, what, 6 liters or so of blood? Let's say this is 1 cubic foot (guessing based on the size of 2-liter and gallon bottles).

Let's say the flow of blood is like a stream (that is, bound on the edges), because if we just have a 200-mile-wide ocean of blood, we're all screwed (see, e.g., Blood Ocean, starring Dethklok).  We'll call a horse's bridle 4 feet off the ground, and we'll say our stream is as high as it is deep. A weird stream, but, mysterious ways, right? We're just trying to simplify the calculations.

So, 1 foot of stream is going to be 4 feet wide and 4 feet high, meaning 16 cubic feet of blood. That's 16 people.  Since there are 5,280 feet in a mile, we get about 84,000 people for one mile of stream (assuming everyone's completely exsanguinated, which seems very difficult to accomplish). 200 miles of stream equals, well... 16.4 million people, a little under the population of the Netherlands.  This is, of course, for a tiny, odd, square-shaped stream.

If we figure the flow is more natural - that is, maybe, 4 feet high in the middle and 20 feet wide, tapering off to the edges, well, that multiplies things by 2.5, putting us up around 41 million.  That's, roughly, Ukraine.

. 41 million. Damn. 

Some of my Christian friends get very giddy over the idea that Jesus will return. When I ask them about the suffering that Jesus' return is supposed to cause their answer is basically, as long as they are among the winners, to hell with the losers

For a so called peaceful religion, Christianity really likes images with blood and suffering.

(April 6, 2015 at 10:23 am)vorlon13 Wrote: I'd think if anyone has a press capable of total exsanguination, it would be God.

It's not like he would be stuck with the Chinese knockoff brand at WalMart . . . .

Yes, he wouldn't want the press to break half way through the process.  He has got to go with the angel made blood press. Afterwards, Jesus can turn all that blood into wine and they can party.

I am imagining a meme with a picture of angels building the ultimate press for god but I don't know what the caption would be.
TRJF Wrote:Each human has, what, 6 liters or so of blood? Let's say this is 1 cubic foot (guessing based on the size of 2-liter and gallon bottles).

Better guess-

6 liter =  0.212 ft^3

I think you have to multiply the number of people by about 5.
Say, 200 million?

Edited for further absurdity:
http://everything2.com/title/Tigris

Quote:In contrast, at the city of Amara, the Tigris is only 600 feet wide and the depth varies anywhere between 6 ½ to 13 feet. It is also at Amara where the marshlands drain off a lot of the river and it narrows to a width of only 200 or so feet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigris

Quote:Discharge

for Baghdad
 - average
1,014 m3/s (35,809 cu ft/s)

So, using the Tigris as the example of river width, say 450ft,  going from zero ft to 4 ft back to zero ft or an area of 4x300=1200 ft^2 and 200mi long for a volume of 3.6*10^10 liters representing 6 billion people.
Flowing at 20 mi/hr.
One heck of a wine press to keep this going.
At least there'd still be a billion people left. Tongue
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(April 6, 2015 at 10:46 am)JuliaL Wrote:
TRJF Wrote:Each human has, what, 6 liters or so of blood? Let's say this is 1 cubic foot (guessing based on the size of 2-liter and gallon bottles).

Better guess-

6 liter =  0.212 ft^3

I think you have to multiply the number of people by about 5.
Say, 200 million?

Ooh, yeah, I was a little off there.

Of course, the point of the calculation is to give an idea of whether we're looking at god exterminating a town, a country, a continent, a planet, or a galaxy.  The upshot is that it's at least in the large country range, and as we keep refining our inputs, god keep needing a bigger and bigger country to squeeze the blood out of.

Um . . .

uh . . . .

(paraphrasing James T. Kirk)

What does God need with a wine press ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Ooh yeah, they just didn't think this stuff through did they.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Wait... I just thought of something...

When Revelation was written, there were about 180 million humans alive, but the amount of blood described calls for between 200 million and 6 billion humans.

IRREFUTABLE PROOF OF DIVINE FOREKNOWLEDGE.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 563 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1323 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
  Kenya cult deaths: Four die after suspected starvation plot zebo-the-fat 0 539 April 14, 2023 at 11:15 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5134 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Genesis interpretations - how many are there? Fake Messiah 129 17121 January 22, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: donlor
  Would They Die for a Lie? YahwehIsTheWay 95 12669 December 27, 2018 at 11:10 pm
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5417 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many? KevinM1 307 29468 February 14, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Why would this be so hard to have done? Astonished 25 8389 July 1, 2017 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Christian Teacher writes letter to school newspaper saying "Gays deserve to die" Divinity 68 18588 May 23, 2017 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus