Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Observations On Atheism Part I - Beliefs
Observations On Atheism Part I - Beliefs
As some of you may very well know, I am not an admirer of organized religion due to its potential to be abused and manipulated. No religion has ever remained true even to itself and I don't believe one ever will. I would like to see all organized religion dissolved into nothing more than a bad memory. Though I do try and respect others rights to believe whatever they wish, I have a problem when it comes to enforcing those beliefs on others. You can't make someone believe something. You can't convert anyone else, that is up to them.

When I compare Xian message boards I have participated in with Atheist message boards I have participated in the Xian boards are generally more intolerant than Atheist message boards, though not by much. They tend to differ in this regard in their method.

Xian message boards have a tendency to create the illusion that any opposing dogma will corrupt or stumble some Xians - newly interested ones or those weak in the faith. I think this is pure nonsense and they are really only afraid of someone exposing their own false teachings. I have noticed that it is primarily those who can provide thoughtful and accurate criticism that are quickly removed from the discussion. A remarkably transparent reason is often given. A dishonest and cowardly display, without a doubt.

The Atheist boards tend to allow opposing viewpoints, but rather then removal of those who would disagree they tend to mock, belittle and insult. They tend to only remove anyone if they return the mockery and insult as if they hold the believer on a higher level once breached is a sign of dishonesty. They are more confident of their beliefs than the Xian, but seem less focused or knowledgeable of their own beliefs. Typically the Xian board will have a particular denomination and the Atheist boards don’t have that sort of cohesiveness.

Younger Atheists tend to enjoy discussing interests that are similar among themselves, as if perhaps Atheism is new to them and they are exploring the surface. They want very little to discuss the Bible, either mockingly or in the form of a serious criticism. Older Atheist differ in that they tend to want that sort of discussion, mockingly and seriously criticizing the Bible. Older Atheist are also markedly more political, though there is some of that in the younger Atheists as well beginning to formulate.

I think that the main difference between the average Xian and the average Atheist is the notion of a freedom of belief. The Xian and the Atheist both would like to see a time and place where their beliefs are predominant, but the Xian sees that time and place as being completely without atheism. The Atheist is far more tolerant once you get past all of the open hostility and mockery.
RE: Observations On Atheism Part I - Beliefs
(November 20, 2008 at 8:53 pm)Daystar Wrote: The Atheist is far more tolerant once you get past all of the open hostility and mockery.

You're practically begging for more, aren't you? Tongue
Atheism as a Religion
-------------------
A man also or woman that hath a Macintosh, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with used and abandoned Windows 3.1 floppy disks: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27
(November 20, 2008 at 10:24 pm)Jason Jarred Wrote:
(November 20, 2008 at 8:53 pm)Daystar Wrote: The Atheist is far more tolerant once you get past all of the open hostility and mockery.

Wait till I get to the emotional part.
(November 20, 2008 at 11:22 pm)Daystar Wrote:

Is that the bit where you cry?
Atheism as a Religion
-------------------
A man also or woman that hath a Macintosh, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with used and abandoned Windows 3.1 floppy disks: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27
(November 20, 2008 at 11:30 pm)Jason Jarred Wrote:
(November 20, 2008 at 11:22 pm)Daystar Wrote:

Is that the bit where you cry?

Thats the bit where we cry together.
<sob>
Such a ... buddy....
<sob>
Atheism as a Religion
-------------------
I only get emotional after my third bottle of whiskey. Smile
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Cool post, Daystar. I find for sure that the xian boards seem to be more dogmatic, in that they are often forums of a single belief set, whereas the atheist ones seem to contain more diverse ideas.

Am I in the young atheist grouping or the older atheist grouping?
(November 21, 2008 at 5:22 pm)lukec Wrote: Cool post, Daystar. I find for sure that the xian boards seem to be more dogmatic, in that they are often forums of a single belief set, whereas the atheist ones seem to contain more diverse ideas.

Am I in the young atheist grouping or the older atheist grouping?

I don't know, I haven't known you long enough to tell. Actually, I think that most of the Atheists I have had discussions with were my age or older. The younger ones - for example most everyone on this board - seem to be more mild mannered than I am accustomed to and based upon that I would hazard a guess that you were of the younger.
I completely agree, your observations are spot-on.

It's also worth noting that a lot of young atheists use faulty logic, or regurgitated talking points. I'm guilty of this to an extent, but just as your average Christian Crusader can be found falling back on specific Bible quotes or talking points, they can also present some really good philosophical points.

I personally am interested in scripture, but I really don't like debating it. I'd rather debate the philosophies and logic behind a position that the specifics.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There are no "isms" just beliefs and positions. Brian37 14 1203 September 1, 2021 at 5:19 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15629 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 11: The Holy Spirit Cepheus Ace 18 2985 June 22, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7046 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3504 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25946 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Best part of atheism for you Alexmahone 43 6368 January 9, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27115 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4476 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism the unscientific belief (part one, two, and three) Little Rik 3049 361625 April 11, 2016 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Little Rik