Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 6:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed: Become an HOA board member?
Advice needed: Become an HOA board member?
The president of my HOA recently sold his unit and retired as president.  Yesterday one of the other board members emailed me and offered me a position on the board now that there's an opening.

I have concerns about accepting the offer, among them being:

(1) I'm a new owner, not only in the complex, but just simply a new homeowner.  I'm days away from my 1-year anniversary as a homeowner.

(2) This is my first experience with an HOA.  Ever.  I grew up in a neighborhood that didn't have one.

(3) I'm not sure I'm qualified to advise people when I'm still finding my feet as a homeowner.

One of the reasons I was given for being offered the position (other than the ass-kissy ones) was that the board is invested in keeping another owner off the board because she's a known spender and her previous time as a board member/president led to dues repeatedly being raised.

Does anyone have experience with being on HOA boards before?  What would I be getting into?

All I know right now is how much of a pain in the ass I've probably been for the board just in my first year in my place, I have no idea about how much other shit I'd have to start dealing with as a board member.

Advice?

Anyone?
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
RE: Advice needed: Become an HOA board member?
Okay, I am not an HOA board member.  But I have a relative who is.  He is a lawyer, and for him, it is a great thing, since he knows how to work systems in accordance with the rules (he is a very capable lawyer).  He can also keep them from making terrible legal mistakes that can cost a lot of money.

So, I would say it depends on your particular skill set, what sorts of issues and personalities you are likely to deal with if you sign up, and what will happen if someone else takes the position instead.

Not overly helpful, perhaps, but really a lot depends on the sort of person you are, and what sorts of things bother you, and what sorts of things you are good at doing.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I'm not a board member, but I am an HOA member (never again). It seems to me that the HOA governing body simply looks for the fastest way to burn through a budget to justify the next increase. Our dues have doubled in the 10 years we've been in the HOA but our benefits have been halved.

Yeah, put me in the HOAs are evil camp.

My advice: Stay far, far away from the governing body, no matter your intentions. You will wind up hated by a majority of your peers because you didn't agree with their pet peeve or axe grinding.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I was vice president last year of My HOA and may get President this coming year if I decide to run.

I strongly advise you to become a board member as not getting a voice is ALWAYS worse than getting a voice.

I'd advise that you read a condensed version of Roget's rules and order. You have a great analytical mind and would be a great asset to the HOA.

That's my advice!
Find the cure for Fundementia!
I regard HOAs as a cross between a church and the republicunt party.  IOW, something to be avoided.
(April 7, 2015 at 5:05 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: I'm not a board member, but I am an HOA member (never again). It seems to me that the HOA governing body simply looks for the fastest way to burn through a budget to justify the next increase.

That doesn't seem to be the case with my HOA - unless the other woman makes it back onto the board.  The couple other board members I know and have dealt with are either committed to keeping HOA fees down, or are just stingy with the money we have.

(April 9, 2015 at 3:11 pm)Brakeman Wrote: I was vice president last year of My HOA and may get President this coming year if I decide to run.

I strongly advise you to become a board member as not getting a voice is ALWAYS worse than getting a voice.

I'd advise that you read a condensed version of Roget's rules and order. You have a great analytical mind and would be a great asset to the HOA.

That's my advice!

Good points.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. (Everyone) Smile
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Is it a new association or an older one. New ones aren't as bad because the board members haven't figured out how to stick it to the owners yet. Older ones... Yeah.

Does your board appoint new members or get an HOA general vote? Not that there's a lot of difference, but general votes tend to reduce (at least a little) the clique/popular members...
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
No shortage of horror stories regarding HOAs and Condo Associations.

One bad board member and/or one bad decision can take a huge bite out of the equity of your residence or cost you substantially in monthly dues and fees.

Not to be a scold, but your 'questioning period' should have been before buying into anything with an HOA.  You've made your bed.

Assuming your association is populated with 'average' Americans, realize then (and George Carlin agrees) half of your neighbors are going to be below average in smarts, $$$, knowledge of their own enlightened best interests, etc.

IMO, you don't have a choice, get on the board and prevent the rest of the potential 'tards in the association from destroying your equity.

(I had to sit in on a few city council meetings a while back for a municipality I was working for, I was aghast when one councilperson asked what I thought was a great question, and suddenly, the city attorney jumped up and advised the rest of the council of their 5th amendment rights regarding self incrimination.

And then everyone just sat there, deer in the headlight stares from the assembled morons . . . .

Undecided
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member Commentary on announcements and staff logs thread The Valkyrie 139 10596 July 6, 2022 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  AF member map brewer 17 1102 July 18, 2021 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Major calendar reform needed. Gawdzilla Sama 5 805 January 9, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Become indistinguishable from a gangster Foxaèr 9 334 August 25, 2020 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Forum add-ons that are needed. Gawdzilla Sama 33 1430 August 15, 2020 at 6:27 pm
  Advice about patience Macoleco 4 560 March 26, 2020 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What happened to member awards 2019? Cod 21 3101 July 13, 2019 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
Music The best advice someone gave you. onlinebiker 65 6312 April 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The WORST Advice Someone Ever Gave You BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1106 April 14, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Will we, Can we, ever become martians? ignoramus 36 1864 February 18, 2019 at 8:50 pm