Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism Ireland denounces hateful bigot PZ Myers
Atheism Ireland denounces hateful bigot PZ Myers
...Some of this shit PZ Myers has said is pretty despicable and vile.

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2015/04/07/...-pz-myers/

I'm all for mocking religion but what PZ Myers has said crossed the line.
RE: Atheism Ireland denounces hateful bigot PZ Myers
I've said it elsewhere, I still think his heart is in the right place, but he gets so angry against everyone lately that it's unhealthy. I hope he gets his shit together and calms down before he dies of a heart attack, which he's in danger to anyway. I've commented on his blog comments section in past years, but don't go there anymore because of the restrictive arrogant atmosphere and in fighting. It was a really cool place a few years ago.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 9, 2015 at 5:20 pm)Alex K Wrote: I've said it elsewhere, I still think his heart is in the right place, but he gets so angry against everyone lately that it's unhealthy. I hope he gets his shit together and calms down before he dies of a heart attack, which he's in danger to anyway. I've commented on his blog comments section in past years, but don't go there anymore because of the restrictive arrogant atmosphere and in fighting. It was a really cool place a few years ago.

I think he went downhill once the Atheism Plus cult started. He was pretty vocal in it but the behavior displayed there by him and others was akin to angry religious cults --- since A + began and ultimately collapsed, he has begun to display really vile behavior.

Recently he had been attacking Ayaan Hirsi Ali I believe and making a strawman for no reason. The dude is just asking for shit. Sad to see a grown man, especially one whom I so deeply respected act like a child. His arguments with religion are very good, but he veers into shit that doesn't make him look good.
Michael Nugent Wrote:He has encouraged his blog commenters to ‘rhetorically hand [critics] a rotting porcupine and tell you to stuff it up your nether orifice’. They in turn have told people to ‘put a three week old decaying porcupine dipped in tar and broken glass up your arse sideways’, to ‘fuck yourself sideways’ with a ‘rusty chainsaw’, ‘red-hot pokers’ or a ‘rusty coat hanger’.

While that was a phrase that was thrown around in the comments section there in the last decade, everyone there agreed at some point years ago that this kind of rape fantasy rhetoric was not compatible with the social ideals of the blog, and it was summarily dropped.

(April 9, 2015 at 5:25 pm)TheMessiah Wrote:
(April 9, 2015 at 5:20 pm)Alex K Wrote: I've said it elsewhere, I still think his heart is in the right place, but he gets so angry against everyone lately that it's unhealthy. I hope he gets his shit together and calms down before he dies of a heart attack, which he's in danger to anyway. I've commented on his blog comments section in past years, but don't go there anymore because of the restrictive arrogant atmosphere and in fighting. It was a really cool place a few years ago.

I think he went downhill once the Atheism Plus cult started. He was pretty vocal in it but the behavior displayed there by him and others was akin to angry religious cults --- since A + began and ultimately collapsed, he has begun to display really vile behavior.

I must say all I know about A+ was that Jen McCreight proposed it, I also remember that at some point she stopped blogging because she got so much hate mail. I have no clue where things went in the meantime.

Quote:Recently he had been attacking Ayaan Hirsi Ali I believe and making a strawman for no reason. The dude is just asking for shit. Sad to see a grown man, especially one whom I so deeply respected act like a child. His arguments with religion are very good, but he veers into shit that doesn't make him look good.

All I know is that she's been criticized for working for some conservative thinky tanky thingy and accused of war mongering because she's not against military intervention there.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Wow, now that is one angry man. Good for Atheist Ireland for distancing itself from this loon.
Calling Hitchens a club-carrying primitive...hah. You gotta be kidding me. Hitchens was one of the smartest and lucid humans of all time. He might have been a bit of an arsehole in some respects but he could debate pretty much anyone under the table and was an intellectual force of nature.
And his comments about Robin Williams are particularly virulent.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Myers is a sad caricature of his former self and is now a full fledged crank. He is someone that attained some notoriety, but has conferred upon himself a type of atheist beatification based solely on the fawning adulation provided by the sycophants he surrounds himself with.
Yeesh! I realize this article was a concentration of his worst behaviors, but what are his saving graces? I can't imagine someone like that garnering a sizable following. If someone showed up here with that attitude, they'd be banned for flaming pretty quick. What does he offer?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(April 9, 2015 at 5:38 pm)Exian Wrote: Yeesh! I realize this article was a concentration of his worst behaviors, but what are his saving graces? I can't imagine someone like that garnering a sizable following. If someone showed up here with that attitude, they'd be banned for flaming pretty quick. What does he offer?

PZ Myers gained a following because he didn't really say any of this shit before. He began strictly with Atheism, so he eventually gained a following. But as he got more popular, he began to spew hate and act like a loon. So he lost a lot of support, now official organisations are actively denouncing him for the bigot he is.

(April 9, 2015 at 5:35 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Wow, now that is one angry man. Good for Atheist Ireland for distancing itself from this loon.
Calling Hitchens a club-carrying primitive...hah. You gotta be kidding me. Hitchens was one of the smartest and lucid humans of all time. He might have been a bit of an arsehole in some respects but he could debate pretty much anyone under the table and was an intellectual force of nature.
And his comments about Robin Williams are particularly virulent.

Hitchens would have hitch-slapped PZ Myers so hard...Hitch was truly a heavyweight when it came to great Atheist thinkers
Was that said before or after Hitch died?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(April 9, 2015 at 5:49 pm)Exian Wrote: Was that said before or after Hitch died?

No fucking way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26869 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12377 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 11967 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10390 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 11961 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  being a hateful person xxxtobymac 33 13286 November 16, 2011 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Theocratic Ireland mrodub 7 2896 January 24, 2011 at 4:12 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Do you think I was being a bigot? darkwolf176 26 6398 April 10, 2010 at 8:25 am
Last Post: LEDO
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 37887 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack