Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You're Still An Asshole, Lady
You're Still An Asshole, Lady
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/anti-...ing-cough/

Quote:Anti-vaxx mom abandons movement — after all seven her of her kids get whooping cough

Quote:Now Hills says that years spent “frozen” out of fear of vaccinating her kids has the whole family frozen: confined to their home by a quarantine.

She said she hopes her mea culpa will make other families who have held back from getting their children vaccinated rethink what they are doing.
“Right now my family is living the consequences of misinformation and fear.  I understand that families in our community may be mad at us for putting their kids at risk.
RE: You're Still An Asshole, Lady
all. seven.

Jesus!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The saddest part is that it is legal to be a dumbass parent who puts one's children at risk.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
At least she has learned from her mistake.  Some people are so stupid that they don't learn from their mistakes.  So although she has been a fool, she is nowhere near being a top contender for the most foolish person ever.

But, of course, it would have been far better if she learned about the issue earlier so that she would not have unnecessarily endangered her children's lives, as well as endangering the lives of others (for those who need it, do a search for "herd immunity").

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
"Better late than never" doesn't cut it when it comes to kids.

That's the scariest thing about misinformation- not being aware of the concept of misinformation. Anti-vaxxers are idiots, but I wonder how many are just regular people being sold the misinformation without looking into it? Not trying to give them a pass, but I'm wondering if I dodged the bullet of becoming like them (less skeptical) by dumb luck alone.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Odds are the kids will grow up to be as stupid as their parents.
(April 10, 2015 at 7:35 pm)Sionnach Wrote: The saddest part is that it is legal to be a dumbass parent who puts one's children at risk.

I haven't made up my mind on the vaccination controversy.  I have been thinking about it.  One of my conclusion is this:  There can exist situations where the parents behave optimally by not vaccinating their kids.  Vaccinations do convey some risk to those that receive them.  Its small but it is real.  A diligent parent should consider this risk before allowing their children to be vaccinated.  Of course not vaccinating your children also carries some risk.  Your child can become infected with a serious disease that they probably would not have contracted had they been vaccinated for it.  A diligent parent should also consider this risk.

If the risk conveyed by receiving the vaccine is greater than the risk of contracting the disease, then the best decision is not to opt for the vaccine.  

Now there is a very real phenomena called herd immunity.  Basically if every other member of the herd is immune to a disease, its not very likely at all you will get that disease even if you are not immune.  Non immune members of the herd gain some protection by the other members being immune.

Sionnach you are right, the parent here is a dumbass.  She is a dumbass because she is being results orientated.  But you are also wrong to conclude that she was putting her own children at risk.  Her decision not vaccinate may have been the optimal decision for her children(optimal meaning it minimized risk).
(April 10, 2015 at 9:31 pm)Heywood Wrote: One of my conclusion is this:  There can exist situations where the parents behave optimally by not vaccinating their kids.  Vaccinations do convey some risk to those that receive them.  Its small but it is real.
I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you mean something like sever allergic reactions (in which case you might be right) and aren't implying that vaccines pose a meaningful risk to the general population.
Quote:Now there is a very real phenomena called herd immunity.  Basically if every other member of the herd is immune to a disease, its not very likely at all you will get that disease even if you are not immune.  Non immune members of the herd gain some protection by the other members being immune.
The problem is, not every other member of the herd is immune.
[Image: vaxx_rates_by_stateFC_CE2-01.png]
[Image: thresholds.jpg]

As you can see, some of the state vaccination rates are dangerously close to, or have already, dropped below the minimum required to maintain herd immunity from certain highly contagious diseases. Unless there is a serious medical reason that an individual should not be vaccinated, to forgo vaccination is not only stupid by socially irresponsible.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Darkstar, I think you are being overly generous in your "benefit of the doubt."

But you are quite right to emphasize the herd immunity aspect of this, as selfish assholes view this as an individual rights sort of thing, when what they do is something that very significantly affects others.  If you don't want to vaccinate, you need to fucking move to an island and never interact with others.  If you are a part of society, you need to not be endangering others.  Other people absolutely have a right to object to you endangering them.

Unfortunately, quite a few people with shit for brains have children, and make decisions that one would expect of people with shit for brains.  Vaccinations need to be required for everyone who does not have a legitimate medical exemption.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  titanic gawker submersible still missing. Anomalocaris 54 3058 August 2, 2023 at 7:13 am
Last Post: no one
  Still pinching myself over Kamala being VP. Brian37 43 2039 June 8, 2021 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Irreligious Atheist
  how many of you think this is still about Mr Floyd? Drich 194 14940 July 6, 2020 at 1:28 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The Lady Doth Protest Too Much, Methinks - Hysterical White Middle Class BLM Activism Duty 31 1907 July 1, 2020 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  News as surprising as another mass shooting: California ablaze again/still Whateverist 24 2449 November 18, 2018 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Asshole Can't Even Appoint The Right Judges Minimalist 11 1440 November 16, 2018 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  One Trump Loving Confederate Asshole Goes Down In Flames Minimalist 25 3047 November 8, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Racism is still strong down here Losty 15 1312 September 16, 2018 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I'm Sure The WLB Will Pardon This Asshole, Too Minimalist 0 367 August 30, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Stephen Colbert Rips Jeff Sessions a New Asshole Minimalist 78 7038 June 18, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd