Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crazies where I work
Crazies where I work
It is a health store.  It has everything for vegans and vegetarians and even those who want to eat pills for their daily diet or those who want to buff up on protein.

It is rather disheartening to imagine that people will pay so much money in trying to be healthy, when all it really takes is common sense.  So much money is being earned by this store thanks to the ignorance of others.

Do not completely misunderstand me.  Healthy eating is essential, but not to the degree that this store and its shoppers take it.

Gluten free has become a fad.  Everyone wants it, and they have no clue what it means.  A recent article was published stating the truth of the matter that gluten free is only beneficial to those with Celiac Disease.  Otherwise, gluten is perfectly natural and necessary for the body.  

But hey, I am making good money there.  What should I care how dumb the shoppers are?  If they can afford to spend nine dollars on a small collard green wrap then I am not complaining that I make more than that sandwich per hour.  
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Crazies where I work
It's easier to buy a pill than to exercise and eat properly.
Yep, people want all the answers without any of the work. I used to be one of those people. Creatine, Protein, ZMA, organic foods only. So stupid. I was still working my ass off, though.

And too much money. Now I just focus on portion size and high intensity, low resistance exercise. Stay away from processed foods (not always!) and get my nutrients from natural sources.

I don't need any herbs or worts or supplements. (Other than my fish oil.)
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I worked with a guy that wouldn't eat anything with eggs in it after his heart attack, the cholesterol you know.

He still went outdoors, every 30 minutes, freezing cold, spring rains or summer heat, and had a cigarette though.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

There is a woman at work who goes out with her group of 6-10 smokers for breaks. She puffs on an a vapor cigarette while surrounded by those smoking regular cigarettes. I am pretty sure she is 15 months pregnant.

Oh, and it's a medical company.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(April 10, 2015 at 9:47 pm)anjele Wrote:  I am pretty sure she is 15 months pregnant.

Impressive gestation going on there. Cool Shades
In Germany, I've also noticed that the many people are now either conviced that gluten is bad for your health, or at least have heard it from a friend. It's chic to have at least one dietary restriction, numbers of those who get told by their naturopath that they have gluten problems far exceeds the true number of celiacd. It lets me despair sometimes how mindless people are with these fads. I bought pure gluten for cooking in a health food store the other day and the lady at the counter and I were joking about what hazardous materials they sell.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Oh, for fuck sake. What is it with people wanting to be ignorant and not being the least bit interested in researching anything. It seems that they see a package marked "whatever"-free and simply assume that "whatever" must be bad. I wonder, if Kool-Aid started labeling their products "dihydrogen-oxide-free" if we would start hearing about the dangers of "dihydrogen-oxide" soon thereafter.

Gluten is protein:
Quote:Gluten is a general name for the proteins found in wheat (durum, emmer, spelt, farina, farro, KAMUT® khorasan wheat and einkorn), rye, barley and triticale.
Source

People are acting like it's some lab-created additive (MSG anyone) that they're better off without. They're wrong.

Quote:...Yet paradoxically, most of the people who reach for gluten-free products don’t have celiac disease and or even a sensitivity to wheat, Peter H.R. Green, MD, director of the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University, told WebMD. "The market for gluten-free products is exploding. Why exactly we don’t know. Many people may just perceive that a gluten-free diet is healthier."

In fact, it isn’t. For people with celiac disease, a gluten-free diet is essential. But for others, "unless people are very careful, a gluten-free diet can lack vitamins, minerals, and fiber," says Green.
Source

So, why are people freaking out over a naturally occurring, beneficial protein? Well, sites like this don't help: Link

Quote:Of course, it is far from being definitively proven that gluten causes harm in a large percentage of people and that most people would do best by avoiding it.

This area is in desperate need of some more research. However, the evidence that we DO have is pretty damning.

Until more research is done, I think the cautionary principle should apply… why eat something that is likely to cause harm, when you could eat something else instead that definitely won’t harm you?
(bullshit claims bolded by me)
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
+1 on eating fresh and unprocessed food. One of the best things I did to manage my everyday health and well-being.

The U.S. government has convinced people (without evidence) that salt is bad for them.  We are saltwater animals and require salt.  Our bodies process salt just fine.  What is a problem, is the chemicals in our foods.  We went from butter to margarine (fake butter) and now we have fake margarine.

Between the bleaching, processing and chemicalization of all our foodstuffs, it is a wonder that we could survive on real food at all.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nobody wants to work anymore Foxaèr 92 5792 October 29, 2021 at 11:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can't get the link to work here but. Brian37 21 1233 July 29, 2021 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: no one
  Any photographers in Louisiana looking for work? popeyespappy 0 525 September 21, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Why Did Dante Title His Work The Divine Comedy? Rhondazvous 10 3165 August 30, 2017 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Work From Home Water Cooler Thread Shell B 43 4304 July 24, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  How do hashtags work? Foxaèr 6 1646 June 17, 2017 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why are there more crazies these days? ignoramus 24 6941 June 1, 2017 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Acquaintances that want your work for free J a c k 35 3818 March 11, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Bored at work Expired 7 1580 November 16, 2016 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Expired
  Struggling at work. Foxaèr 5 1244 August 19, 2016 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Joods