Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could America's Republicans learn from UK Conservatives?
Could America's Republicans learn from UK Conservatives?
In the UK, the Conservatives are not crazy religious nut-jobs. They legalized gay-marriage (with David Cameron, the Prime Minister pushing for it to be done) whereas the Left Wing Labour Government never went far enough it despite having 13 years to do so. 

They don't annoyingly shove Christianity into people's faces; most UK Conservatives are fine with abortion and the Conservatives in the UK have helped revive the economy after the Left Wing Labour Government destroyed it and plunged it into a recession.

Bill Maher did a funny video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMkerqSnjVU
RE: Could America's Republicans learn from UK Conservatives?
One thing to notice:

The US never went trough the middle ages and never knew monarchy and other related systems - The US is purely founded on classical liberalism and because of that it's the only thing they ever knew and it's how they live - Conservatives all around the world are different depending on what is considered tradition and what your ancestors did. Conservatives in Britain are naturally pro-monarchy (or reformists at the most) pro-hierarchy, pro-capitalism and pro-mixed economy - I believe conservatives in Britain and in Europe are a better model than American conservatives but curiously our conservatives aren't so focused on individual freedom - In fact many propose a mixed economy and some are authoritarian. Conservatives in America base themselves on liberalism and will naturally be pro individual rights, pro-what-the-founding-fathers-allegedly-wanted, pro-2nd amendment etc. It's funny to see David Cameron distanced himself from god ROFLOL

I've always wondered why is it that America that supposedly separated very clearly and explicitly the church from state (and repudiated monarchies and other similar institutions affiliated with theology and religion) and is much more religion than States like Britan where the Queen is the head of England or Sweden etc
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

To answer the OP, I don't think today's republicunts are capable of learning anything.  The very concept of learning is anathema to them.

As Ingersoll said of ministers:  "They did not know much, but they believed a great deal."

Such with today's GOP.
Those UK conservatives are probably quite similar to the Democrats we have in the States.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(April 12, 2015 at 4:58 pm)Dystopia Wrote: I've always wondered why is it that America that supposedly separated very clearly and explicitly the church from state (and repudiated monarchies and other similar institutions affiliated with theology and religion) and is much more religion than States like Britan where the Queen is the head of England or Sweden etc

I've wondered the same thing myself. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that in the United States, we have never had a religious war? 
It's a recent development.  The Moral Majority horseshit was started by that noted jesus freak scumbag, Jerry Falwell in the late 70's.

Barry Goldwater noted:

Quote:“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

Barry M. Goldwater

Got to hand it to Barry.  He called it.
(April 12, 2015 at 5:41 pm)Nope Wrote:
(April 12, 2015 at 4:58 pm)Dystopia Wrote: I've always wondered why is it that America that supposedly separated very clearly and explicitly the church from state (and repudiated monarchies and other similar institutions affiliated with theology and religion) and is much more religion than States like Britan where the Queen is the head of England or Sweden etc

I've wondered the same thing myself. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that in the United States, we have never had a religious war? 

Maybe the French Revolution had a part as well.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(April 12, 2015 at 5:41 pm)Nope Wrote:

Add 'big' to your post and you'll be fine.

[*]1838 Mormon War (aka Missouri Mormon War), a conflict in 1838 between Latter Day Saints and their neighbors in northwestern Missouri
[*]Illinois Mormon War, a conflict in 1844–1846 between Latter Day Saints and their neighbors in western Illinois
[*]Utah War, a conflict in 1857–1858 between Latter Day Saints in Utah Territory and the United States federal government
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

* (always the fucking mormons, huh?)
You have to remember that most of the upper echelon of the Republican Party aren't conservatives, they are neo-cons, made up of largely disenfranchised Southern Democrats who left the Democratic Party under Nixon's Southern Strategy.  They are religious fundamentalist liberals at heart, they don't follow any of the classic markers of conservatism:  fiscal responsibility, personal responsibility, small government and keeping the government out of the business of the people.  In most regards, the Republicans have far more in common with the liberals than they do with the conservatives.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which nonpolitician could be president? Fake Messiah 8 873 January 16, 2023 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Ukrainians dont want to learn Russian language Interaktive 2 294 July 31, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Interaktive
  At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? TaraJo 41 3824 July 16, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Are conservatives in this country trying to turn 'Murica into Nazi Germany? Foxaèr 11 1417 May 6, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 7341 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 7330 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Texas Law could circumvent Roe V. Wade Cecelia 55 4139 September 29, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Do conservatives believe the shit on Fox News? Spongebob 119 8573 August 31, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Asshole conservatives. Jehanne 3 392 July 11, 2021 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3040 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one