Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long term Nihilists
Long term Nihilists
I know that most people on here don't consider themselves nihilists, but often times they reference things that matter to them or someone in the short term. I wonder if you stretch out the time scale to a point where humanity will certainly become extinct, if all the Atheists here become Nihilists regarding the long term?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Long term Nihilists
You're defining "Nihilists" as?
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
Just the belief that nothing really matters or has any sort of value.

I'll go with this, which is from wikipedia.

Quote: Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
We'll cut off your Johnson, Lebowski. We'll stomp on it and squish it.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I see many potential futures for our species.
I can see us becoming more united and less warlike, eventually developing our technology to the point where we can start to colonise the solar system and perhaps beyond, thus ensuring our effective immortality.
I see us succumbing to the less desirable aspects of our psyche and wiping ourselves out, taking most of the life on earth with us via nuclear hellfire.
I see us learning to live with the earth and respecting it as our only home, dramatically reducing the harmful effects we have long since inflicted on it.

We are all one tiny link in one vast, unbroken chain. Perhaps that chain will go on for eternity, and our long-distant ancestors will explore the stars and befriend other species on other worlds. Perhaps we will one day die out, and an entirely new chain will emerge, on this world or another.

'Meaning', 'purpose', 'value'...these are all words created by societies grappling with questions that may in the end be irrelevant. As long as the torch is passed down, generation to generation, each one improving on the work of the last, our lives will ultimately not matter in the long term. Our legacies, however, most certainly will.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
I think I would give you that. The only thing that keeps me from thinking in nihilistic terms is that I have trouble connecting the long term with the short term. Hell, I can't even see the rest of humanities existence affecting my life, unless it all ends within my life time. But I can't deny that everything I do won't matter to whatever's at the end.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
If nothing matters, the long term doesn't matter.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
Would this count as non-nihilist?

I've been wanting to kill myself for about 8 years. The only reason I haven't is because of how it will affect other people/animals.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 12, 2015 at 11:13 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
Quote:Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.

I would agree that in the long term nothing will matter, but while we have our lives we have our own purposes that have value to each of us. 
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
If life doesn't matter in the long term then it doesn't really matter in the short term either. Even proximate meaning without a foundation is no meaning at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Nihilists here? FrustratedFool 351 10346 August 30, 2023 at 7:15 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  (LONG) "I Don't Know" as a Good Answer in Ethics vulcanlogician 69 8401 November 27, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  A good argument for God's existence (long but worth it) Mystic 179 32477 October 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Very short version of the long argument. Mystic 68 10504 September 18, 2017 at 9:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Question How does one respond to this argument?It's long but an interesting read. Thanks :) fruyian 44 6857 May 19, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Are Married Men "Husbands?" How About a New Term for a New Relationship? Rhondazvous 60 8847 July 2, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  Science: A Religion? (long post) ManMachine 42 5912 September 15, 2014 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Chas