Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A good major or not??
Wink 
A good major or not??
Hey guys,
Im new to this community so i hope to get along well with you all Big Grin. So my question is about the effectiveness of astrophysics as a major or career.
Im in high school so im hoping to get started now and pursue what i want or infact what i need to do. So people who are experienced in this topic can you please assist me? Oh and dont worry about not being open, be as open as you want, im looking at several areas for answers. So aid me please Big Grin!!
RE: A good major or not??
I have learned from 30+ years in the work force "do what you love, and you will never work a day in your life"  (see Parkers Tan's office thread)

I wish I would have learned this earlier in life.  I don't make much money now but would not change what I do for any amount of money.

If you love this field of study go for it!

Oh and Welcome!
A career should be a hobby that you get paid for. If you enjoy astronomy and cosmology, by all means pursue it. The market for astronomers or physics majors in general is not good. But that doesn't stop me from pursuing what I love to do. If you already have a passion for astronomy, then your chances of succeeding in it are already high.
I am both in IT and Gram programming and design. I love both
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Hello Nish, welcome Smile

Sorry I don't know much about getting a job with that major, but I agree with the guys that doing what you love is a big thing.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
See, I'm in the other camp. A job should be something you can stomach doing 40+ hours/week. The things you love should be kept as hobbies. I've found that no matter how much you love something, when you have to do it, that sucks the joy out of it.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
It is not a bad choice for finding "ordinary" work afterwards. I'd say make sure that you acquire very good coding skills during your studies if you don't have them already. Companies will hire you for that, your well-trained analytical skills, and your high frustration tolerance. And should you decide to pursue a phd in the field or a related one afterwards, it's a quite exciting one.

Btw do you have to choose astrophysics from the start or isn't it just physics in the beginning and then you specialize?

I myself am in theoretical high energy physics, and the job market outside academia is decent. I can only assume that the situation is similar in the US. Where do you plan to go?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

When you love something, making it a career sometimes can be quite frustrating because in most cases you won't get the creative freedom that you'd expect from a hobby. Besides, real life is pretty unforgiving, so don't focus on a single carrier path. I don't know much about you, like where you are from, your qualifications or your preferences, but since this is the time when you do need to make a choice, I suggest visiting some career-counsellors as early as possible.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Nishravi98,

can you tell us a bit more about your preferences, why you would want to do this major, what subjects you are good at in school etc?

(April 14, 2015 at 3:58 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: When you love something, making it a career sometimes can be quite frustrating because in most cases you won't get the creative freedom that you'd expect from a hobby. Besides, real life is pretty unforgiving, so don't focus on a single carrier path.
What do you mean by that? I mean, if you decide to go to college, you kinda have to choose a major and then do the work... being noncommittal doesn't really cut it.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Very soon, software and robots are going to be doing most of the jobs humans do now.  In your lifetime you will see this come to pass.  When that happens humans will be freed up to do the things they love and machines will do the work necessary for our lavish existence.  My advice, you might as well study the things you love because that is what you will very likely spend your life doing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Major calendar reform needed. Gawdzilla Sama 5 780 January 9, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What are the major challenges faced by the students of present generation? Jennie M. Marble 9 816 May 19, 2018 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the major qualities you like in a person and in what order? Edwardo Piet 31 5389 April 28, 2018 at 12:23 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Good night good luck from dyresand 0 987 May 24, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Help me decide on a major AtheistCreed 49 8635 September 25, 2013 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: AtheistCreed
  U.S. Postal Service Planning Major Cuts Handprint 20 4445 December 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Justtristo