Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In Christianity, blind faith is good faith
In Christianity, blind faith is good faith
Lots of Christians i met say that their belief is based not on blind faith, which is not what God wants. God wants a reasonable faith based on your life experience. They are wrong.
Jesus himself said to the Apostle that wouldn't believe in his resurrection for lack of evidence (see where im going with this ? Big Grin ) that "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

Blind faith is what Jesus thinks is the good kind of faith. How sad is that ?
RE: In Christianity, blind faith is good faith
(March 30, 2010 at 11:01 am)Rwandrall Wrote: Lots of Christians i met say that their belief is based not on blind faith, which is not what God wants. God wants a reasonable faith based on your life experience. They are wrong.
Jesus himself said to the Apostle that wouldn't believe in his resurrection for lack of evidence (see where im going with this ? Big Grin ) that "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

You need to phrase yourself a bit better.

Having a busted understanding of the topic doesn't make them wrong. there are many inconsistencies with biblical doctrine and Jesus' teachings and actions, as they were portrayed in the Bible, but what you listed isn't exactly a very strong case.

What I can add to your assertion is that Christians that I've talked to don't NEED evidence for their beliefs, they believe what they believe and that's that. It's frustrating as hell, but some people don't care if what they believe is actually what's going on.
(March 30, 2010 at 11:29 am)tavarish Wrote:
(March 30, 2010 at 11:01 am)Rwandrall Wrote: Lots of Christians i met say that their belief is based not on blind faith, which is not what God wants. God wants a reasonable faith based on your life experience. They are wrong.

Having a busted understanding of the topic doesn't make them wrong. there are many inconsistencies with biblical doctrine and Jesus' teachings and actions, as they were portrayed in the Bible, but what you listed isn't exactly a very strong case.

What I can add to your assertion is that Christians that I've talked to don't NEED evidence for their beliefs, they believe what they believe and that's that. It's frustrating as hell, but some people don't care if what they believe is actually what's going on.

I was a catholic for most of my youth, and this particular line has been told to me in church over and over again, especially around Easter (resurrection and all...). I was under the understanding that this was established as part of Jesus' teachings.

And also, see that it doesnt say blind faith and reasoned faith are two acceptable conceptions. The blind follower is "blessed". To me thats pretty clear
(March 30, 2010 at 11:37 am)Rwandrall Wrote:
(March 30, 2010 at 11:29 am)tavarish Wrote:

I was a catholic for most of my youth, and this particular line has been told to me in church over and over again, especially around Easter (resurrection and all...). I was under the understanding that this was established as part of Jesus' teachings.

And also, see that it doesnt say blind faith and reasoned faith are two acceptable conceptions. The blind follower is "blessed". To me thats pretty clear

The teaching of not to question your religion or beliefs resonates throughout the community. it's a damn shame.
only in some communities tav.

In response to the OP I hvne't seen Jesus, yet I believe, therefore I'm blessed. That was one man speaking to one man i a time where they were both alive. I don't have to see Jesus to have reasonable faith. It could have just as easily been a reference to anyone that believed after Jesus had transcended and can't see him. Otherwise the onlyblessed people would be the one's who were alive when Jesuswas to see him/his works and believed.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
You have to remember that even though Christians CLAIM to be the biggest religion each group/church is a minority in thier own religion.. even 2 churches of the same denomination will have differnt teachings based on personal prefance of the minister/chaplain/preacher......... So what holds true for one will not for all or even the majority most of the time... Thats why I say Christians are a minority.....1000's of differnt denominations .. lolz...

Faith is a cop-out...
If the only way you can accept an assertion is by faith, then you are conceding that it can't be taken on its own merits. It is intellectual bankruptcy. With faith you don't have to put any work into proving your case you can "just believe"......Dan Barker
Did I make a good point? thumbs up Smile I cant help it I'm a Kudos whore. P.S. Jesus is a MYTH.
Since Faith is the act of accepting something in the absence of, or in complete contradiction of evidence.

How can it be anything or than blind?

And @ Tackatack

JC was fictious, like Santa, so you won't see him.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Zen- Faith is not accepting of anything with contradictory evidence, that's not faith.
Do you believe Orodes III was king of Parthia in 6AD? If so please site a source other than josephus, since he's not accepted for context of Jesus either. Plus I have a lot of other documentation that references JC.
How many times must we hash out the definition of faith? It is not mutually exclusive to logic or reason. It is not held with contradictory evidence unless it is blind.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

(March 31, 2010 at 6:16 am)tackattack Wrote: Zen- Faith is not accepting of anything with contradictory evidence, that's not faith.
Do you believe Orodes III was king of Parthia in 6AD? If so please site a source other than josephus, since he's not accepted for context of Jesus either. Plus I have a lot of other documentation that references JC.
How many times must we hash out the definition of faith? It is not mutually exclusive to logic or reason. It is not held with contradictory evidence unless it is blind.

Then what would you call belief in Genesis when ALL the evidence states otherwise?

P.s Orodes III ?? never heard of him.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
literal belief in Genesis.. blind faith and ignorance.

Yet he was a king and yet you've heard of JC, some rabble-rousing Jew? Ther must be some documentation to back up the historicity, explaining your wealth of knowledge on the subject of JC. Enough knowledge for such an absolute claim at least. My point was it's a lot more likely that Jesus existed then Orodes III, yet one appears historical fact and the other pure fiction. All of tht aside my original point was thatif jesus did exist, then he'd be dead now and he knew he would be when he "said" the quoted scripture above.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation The blind trust can lead to faith theBorg 63 8525 August 17, 2016 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6747 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Well that's that christianity good riddance dyresand 11 2994 May 15, 2015 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Nope
  Christian "faith" vs. plain "faith" watchamadoodle 112 16963 March 28, 2015 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8460 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18219 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Taking blind faith and willful ignorance to a new level libalchris 5 2828 May 14, 2012 at 4:40 am
Last Post: znk666
  Robbing people blind.. for Jesus, of course. Erinome 65 26099 April 2, 2012 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: R-e-n-n-a-t