Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unbelievers, refute this argument!
Wink 
Unbelievers, refute this argument!

1. If cats exist, then Russell's teapot exists.
  2. Cats exist.
  3. Then, Russell's teapot exists.
The conclusion(3) follows logically and inescapably from the premises(1&2).   Indubitably Your move unbelievers! 
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
RE: Unbelievers, refute this argument!
I can spot the failure in 1. What logic dictates that the teapot must exist just because the cat does? Seems like the tired and refutable argument involving the need for a creator.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Fails to satisfy condition in the premise.  Your move, Heretic.   Wink
(lol, beaten to it......Gaaaaaaadget!)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
All glory to Russel's teapot!
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Prove to me that premise one is false! You can't. Also I have a cognitive faculty which self-authenticating nature is sufficient to warrant rational believe in the premise 1 even if you were to disprove it. 
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
I have experienced the presence of Russell's teapot, and hold it to be properly basic just like my belief in other minds! Also, if the proposition that Russell's teapot exists is false, there's no reason that evolutionary processes should select for true belief! Plus there is astronomically improbable order in the Universe, and it requires a cause! That is clearly nothing else but Russell's teapot. And there are also the words of Russell contained in his sacred writings, and they have never been disproved.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
No one has to, the premise cannot be relied upon to reach the conclusion arrived at.  Clearly, Russels teapot exists, but not for the reasons stated...and I don't see why you need reason to authenticate the one true teapot. 

...I find your lack of faith disturbing.  You're clearly a deep cover POE trying to discredit the only position which can account for the existence of my gall bladder and green left handed widgets.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 14, 2015 at 9:37 am)Rhythm Wrote: No one has to, the premise cannot be relied upon to reach the conclusion arrived at.  Clearly, Russels teapot exists, but not for the reasons stated...and I don't see why you need reason to authenticate the one true teapot. 

...I find your lack of faith disturbing.   You're clearly a deep cover POE trying to discredit the only position which can account for the existence of my gall bladder and green left handed widgets.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of faith; therefore, my belief transcends reason and is justified by faith alone. 

(April 14, 2015 at 9:42 am)Pizz-atheist Wrote: my belief transcends reason. 

Undermines reason, to be more precise.  
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 14, 2015 at 9:43 am)Sionnach Wrote:
(April 14, 2015 at 9:42 am)Pizz-atheist Wrote: my belief transcends reason. 

Undermines reason, to be more precise.  
Reason undermines reason. The only ground it leaves you to place a foot on is the lid of Russell's teapot.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza