Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 11:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism / Satanism
Atheism / Satanism
Hello, I'm new here and I just wanted to know what the difference between atheism and LeVeyan Satanism is? I brought it up to one of my friends and they said they were practically the same thing. Any insight into this?

Thanks in advance.
RE: Atheism / Satanism
Satanists don't eat babies.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I would insult you, so I will leave it to another.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 15, 2015 at 3:18 am)Kitan Wrote: I  would insult you, so I will leave it to another.

Why? I really would like to know what the difference between an atheist and LeVeyan Satanist is. As far as I can tell they're essentially the same thing.
(April 15, 2015 at 3:21 am)CuriousInquirer Wrote: Why? I really would like to know what the difference between an atheist and LeVeyan Satanist is. As far as I can tell they're essentially the same thing.

A satanist believes in a deity, of satanic origin, while the atheist is devoid of belief in such entities.  
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 15, 2015 at 3:24 am)Kitan Wrote:
(April 15, 2015 at 3:21 am)CuriousInquirer Wrote: Why? I really would like to know what the difference between an atheist and LeVeyan Satanist is. As far as I can tell they're essentially the same thing.

A satanist believes in a deity, of satanic origin, while the atheist is devoid of belief in such entities.  

LeVeyan Satanists do not believe in God, Satan, or the afterlife. They are in essense atheists.
(April 15, 2015 at 3:21 am)CuriousInquirer Wrote:
(April 15, 2015 at 3:18 am)Kitan Wrote: I  would insult you, so I will leave it to another.

Why? I really would like to know what the difference between an atheist and LeVeyan Satanist is. As far as I can tell they're essentially the same thing.
Huh  I don't understand what you don't understand. Atheists are just people who don't believe in gods. LeVeyan Satanist is a religion that uses Satanic symbology. I'm guessing your friend met LeVeyan Satanists don't believe in a literal devil as where theistic Satanists do. 

Edit- ARRGGH, ninja'd!
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
Hello CI, welcome Smile

Atheism is simply the rejection of the claim that one or more gods exist. That's it, nothing more. Anything else you try to say about a particular atheist is entirely unfounded.

http://robvalue.wix.com/atheism#!what-is-atheism/c57k

LeVeyan Satanism is a whole religion, which happens to not involve god worship so its members are likely to be atheist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVeyan_Satanism

So these Satanists are (almost certainly) atheists, but atheists are not in general Satanists. It's like all members of a particular woman's group are women, but not all women are members of that group nor share its ideas.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 15, 2015 at 3:29 am)Pizza Wrote:
Huh  I don't understand what you don't understand. Atheists are just people who don't believe in gods. LeVeyan Satanist is a religion that uses Satanic symbology. I'm guessing your friend met LeVeyan Satanists don't believe in a literal devil as where theistic Satanists do. 

I meant more from a philosophical standpoint. What sets them apart? Besides the obvious surface elements, I mean.

http://churchofsatan.com/faq-selling-souls.php

Satanists don't believe in anything, just like atheists.
Everything in Satanism, except the atheist part, sets them apart.

Atheism is not a philosophy, so it has no tenants or ideas. It's a nothing.

There is no general statement you can say about atheists, other than they are atheists. Not so for Satanists, they are making clear their philosophy.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanism seems fun FrustratedFool 50 2699 August 24, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27047 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue. Catholic_Lady 373 55506 September 24, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Deepthunk
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12442 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Atheism v Satanism Exian 38 7537 December 4, 2014 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Elskidor
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12114 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10461 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Atheistic Satanism? LiakosVikernes 31 14132 October 3, 2012 at 6:18 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 11990 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38045 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack