Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody go to a Unitarian Universalist church?
Anybody go to a Unitarian Universalist church?
By some definitions not a religion, but not all - they have their own unique ceremonies and a set of beliefs, but not specific rules or a specific cosmology and mythology. I've left a message with the local one asking exactly when their services are. I want to check it out because although I have some very close and supportive friends and family, I think I'd benefit from regularly meeting with a large group united in broad social ideals and social action, exploration of philosophy/spirituality/personal growth, and community work. I'd like to feel a sense of belonging to a wider community. I also love hymns and church environments on an aesthetic level, and they have their own non-partisan, non-theistic hymns and sermon styles.

There is also a local humanist group which shares resources and collaborates with the UU church, and even has some membership overlap with them, but I actually don't subscribe to all of the official beliefs of humanism, e.g. I don't believe in free will. There is no part of the UUs' defining creed that I disagree with. Also, I personally prefer the idea of more inclusive community. It's not important to me that the group I join for these purposes consists solely of people who don't believe in gods, an afterlife, etc. As long as we share the three goals above, I would like as great a diversity of backgrounds and personality types as possible, which I imagine will be smaller in a humanist organisation or other exclusively and definitively atheistic group.

Finally, I have been to Buddhist services in the past and enjoyed it, but the times and location of that sangha's meetings are inconvenient for me now. So the UU seems like the best option.

Anyone else ever been to a UU church? Was it right for you, and why/why not? General thoughts about the value of UU churches to society or individuals relative to other organisations?

Thanks,
Raz
RE: Anybody go to a Unitarian Universalist church?
Guess not.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I went to a UU church for a while, and sampled others in the region. The one I was most attracted to has been described as the most atheistic in the region. My impression is that they can vary considerably. If one rubs you the wrong way, you might try another.

It's funny that you mention the hymns because that aspect creeped me out. Like it was part of some unintentional brain washing. To each his or her own, I guess.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I am of a primarily UU background. I attended from 1985 to 1998. So, basically age 9 to age 22 or so. I LOVED the YRUU (the youth arm of the UU's). I felt accepted....by people I actually thought were cool (in their own quirky way).

But by 1998, I was kind of getting sick of the idea of just accepting everybody, and campaigning for reparations of everybody who has ever been wronged. I just became way too pragmatic for the UUs. Plus, I am not one who cares for hymns. I don't like singing, and the lyrics to those hymns are, at best, meaningless to me nowadays as a very firm atheist.

The UUs do do some great things, and I love seeing them at the Pride Parade in my city. Their activist spirit is important, but it needs to be tempered by other beliefs.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I've gone to a UU church a few times. I just don't care much for the sermons and the cotton candy theology that ignores the problem of evil. I may go back, but get involve more in the charity and social networking aspects of the church.
(April 15, 2015 at 6:50 pm)c172 Wrote: The UUs do do some great things, and I love seeing them at the Pride Parade in my city. Their activist spirit is important, but it needs to be tempered by other beliefs.
That's the problem I've noticed, the UU is too heavy on the political views despite being creedless. It's practically the Democrat Party Church.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Are Unitarian Universalists So Dull? BrianSoddingBoru4 18 1897 October 12, 2018 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician