Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God as a non-empirical being
God as a non-empirical being
I recently had a debate with a theist who made what I thought was a strange claim. In response to me saying I saw no evidence for a God, he asserted: "God is not an empirical being, so asking for empirical evidence is a simple category error." Although I pressed him to explain what he meant by this, all he did was to repeat the claim in various ways without elaborating or giving an argument to support it. Despite the fact that I had not said the evidence had to be empirical in nature, I felt the claim that God is not an empirical being needed to be justified. I said that empirical evidence requires observation and experience. If a God exists, I saw no reason we could not observe or experience said God, therefore this is not a category error. The theist eventually lost interest and stopped replying.
I was wondering:
1. Has anyone else had encountered this claim?
2. Is there an argument that supports this claim?
3. What are the counterarguments?
RE: God as a non-empirical being
That would mean that god is not based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience.  I agree. No counterargument is required.
(it's not an argument, your friend was excusing himself from thought on the count of god)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Well, the theist traps himself if he claims God is non-empirical, because he can then no longer make any claims to his nature, nor can he appeal to any sort of reason to believe in him beyond pure faith.

You see, saying God is non-empirical is just a way to avoid presenting proof, because while they're telling you he's non-empirical out of one corner of their mouth, they're telling you that they he watches you masturbate out of the other.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Typically, when people speak about God, they speak about a being who acts within the Universe. That is an empirical entity because its relation to the empirical world results in effects that we can define and measure by the empirical method. The difficulty is in distinguishing unknown causes with miraculous ones. There seems to be no way in principle to know if a miracle has occurred, which is why all justification for belief in miracles must be fallacious. It amounts to an appeal to ignorance. Now, there are objects in existence that we may not be able to subject to verification, such as the application of certain mathematical propositions, or the existence of intelligent extraterrestrials, or the experiences of an individual's particular thoughts or sensations, but we are also under no obligation to agree that they exist in whatever sense the claimant means without sufficient logical and empirical demonstration, both of which are required to establish high degrees of certainty. God as an abstract entity that sort of ties up the loose ends of our cognitive deficiencies may be necessary in thought, but this is not the same as being necessary in nature, either as in the one that is external to us and through which our brain perceives objects or as in one external to the external world, i.e. the universe. So, if we should not expect any empirical evidence for God's existence, we also cannot judge the soundness of related propositions, and logical validity itself proves nothing.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
It basically means the subject has entered Terminal Stupidity, and nothing can be done to help him any longer except get out of his way and never engage him in the matter again, lest he drag you down to his level and beat you with experience Wink
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Simple answer to that claim: "Empirical evidence for my god is impossible," does not have, as a necessary conclusion, "therefore I do not have a burden of proof to provide empirical evidence." Asserting that god can never have evidence doesn't change the way the burden of proof works, it just means that the god claim fails to meet it.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
A killer argument without base. As has been said, it's aimes to prevent further discussion.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(April 17, 2015 at 6:54 pm)Nestor Wrote: Typically, when people speak about God, they speak about a being who acts within the Universe. That is an empirical entity because its relation to the empirical world results in effects that we can define and measure by the empirical method. The difficulty is in distinguishing unknown causes with miraculous ones. There seems to be no way in principle to know if a miracle has occurred, which is why all justification for belief in miracles must be fallacious. It amounts to an appeal to ignorance. Now, there are objects in existence that we may not be able to subject to verification, such as the application of certain mathematical propositions, or the existence of intelligent extraterrestrials, or the experiences of an individual's particular thoughts or sensations, but we are also under no obligation to agree that they exist in whatever sense the claimant means without sufficient logical and empirical demonstration, both of which are required to establish high degrees of certainty. God as an abstract entity that sort of ties up the loose ends of our cognitive deficiencies may be necessary in thought, but this is not the same as being necessary in nature, either as in the one that is external to us and through which our brain perceives objects or as in one external to the external world, i.e. the universe. So, if we should not expect any empirical evidence for God's existence, we also cannot judge the soundness of related propositions, and logical validity itself proves nothing.

It seems to me, that a theist might respond that God is able to act within the Universe and that the effects of God's actions can be experienced or observed, but that the God itself remains outside the realm of experience or observation. But again, I can't think of any rational justification for making the claim. The sole reason seems to be to absolve the claimant from having any burden of proof.
(April 17, 2015 at 7:14 pm)noctalla Wrote: But again, I can't think of any rational justification for making the claim. The sole reason seems to be to absolve the claimant from having any burden of proof.

What makes you think that theist arguments have to be rational? They believe in the supernatural, which in itself is irrational.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(April 17, 2015 at 6:38 pm)noctalla Wrote: "God is not an empirical being, so asking for empirical evidence is a simple category error."

If not empirical and thus accessible to the senses,* then this being is confined to the realm of concepts only. Such a being would be disappointing to Christians, who generally assume God is all over his creation like flies on...you know. I'm not even aware of any theistic systems which posit a deity totally disconnected from the rest of the universe, although I don't know eastern religion too well.

Technically this non-empirical arguer is probably unbeatable. After all, you can conceive of almost anything you want to. It's possible that if a list of properties has been postulated for this being, that set could turn out internally inconsistent. But while unbeatable, the arguer hasn't done much. The only people who work fruitfully but strictly in the realm of concept are logicians and mathematicians. However, the instant this non-empirical being does something that affects the observable universe in any way, then she is no longer a non-empirical being, for an empirical claim has been made about her.  

That would include any communication with the being by thought, of course. Wink  

Two good general online resources are Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy and Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, both much better than I am.

SEP:  http://plato.stanford.edu/
IEP:  http://www.iep.utm.edu/

*The word "senses" is extended to mean some observable effect on the real world, so as to include X-rays and so on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2101 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Metaethics Part 1: Cognitivism/Non-cognitivism Disagreeable 24 1547 February 11, 2022 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7114 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 11993 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Non-existing objects KerimF 81 21809 June 28, 2017 at 2:34 am
Last Post: KerimF
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12528 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Self-Validating Empirical Epistemology? Ignorant 69 7797 May 26, 2016 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  The difference between a sceptic and a non-sceptic robvalue 12 1930 May 20, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  On non-belief and the existence of God FallentoReason 72 13753 August 21, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Non-literal atheism? stonedape 42 7650 August 20, 2014 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: stonedape