Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C.S. Lewis was not an Atheist (revised)
C.S. Lewis was not an Atheist (revised)
http://www.secularhumanism.org/library/a...ss_8_2.htm

Besides not believing in God, an atheist can come in all shapes and sizes.  The author of this article surprised me when he suggested Lewis's ignorance about true atheism can be laid at the feet of atheism's failure to educate people about true atheism.  This could be interpreted in many ways.  One interpretation that probably won't work is a school of atheism..  That's what I think of when you say educate. Having a school of atheism is like having a flock of eagles. How do you interpret this?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: C.S. Lewis was not an Atheist (revised)
I think he means be outspoken about what it means, not to teach it in school.
Only recently have atheists really become vocal about what it really means. So in part I think he's correct. However, it is very difficult to actually get some theists to understand at all that atheism really is a simple lack of belief in deities. For a variety of reasons, they misunderstand or simply cannot wrap their head around this simple fact. It does not mean we worship Satan, it does not mean we are just angry at God, and so forth. These are still common misconceptions held by many theists despite the attempts from actual atheists to explain that Richard Dawkins is not our prophet and we don't worship evolution. So, I'd say it's still at least half the theists fault, as many of them simply can't grasp it or want to pervert the meaning of it for their own ends.

My mother even told me she doesn't think I've lost belief in God, simply that I'm searching, or struggling, or something.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(April 18, 2015 at 5:55 pm)Aroura Wrote: I think he means be outspoken about what it means, not to teach it in school.
Only recently have atheists really become vocal about what it really means.  So in part I think he's correct.  However, it is very difficult to actually get some theists to understand at all that atheism really is a simple lack of belief in deities.  For a variety of reasons, they misunderstand or simply cannot wrap their head around this simple fact.  It does not mean we worship Satan, it does not mean we are just angry at God, and so forth.  These are still common misconceptions held by many theists despite the attempts from actual atheists to explain that Richard Dawkins is not our prophet and we don't worship evolution.  So, I'd say it's still at least half the theists fault, as many of them simply can't grasp it or want to pervert the meaning of it for their own ends.

My mother even told me she doesn't think I've lost belief in God, simply that I'm searching, or struggling, or something.

And we can't distance ourselves from Dawkins or evolution in an effort to prove to Christians that we're ok.  Considering the reprehensible things their leaders and clergy do, we really don't have to prove anything.

Christians believe that God is the only reason to act morally. They have to believe that to convince people that they need God.  So the idea of a moral atheist...well they have to find fault with that.  Your actions are right but your motives are wrong. You're just trying to prove you're more righteous than God. etc.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
I've read most of C.S. Lewis at one time or another, mostly in my teens and twenties. He's big on mythology, and feeling. I'm pretty sure he was an atheist. He felt there was no god. Then thanks to desire and J.R.R. Tolkien, he felt there was one.

What Lewis never was, is a skeptic.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Revised Standard Version Bible has Dead Sea Scroll input ?!?! vorlon13 17 3773 February 20, 2017 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  C.S. Lewis and the Argument From Morality Jenny A 15 6169 August 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  C.S. Lewis was not an Atheist Rhondazvous 3 915 April 18, 2015 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut