Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The story of Noah (in the Bible) is so infuriating...
The story of Noah (in the Bible) is so infuriating...
I will preface this by saying my father has a P.H.D. is qualified as a Chemist so I know he's not stupid. I'm just venting some frustration. You when Richard Dawkins (who by the way I don't pay much attention too) talks about the perfect teacher/lecturer who teaches science perfectly but who simultaneously hold views contrary to science? Well my father fits that description perfectly. He once said to me: "I believe the Earth is 6000 years old less than I used to." And he teaches people about science...

So anyway, I was watching a television show this morning called "The Big Questions" and they were asking one Big Question (as opposed to three small ones like usually happens): Is there free will? Over lunch we spoke about it. I first mentioned the Canaanites having their free will taken away and I can't believe my father said killing was acceptable. Apparently everyone was killing each other back then so that makes the genocide of the Canaanites acceptable. Apparently one needed to kill to survive.

Putting Canaan aside, I began to talk about Noah's flood. I touched on the absurdity of the story. Even as a child I could not get my head around this story. Like how did all the food and animals fit aboard? What about the plants? The freshwater fish? The dinosaurs? Did Noah save every species of bacteria that couldn't survive in water? So many details are missing.

I don't know that much about the Bible, but I know enough to know the flood was not local. This is something Mummadans are always clamouring about too - how the Quran flood is local (when it actually isn't see Quran 11:42) and how the Biblical flood is global and therefore impossible. According to my father, there is enough water on Earth so that if the Earth was all at sea level (with no elevations) the Earth would flood like the Bible says.

It's stupid to say there were no mountains because there must have been mountains because how else would Noah end up on Mount Ararat? It gets worse. Apparently, mountains suddenly formed in the time between the rain stopping and Noah finding mount Ararat because the movement of the tectonic plates spend up or something, and Noah was on the ark for long enough (between the rain stopping and finding Ararat) for mountains to suddenly form.

Now that I think about it I should have asked these questions:

1. Just how local is "local"? It was obviously big enough to warrant building a huge boat.
2. If it was really was "that local" then why didn't Noah simply move away from the flood area? In the time it took to build the boat he could have traveled far enough away, surely.
3. Surely there are better ways to teach people lesson than to flood them all (and therefore take away their free will)?

I don't understand why he believes this, as it sounded like he was making up excuses as he went along. There's that book on why intelligent people believe stupid things which I ought to get. I can't remember who the author is though.

RE: The story of Noah (in the Bible) is so infuriating...
It would answer a lot of your questions if you went to a Christian site like Answers in Genesis.
The earth got flooded because of inbreeding from fallen angels- it said Noah was perfect in his generations- meaning his genetics.
The Nephilim were on the earth in those days and AFTERWARD (Canaanites specifically),  these were the giants- the "Mighty men" of old- the gods of the ancients. They were half human, half devil.
The remains of giants have been taken from America when they were found in the 1800s and placed in the Smithsonian never to be seen again. something about not fitting into the Evolutionary fairy tale.
But some emerged in the last decades down in South America (out of reach of certain authorities).
Trey Smith shows them and does a good job on the Nephilim, it is long but insigntful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zz8_MxcnzY

There were no high mountains prior to the flood, it said Noah landed in the mountains of Ararat -
NOT ON the mountain of Ararat.
Did you see the video I posted about how this myth is just ripped off from earlier myths? Maybe that would would grease a few gears. I'll go get it:

http://youtu.be/_um69RqBpSw

To me, there's one reason alone why people believe shite like this: indoctrination. It's probably been beaten into him since a child that this is true, so reality must bend and even snap in order for it to remain true.

It must be extremely frustrating, I'm sorry to hear about it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Quote:According to my father, there is enough water on Earth so that if the Earth was all at sea level (with no elevations) the Earth would flood like the Bible says.

But it isn't which kind of leaves him up a creek...without an ark.

Don't listen to the prof.  AiG is suitable only for morons like him.

Try this instead.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html
(April 19, 2015 at 6:12 pm)professor Wrote: It would answer a lot of your questions if you went to a Christian site like Answers in Genesis.
The earth got flooded because of inbreeding from fallen angels- it said Noah was perfect in his generations- meaning his genetics.
The Nephilim were on the earth in those days and AFTERWARD (Canaanites specifically),  these were the giants- the "Mighty men" of old- the gods of the ancients. They were half human, half devil.
The remains of giants have been taken from America when they were found in the 1800s and placed in the Smithsonian never to be seen again. something about not fitting into the Evolutionary fairy tale.
But some emerged in the last decades down in South America (out of reach of certain authorities).
Trey Smith shows them and does a good job on the Nephilim, it is long but insigntful:

There were no high mountains prior to the flood, it said Noah landed in the mountains of Ararat -
Wow.
I'm kind of new here (signed up a while back, haven't been super active), so we've never met.  Hi, how are you? 
Do you like nice stories?  That's good.  I bet you are a super special person! Big Grin 
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I've heard about both Answers in Genesis and Talk Origins actually, from watching The Atheist Experience. I was mainly just venting my frustration but I'll have a look at both websites. I wouldn't want to be accused of being "close-minded", now would I? If Answers in Genesis is as bad as I've heard it is then it'll be a good laugh.

But seriously, my dad was making it up as he went along. When I pointed out his contraction he dug himself even deeper .

I'll check your video tomorrow Robvalue. But that video alone wouldn't be enough I don't think, because people may to say the fact that different cultures have flood myths is further proof it happened and they are "borrowing from the truth" or something like that.

Shhh...shhhh...Profs a deep cover poe expertly discrediting the christian position.....everyone outta simmer down and let him do his work.   Angel
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Thanks for the plug Rythm. Always appreciated.
Hi Aroura, never was into fiction much (did read Tom Sawyer as a kid).
Not into sarcasm very much either.
Oh and welcome back.
(April 19, 2015 at 6:12 pm)professor Wrote: OIt would answer a lot of your questions if you went to a Christian site like Answers in Genesis.

It would answer even more of your questions if you pulled your brain out through your ears, put it through a blender and then stuff it back into the small cavity in the middle of your prodigiously thick skull through your eye sockets.

That way you would be deaf, blind, and the walnut sized lump of fat that once passed for your brain would be thoroughly dead, and you therefore ideally prepared to accept answers in genesis as fact.
Chuck, I suppose that creative bit of words above was directed to myself,
but it does have the look of aiming at NoMore's question.
You need to do better.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get your story straight LinuxGal 1 951 November 29, 2022 at 5:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] The Story John 6IX Breezy 115 9870 November 21, 2022 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  What do Catholics think of Frollo from "Hunchback of Notre Dame" story? Woah0 2 623 August 26, 2022 at 9:46 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44095 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
Thumbs Down The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. onlinebiker 75 6901 September 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The ridiculous story of the temptation of Jesus Simon Moon 24 2587 March 4, 2021 at 6:05 am
Last Post: GUBU
  angel story video form Drich 107 10273 April 23, 2020 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Drich
  The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!! android17ak47 126 9113 October 12, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Questions about noah ark king krish 210 47499 April 8, 2017 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation Astonished 47 6130 January 10, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet