Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game of Thrones Season 5 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
Game of Thrones Season 5 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
So let's discuss season 5 in this thread.
I have read the books and one of my favorite things about watching the series is catching the differences between the books and the series, and wondering why?
The big ones:

Overall, Weiss and Benioff do such a great job. I can't imagine having so many vital story lines and trying to get enough in and fitting it into such a relatively small package. Truly awesome.
It has been released that some characters will die this season that aren't dead in the books. Who do you think it'll be?
I think it might be Jaime or Cersei.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: Game of Thrones Season 5 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
There are a lot of things about the show that I prefer to the books. It's not looking like this season will change my mind.
It's on! It's on! Panic
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I can't watch until they put it up on HBOGo. Arrrgh.
Where do we think Littlefinger is taking Sansa?

Obviously Jaime going to Dorne is a new wrinkle. We did get to meet (briefly) one of my favorite characters, Areo Hotah. I'd love to see a battle between him and Jaime, but likely we'll meet Ser Aerys Oakheart soon.

When do we go back to the Iron Islands? Gotta be soon. I wanna see the Kingsmoot, and I wanna meet Aeron Damphair!

So I watched the first 2 episodes. They seemed somewhat uneventful to me. More Dany on her noble but getting boring anti-slavery crusade.

Mance Rayder or however you spell his name is a dumb bitch. Seriously, just pledge to Stannis, even if you don't mean it. Please...

I'm liking the direction they're taking Sansa in though, she looks like a mini Catelyn now
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

I won't ruin episode 3, but I was surprised.

In response to the first post, I'm guessing they change some things in the show because they feel it wouldn't work so well if they did it how it happens in the book. Sometimes books just don't translate well onto screen, they can't get the dramatic effect if they keep it the same. I imagine some of it is to (depending on the scene) fill or cut down on time too.

Could also just be to keep the fans of the books on edge. I guess a big theme in Thrones is the idea that nobody is safe, so if they follow the books exactly nothing will shock the diehard fans.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(April 26, 2015 at 10:21 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: So I watched the first 2 episodes. They seemed somewhat uneventful to me. More Dany on her noble but getting boring anti-slavery crusade.

Yeah, I've felt like Dany has gotten more and more boring since the end of season 1... which sucks because I really like her, and I want her to (or Tyrion) to win the Iron Throne! Sad  I get that she's trying to learn to be a ruler and that if she is ever to assume the Iron Throne that she needs to have experience and whatnot or it'll just be a disaster, but I'm not super into her story.

Except for her dragons.  Dany and her dragons are awesome.  I cried when she locked the two up in those dungeons, and I'm still super mad at her for leaving them down there.

ANIMAL CRUELTY!!

FREE THE DRAGONS!!

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:I'm liking the direction they're taking Sansa in though, she looks like a mini Catelyn now

I've always liked Sanza.  She can be a snotty little bitch sometimes, but she's gone from a naive little girl who was just a pawn in other people's game to someone who is starting to get wise to the game and act in her own interest.  I guess I could always understand her motives, even though I didn't agree with them sometimes, so that why I've liked her the whole time.

I was annoyed with her for turning Brienne away.  "You bowed to the king!"  Well, so did you, Sanza!  Hey, pot, have you met the kettle?!?  Rolleyes  Little Finger is going to screw Sanza over (or screw Sanza, one or the other...) it's only a matter of time.

(April 26, 2015 at 10:36 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: I won't ruin episode 3, but I was surprised.

NO SPOILERZ!!!  I have to watch on HBOGo, too, so I have to wait until Monday nights to see the new episodes!  EEEK!!!  Is there more Arya???

And WTF is going on with Bran?  Two episodes in and we haven't even touched base with him yet!  He's gotta be in episodes 3.

I really like Sam and Gilly, and I wanted to smack Stannis's wife for telling her daughter not to talk to Gilly.  Angry  And I love how annoyed Gilly was with Sam's teaching methods.

Jon is, meh... not super interested in his story.

I kind of can't wait for Tyrion and Dany to meet.  Dany's heritage coupled with Tyrion's political savvy could be a dangerous combination.  For the rest of Westeros, that is.

I really like Bronn and Jaime - almost as much as I liked Bronn and Tyrion.  Okay, I just like Bronn.  Tongue 

And Cersei is being her usual shitty self.

Can't wait for tonight.... Big Grin
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Bran isn't in this series.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Captain Marvel movie w/ spoilers Rahn127 0 350 March 9, 2019 at 2:04 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  I wan't to express, that I disliked Rick and Morty season 3 Der/die AtheistIn 38 2568 February 6, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  'Tis the Season (almost) -- your favorite Nativity photos here! Jehanne 38 2882 December 27, 2018 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Upcoming movie movie trailer discussion Alex K 50 6088 October 22, 2018 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Video Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 357 66837 January 28, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  X-Files season 11 (maybe) Foxaèr 10 1912 January 26, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Tongue Let's talk Black Mirror season 4 Aoi Magi 23 3700 January 15, 2018 at 9:35 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Which is the best survivor season? ErGingerbreadMandude 4 1070 October 22, 2017 at 9:34 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Game of Thrones Season 7 trailer, "The Long Walk" Aegon 3 924 March 30, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Do not watch the movie, "The Arrival" because it is pro-life propaganda. {Spoilers} Foxaèr 21 5055 February 6, 2017 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda