Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fear your mind for it is hell
I don't particularly like horror all that much but every now and then I'll indulge myself in some scary stories, movies or games. Just recently I had one of these fits and read several scary stories before going to bed (bad decision). While I was able to laugh at the absurdity and illogical-ness of the stories when I was awake, my mind would have none of my rationality while I was asleep and so began a nightmare.

I suppose it's a testament to how much I've matured over the years that what few nightmares I have no longer focus on physical terrors but on psychological ones (either that or it's because a couple of the stories weren't about physical horrors but mental. Personally I like my first reason, though.) However these are the most frustrating since there is nothing you can do about the threat. It knows your thoughts and has no physical manifestaion that you can either run from or beat to oblivion so you're basically screwed until you can gain back your reason or wake up.

If there is a hell, I think that this is what it must be like. You are in a constant state of fear with no physical world to grasp onto or access to your rational faculties.
Truly hell is as bad as you can imagine.

What do you guys think? Is hell just a primitive state of mind imposed on our modern selves? Also, any tips on how to regain your wakeful intelligence in your dreams would be helpful.
RE: Fear your mind for it is hell
I don't know how to reawaken from dreams and I have tried. When I was an adolescent, I had a recurring dream where I was in a room with two doors without locks. Outside there was something evil. If I let go of the door, it would get in but if I didn't let go, it might sneak around and try to get me from the other door. I couldn't hear what the monster was doing so I didn't know if I should let go of the door or not.

If there is a hell t would be like some nightmares I have had but luckily there is no hell.
I'm not so much trying to reawaken from a dream, just trying to bring real world thinking into dreamland so that I might take good action ie. barricade one door and then wait by the other one with a baseball bat or rush out one door when the monster comes through the other instead of thinking that defending your position is the only thing you can do.

This is, of course, purely hypothetical.
(April 20, 2015 at 9:42 am)urlawyer Wrote: I'm not so much trying to reawaken from a dream, just trying to bring real world thinking into dreamland so that I might take good action ie. barricade one door and then wait by the other one with a baseball bat or rush out one door when the monster comes through the other instead of thinking that defending your position is the only thing you can do.

This is, of course, purely hypothetical.

We had a thread on lucid dreaming. Perhaps that would help answer your questions?
I found out nightmares stopped being a problem as I got older. It's the waking world that is scary now.
i can control my dreams so when ever i had one as a child even now rarely i pretty much kick ass and take names
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(April 20, 2015 at 8:13 am)urlawyer Wrote: I don't particularly like horror all that much but every now and then I'll indulge myself in some scary stories, movies or games. Just recently I had one of these fits and read several scary stories before going to bed (bad decision). While I was able to laugh at the absurdity and illogical-ness of the stories when I was awake, my mind would have none of my rationality while I was asleep and so began a nightmare.

I suppose it's a testament to how much I've matured over the years that what few nightmares I have no longer focus on physical terrors but on psychological ones (either that or it's because a couple of the stories weren't about physical horrors but mental. Personally I like my first reason, though.) However these are the most frustrating since there is nothing you can do about the threat. It knows your thoughts and has no physical manifestaion that you can either run from or beat to oblivion so you're basically screwed until you can gain back your reason or wake up.

If there is a hell, I think that this is what it must be like. You are in a constant state of fear with no physical world to grasp onto or access to your rational faculties.
Truly hell is as bad as you can imagine.

What do you guys think? Is hell just a primitive state of mind imposed on our modern selves? Also, any tips on how to regain your wakeful intelligence in your dreams would be helpful.

You need to diet, and by that I mean eat right and cut the sugar and all the crap and drink only water and nothing else (because anything else is just sugar water), and EXERCISE every day for 30 minutes. I mean real exercise.

I haven't had a bad dream in years.
Do you have any kids? You don't know nightmares until you have kids. I would love to have psychological nightmares again. Dreaming of real world nightmares is terrifying.

On another note, I have (or get? It's episodic) sleep paralysis, which makes for some pretty horrific experiences. Nowadays, I sleep right through it, but I used to shit my pants.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(April 22, 2015 at 12:13 pm)Exian Wrote: On another note, I have (or get? It's episodic) sleep paralysis, which makes for some pretty horrific experiences. Nowadays, I sleep right through it, but I used to shit my pants.
Erm, are we speaking metaphorically?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Haha, metaphorically, metaphorically speaking.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9064 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pope Fuckface Is Either Losing His Mind Or Remembered How The Church Traditionally Minimalist 12 2136 October 10, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 22889 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Ex-Christians: How do you lose your fear of hell? KiwiNFLFan 29 5639 November 20, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 27709 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What the Hell,is Hell anyway? Vern Cliff 31 6988 October 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  If God changed his mind Lemonvariable72 204 34806 August 31, 2015 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Hostage to fear Spacetime 232 29290 July 28, 2015 at 6:24 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How to save your children from hell urlawyer 77 10155 March 31, 2015 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.) Strider 25 6750 December 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: abaris